First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

maculated

Aug 28, 2004, 4:44 AM
Post #26 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who Surfs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to be okay at surfing for an inland suburban kid until I plowed my face into the sand bar at Huntington Beach and broke my nose. Never got on a board after that.

I figured when I went back to grad school I'd surf again, so I'm fully equipped, and I had a partner for awhile but she moved. Then I was like, Hey, moving back to SLO this summer, I'll get good again! And blast, I broke my knee cap. It will happen this year, it will. I don't have a $300 surfboard under my deck for looks.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 28, 2004, 5:24 AM
Post #27 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mac, will you be my mentor ... please? :D

maculated

Aug 28, 2004, 6:54 AM
Post #28 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What, for sucky surfing? Come on out!

scuclimber

Aug 28, 2004, 9:59 AM
Post #29 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to be okay at surfing for an inland suburban kid until I plowed my face into the sand bar at Huntington Beach and broke my nose. Never got on a board after that.

I figured when I went back to grad school I'd surf again, so I'm fully equipped, and I had a partner for awhile but she moved. Then I was like, Hey, moving back to SLO this summer, I'll get good again! And blast, I broke my knee cap. It will happen this year, it will. I don't have a $300 surfboard under my deck for looks.

That sucks. I grew up in Huntington, but never surfed there, go figure.... :roll: Been bodyboarding since I was 5. I've been a couple times in Santa Cruz and like it a lot, but my cash is elsewhere at this point, so I haven't really taken up surfing yet in bulk.

Colin

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 28, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #30 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What, for sucky surfing? Come on out!

pfft, better than none at all. i'm digging out of the debt hole right now, but am planning on flying out next spring/summer.

Partner oldsalt

Aug 28, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #31 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Surfed from Barking Sands to Coco Palms back on Kauai. Been to Jacks' Beach once. Still shapin?
I built #50 last December and I will be doing another for the same customer next month. #50 was 9'0" and I had one 5'10" on the Junior East Coast Tour two years ago.

Yesterday, my 19 year old surfing son made my day by finally asking me to teach him to shape and glass. My eldest son is a teacher like me, and I am thrilled to pass this art on to one of the 3 boys.

In reply to:
anyone had run-ins with sharks?
Three times in many years:

Met one in dirty shore break in Indialantic, FL and we brushed each other in equal panic. I found myself on dry sand with an abraded leg, asking "What was that?" I don't know what he might have said.

Surfed regularly with one "The Landlord" at Maili Point in '69. Story was he would not bother you if you were with the guy who lived on the point named Kaimana. I was with Kaimana so he cruised by and left.

Christmas '68, hundreds of sharks cruised along Brevard County beaches from the Space Center to Sebastian Inlet. I stayed on the beach.

grippedclimer

Aug 28, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #32 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I surfed for many years in and around Huntington Beach in the younger days. Got into climbing 10 years ago, had kids, married, career, sports with kids. Now, when I have time to escape, it is to the mountains. Not only that, I live in Phoenix now. However, I did and do manage to get out in the water every now and then when I am visiting home. Love the Ocean.

grippedclimer

climber_chick

Aug 29, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #33 of 33 (598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I surf. Milk foam that is. Being a barrista and all, when making dry cappuccinos you must surf the foam onto the espresso without getting any milk mixed in. Tricky, eh? I thought so too. :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook