RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinenow

Aug 29, 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1147 views)
Shortcut

new boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking to buy a better pair of alping climbing boots I do most of my climbing in winter but the temps on the coast dont get to low.Right now I own a pair of soloman SM experts.I need a boot that will handle mixed routes as well as not destroying my feet on the approch.Some one recomended scrapa vega plastic double boot any Ideas would be helpfull thanks

cgailey

Aug 29, 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: new boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been really happy with my sportiva Lhotse's for the past several years. As far as comfort goes, these are top notch...approach and on route. Be that as it may, these are single layer leather boots with insulation, so they will never be as warm as plastics. Super gaiters or overboots mitigate this quite nicely, and the increased performance on mixed terrain will more than make up for the lesser warmth. Other popular choices are the Nepal Extremes, K4's, and Scarpa Freney's.

landrvrnut21

Aug 30, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: new boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of La Sportiva Makulu's that I wear 90% of the time. They are stiff enough for even technical ice, but they are still usable on the approach. I have even worn them backpacking, and kickin it around campus on nasty, snowy days. They are very comfortable, and with the right sock combination, very warm.

If you want something that a little less stiff, check out the La Sportiva Glacier. Not as stiff, but can still handle mixed routes. I great light mountaineering/heavy backpackng boot.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook