Premier Sponsor:

skier-climber
Deleted

May 14, 2002, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

what is aid climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im kind of new to this sport and i climb at my local gym but i don't know what aid climbing is lol

rickoldskool

May 14, 2002, 6:24 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

what is aid climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this topic isn't a hook . So in a nutshell, when your in the gym your freeclimbing. You use your hands and feet to ascend the walls. With AID climbing your equipment, such as pitons,nuts, cams, bolts etc. is placed as you ascend. You are climbing up on your equipment. Click THISto see an example.

[ This Message was edited by: rickoldskool on 2002-05-13 23:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rickoldskool on 2002-05-13 23:29 ]

harry

Jun 2, 2002, 7:28 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im still confused, so is trad a type of aid climbing, it prob isnt cos then it would be aid climbing, but whats the difference between the two?

overlord

Jun 2, 2002, 7:40 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no, when you trad you use the rack ONLY for protection, when you aid you pull on the rack. got it?? so if you pull on a bolt when you sport youre actually A0 aiding.

jhwnewengland

Jun 2, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trad is a form of free climbing, and the protection you place (cams, nuts, etc.) is used only as protection in the event of a fall. The minute you use the equipment to help ascend the rock, the climb becomes an aid climb. In aid, you can pull on a nut after you've placed it, or stand on a sling that you've hung from a cam. In fact, if you're trad or sport climbing and take a fall, using equipment such as the rope to stop the fall, the ascent is no longer a free ascent unless you lower to the ground and try again.

jono13

Jun 3, 2002, 1:16 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its dumb, thats what it is! (ooohhh, im gonna get ripped apart by doing this)

krustyklimber

Jun 6, 2002, 4:49 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No Jon,
We reaize that you are just a kid with a poor attitude, so I am going to ignore your attempts to pick a fight! And I suggest everyone else does the same!

I've borrowed this quote before, but never so appropriately!

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man (or boy in this case) Mark Twain

Jeff

P.S. Jon, can you tell that you and Jeremy are on my S***list? Jeremy got himself booted once before, and if I had my way you'd both be gone now! Stop trying to pick fights, PLEASE!

tenn_dawg

Jun 6, 2002, 5:02 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That may be the best quote i've ever heard. Rock on!
Travis

beyond_gravity

Jun 6, 2002, 5:28 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey Jeff,

I've never tryed to pick a fight with you! (or anyone)

I know that I mock Pete, but Geez man, why do aid climbers have to be so uptight and close minded! Ya, i've done some aid and I dont want to go around and tell everyone I have because they say "Gay ass Aid climber" It's YOURSELFS that give YOUSELFS a bad name. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, i'm trying to make a point and hopefully you guys will loosen up. I dont ask Q's in the Aid Forum anymore because if I ask somthing thats allready been answered, i'm gonna get slammed for it. Even if the search is down and I dont know what the technique is called. What does this say about aid climbers?

~Jeremy

atg200

Jun 6, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its because you say stuff like this continually:

"I dont want to go around and tell everyone I have because they say "Gay ass Aid climber"

I posted some answers to your questions here. Really, the systems you had trouble with were so fundamental that the questions were similar to a post saying "How do I get the rope up there" in the sport climbing forum.

Finally, your first few Pete mocking were pretty funny, but it got old in a hurry. Find some new material.

To answer the original question concisely, aid climbing is where gear is used to ascend the rock as opposed to free climbing where gear is only to proteect you in case of a fall.

krustyklimber

Jun 6, 2002, 7:16 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeremy,

If you had read and understood my last post you would realize that it was Jon that I was accusing of trying to pick fights, a fact to which he has admitted! You don't pick fights but you do support Jon when he does, an admirable trait in a friend, but two wrongs...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10926&forum=32

You have twice this week attacked aid climbers as "closed minded oldies". While you and Jon claim to be under attack http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10881&forum=17
and
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10926&forum=32

If you had gone back to read what I wrote there you would know that I am not "closed minded" at all! And you'd also know that I am not just an aid climber (though it currently holds most of my attention), I participate in all forms of climbing, just like you claim to.

This is exactly the kind of thing Andrew/atg200 asked us not to do. And I'm sorry, but you two have gone too far, and insulted me one time too many!

I'm so sorry now, to say that the very first thing I ever posted on this site was defending you against a bashing you were taking over your consistantly poor spelling (something I have tried to help you with repeatedly, m-w.com ring a bell? It's an online dictionary, learn to use it, I do), I don't feel like I've been repaid for my kindness to you very well at all! And Jon is obviously beyond help so I haven't even tried, his attitude is appalling!

I really wish you two would try to be productive members of this community, it obviously takes up a lot of both of your time! I'm sorry to unload on you guys like this, but Jeremy I know there's a good man inside you, and I'd like to see you grow up to be him. I don't know Jon well enough to say but he's your friend so you must see some good in him also.

Let's try to be men about this, Eh?

Still your friend,

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-06-06 12:25 ]

dsafanda

Jun 6, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jon and Jeremy,

Here's some recent news. Alex Huber and Ammon Mcneeley just cruised Zodiac in 6 hours and 15 minutes. Mostly aid climbing! That's what I call a mind expanding climbing feat!

Here's more news. You couldn't hold their jock straps.

[ This Message was edited by: dsafanda on 2002-06-06 13:31 ]

taxexile

Jun 7, 2002, 2:56 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the following definition of aid climbing:

No pain, no train
Let the gear take the strain.

traide

Jun 7, 2002, 3:15 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aside from the fact that this thread turned into something waaaaaaaaaay different from the original post, I think what was said NEEDED to be said, and I'm glad that someone finally did it.

As to the ongoing argument between which forms of climbing are the best, I say

Every man to his own.

I for one do mostly sport and a little trad, and don't enjoy aid much, but that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to, as is everyone else on this site. Some people really enjoy aid climbing, and that's fine with me, however it doesn't mean that I have to demean their favored method just because I would rather do a different type of climbing.

Don't go bashing other people's opinions or methods just because you don't like to do them yourself. (You know who you are.)

rocknpowda

Jun 7, 2002, 3:56 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't we all just get along? Whether its "gay" or "cheating" or whatever people want to say about aid climbing, obviously alot of people enjoy it. I'd reccomend that Jon and Jeremy and Jeff or whoever is involved in the tiff that took up so much of this forum get together and do a mixed free and aid climb together so the aid climber among you can get his fix and the free climbers can get their fix and you can all have a good time hanging out and getting high . . . up the wall that is-or whatever. Hell bring along a boulderer as well so he or she can add a sit down start to the bottom. And can I reccomend bringing a ghetto blaster for the long belays?

krustyklimber

Jun 8, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that is a great idea Pete/rocknpowda I would be glad to take the boys out and teach'em a thing or two, and a sit start would be good!

We did drag this thread off the track and beat it to death, so lets just let it rest in peace!

Lets all get together, and just be happy we can climb at all! Life is too short and precious to squabble over such a trivial thing as what kind of rockclimbing someone else does!

Divided we rot,
United we ferment!

Let's Party

Jeff

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook