Premier Sponsor:

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #1 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Cell Phones & Service???????????????
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone suggest a good cell phone service that doesn't completely suck like everything offered by US Cellular? Contract is ending in October (thank god---finally!) and want to get as far away from those assholes as possible.

Something with a good number of anytime minutes, free weekends, and free nighttime minutes that start earlier than freakin' 9pm so I can actually call my Mom in Florida.

Something with decent reception. I go to "ROAM" as soon as I get 180 miles from home; sometimes much less. That's ridiculous, specifically when they show you their little "map" and it shows coverage much further than that. I went from ROAM to No Service and I was only 230 miles north of Milwaukee, camping not to damn far off the beaten path.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had any luck with Verizon. That's who I have been thinking about the most.

Also, suggestions on phones? Is there a specific kind I should look for? One that gets good, no, damn good reception most of the time (I can understand not getting a whole lot in the middle of the Khumbu Ice Fall, but it should get reception when the furthest big city is only 20 miles away)?

hangerlessbolt

Aug 30, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cell Phones & Service??????????????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*Verizon*

T-mobile was disappointing
Sprint was horrible for the PacNW area
AT&T "sucks" (as described by my climbing partner 'ffaallliinngg')

Partner holdplease2

Aug 30, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #3 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have AT&T and it has been great for me. The $99 GSRM service plan allows unlimited calls all the time and no roaming charges, ever. I've used it for a couple of years and have traveled extensively. It does not work in Yosemite valley. It is not digital/ana., it is some other sort of tower. Not a techie, can't help you with a better explanation.

There are some areas where the coverage does not work. AT&T has been able to provide me with very accurate information about where it does and does not work.

Customer service has been good.

-Kate.

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #4 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kate,

Is that 99 a month? If so, that's a rip. WAY more than I wish to pay. We're paying around 50 a month right now for two phones. No sense in doubling it.

Or, am I not understanding something?

(how unusual would that be, eh?)

maculated

Aug 30, 2004, 8:18 AM
Post #5 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cutting and pasting from SuperTopo . . .

It's not the service so much as the phone. I have people coming up to me in Camp 4 all the time asking me my server. I've got Verizon, but often so do they. I don't have a phone that's color, or has fancy rings, or games, or cameras. It's just a medium-size grey phone. It just gets awesome, reliable reception. If you want good reception, invest in a phone that does just that.

dookie

Aug 30, 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #6 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve,
I have verizon, too, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with them overall. Sprint dicked Mike around when he left for Iraq (wouldn't let him suspend his service with them even though he was deploying for war, so he got stuck with like $300 in fees or some crap) so we won't ever go with them again for anything ;)
I pay $39.99 a month for 400 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and am in the 'in' network so that I can have unlimited calls to anyone else who has verizon. It's rare that I find myself without reception - even had it most of the time in the middle of nowhere Montana! I get reception in rural NH as well as rural CT. No idea what it's like in Wisconsin, but I'd ask a rep at a store or kiosk about it (they have maps of their coverage areas on line, too). But it's true, having a phone that gets good reception is key.
I only have a cell phone, no land line at home, so I covet my daytime minutes ;) but I dont' make a lot of calls mid week during the day since I'm at work - so it works fine for me. I haven't gone over my minutes in over 5 months now, so my monthly payment has been consistant.
My friend has at&t and loves it, too, so that could be another option.
Hope you find one that works for you!

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #7 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Abi,

Those motherf*ckers should be beaten to death.

I just e-mailed Sprints headquarters with this:

In reply to:
I'd just like to tell you how terrible I think your company is. I was considering your service until I read this from a good friend of mine. Your company screwed a Marine deploying for war in order to make the almighty dollar. I wish the worst for whomever did this to Mike and their family. Here is a DIRECT quote from Abi, his fiance.

"Steve,
I have verizon, too, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with them overall. Sprint dicked Mike around when he left for Iraq (wouldn't let him suspend his service with them even though he was deploying for war, so he got stuck with like $300 in fees or some crap) so we won't ever go with them again for anything"

May your company rot in hell, go bankrupt, and you all lose your jobs!

Sincerely,

Stephen D. Schaefgen

P.S. I will tell this story to ALL that think about getting Sprint for service. I am also going to post this on my website and all over the Internet.

danooguy

Aug 30, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #8 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All cell phones are glorified CB radios. Line-of-sight communications is inherently flawed.

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #9 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True, danoo.

However, they are the only phones Tammy and I have. The pros outweighed the cons when we were deciding between a land line and cellular phones.

* Cells go anywhere
* You get FREE voice mail
* You get FREE caller ID
* You get FREE call-waiting
* If there is ever an emergency, you don't have to search for a phone or
be stuck without one
* You never have to miss a call (which is really just for vain 18-year old
college girls--I personally rarely answer mine--still I don't have to if I
don't want to)
* We get two phones for 50 a month
* That is only 15 more per month than our land line and we have two of
them that go anywhere
* It tells time
* It stores numbers, addresses, and e-mails; eliminating the need for an
organizer (as a writer, I have a ton of contacts)
* Long distance is included; I don't get charged any different if I call next
door or my Mom in Florida
* People think you're cool :D

dookie

Aug 30, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #10 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice Steve ;)
We ended up getting in touch with a CT senator, or congressman? Who contacted the president of Sprint and had some nice words for them, which included that big ol fee being waved! An official letter of apology came from Sprint's president - and wouldn't you know they started calling asking him back afterwards?!?! right! On top of that Sprint called Mike's house 3 times while he was in Iraq, asking to speak with Mike. When told that Mike was deployed for the war, the Sprint rep. said 'when would be a good time to get ahold of him? It's regarding outstanding fees he owes us'. Mike's dad said "I just told you my son is fighting in a war, and you want to know when's a better time to get ahold of him?!?! Go F*$% yourself!!!'
But indeed, no one in his family or mine - or his battallion - from that point on went with any kind of service from Sprint!

wildtrail

Aug 30, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #11 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock On!

bumblie

Aug 30, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #12 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So Steve, are you using a landline to access the net?

maculated

Aug 30, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #13 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My cell is my only line too. Hello, cable Internet.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 30, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #14 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*Verizon*

T-mobile was disappointing
Sprint was horrible for the PacNW area
AT&T "sucks" (as described by my climbing partner 'ffaallliinngg')

i havent bothered with t-mobile or sprint. but my opinion of verizon and AT&T are the same as hanger.

indigo_nite

Aug 30, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #15 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in SE LA county so I doubt everything applies to you... check w/ other Milwauke residents for carrier coverage...

TMobile, has good pricing on plans and free weekends/evenings (start at 9 though). I think either reception is worse than Verizon though or my phone could be bad. I took the free Samsung (dark blue plate and silver screen frame) ... sorry don't know the model # but I think the phone must be fairly bad.

Verizon is pricier but generally it's shown to have a larger # of service zones. I had a Kyocera phone (forgot #) that worked OK.

You can browse here for reviews on cell carriers and their featured phones... (scroll alittle down and look far left)
http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav

traddad

Aug 30, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #16 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for Verizon. Consumer Reports rated them the highest and personally, whenever I find myself and a gaggle of contractors pulling out our cell phones in some remote ocation, Verizon always seems to win the "how may bars" dual.

And the person who made that policy at Sprint should be publicly humiliated for the money grubbing turd that they are.

Partner sauron

Aug 31, 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #17 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adding my 2 cents...

I've never had better coverage in the continental US, than when I was with AT&T - I was in the middle of nowhere in Yosemite (Park), towards Lee Vining - and still got signal. Some old analog tower down the valley across the other valley, etc etc...

I have since then switched to T-Mobile for my GSM phone - any carrier's GSM coverage will be worse than their CDMA/analog coverage - and their unlimited data access for $20 extra, is priceless.

When I was in Florida 2 weeks ago, doing hurricane relief, I was the only person on my team who never lost cell coverage - Nextel was completely down, Sprint was very spotty, VZ was spotty. We'd been told before we flew out there, that Sprint had the best coverage at the time - apparently not after a visit by Charley.

Your Mileage May Vary.

- d.

Partner euroford

Aug 31, 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #18 of 18 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been with verizon about 6 years. nothing to complain about. it does the job. the only time i don't get a signle is when i'm out in the boonies and don't expect to be getting one.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook