Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
What does the "rate" button on a forum post mean?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

davidji

Sep 1, 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

What does the "rate" button on a forum post mean?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I click it and it says "5 votes left" and seems to allow my to choose between a pile of feces and a trophy.

So there are only two vote choices, and 5 votes total per user? What is the result of this voting?

Partner philbox

Sep 1, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #2 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Re: What does the "rate" button on a forum post me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Around ten percent of the user on rc.com get given five votes per day on a rotational basis. You can use these votes to rate posts. If you think that a post you have read anywhere except community forum is worthy of a trophy then vote it that if you think it is a steaming pile of faeces then click that. Over time a picture is built up as to the worth of any particular user and their posts.

If a particular thread is deemed to be a turd then ultimately it may drop down the dunny hole Whereas the trophy posts may actually get bumped back up automatically once a selected number of posts are given.

Partner coylec

Sep 1, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #3 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could we make more work for Tim? 'cause I have a little idea.

I know some users are going to dig the rank function ... when I get it, I use all my votes. Others aren't going to spend the time to do it (or it just won't be compatible with their viewing style). What do people think about the idea of having users who use their rank button getting it more often than those who don't (but still have them in queue so if they can start ...)

coylec

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 1, 2004, 2:26 AM
Post #4 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One day the poop/trophy showed up on my screen....and I didn't know what it was for! It was late, I was tired, and I figured I'd deal with figuring it out the next day...

But the next day, there was no poop/trophy. And though I have thought about it, vaguely, on occassion since that day, it wasn't really something that bothered me...

...until now, that is.... I missed my chance to vote! I wish I had been made aware of what the poop/trophy thing was....If only I'd been sent a PM from the site, explaining. I'd never have shirked my voting duties....

Partner philbox

Sep 1, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #5 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...until now, that is.... I missed my chance to vote! I wish I had been made aware of what the poop/trophy thing was....If only I'd been sent a PM from the site, explaining. I'd never have shirked my voting duties....

You don`t come from Florida do ya.

davidji

Sep 1, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #6 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Trying to use the rest of my votes, I just gave that post a trophy, because it made me laugh. Although I'm not certain if the other vote would have been better...

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 1, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #7 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the vote of confidence....if someone gets a lot of trophy votes, do they win something?

Partner philbox

Sep 1, 2004, 2:45 AM
Post #8 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Happy, couldn`t resist.

melekzek

Sep 1, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #9 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, like we did not had any problems with user ratings, or photo ratings, lets add another one, post ratings.... one more thing to whine about when the results do not comeout as we liked..... :lol:

Partner philbox

Sep 1, 2004, 5:56 AM
Post #10 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah but the thing about post ratings is that they are not actually publically viewable and because of the fiendishly clever way they have been set up there is very little likelyhood that they will go the way of user ratings.

Partner tim

Sep 1, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #11 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could we make more work for Tim? 'cause I have a little idea.

I know some users are going to dig the rank function ... when I get it, I use all my votes. Others aren't going to spend the time to do it (or it just won't be compatible with their viewing style). What do people think about the idea of having users who use their rank button getting it more often than those who don't (but still have them in queue so if they can start ...)

coylec

already done... in fact this was implemented a week ago, I just didn't tell people about it ;-)

The selection process is as follows:

1) the votes for each users' posts are summed up. that's their karma. the only thing karma is currently used for is receiving votes -- nothing else.
2) the 20 users with highest karma are always handed 5 votes.
3) 10% of the rest of the active users are selected to receive votes. Users with karma < -1 are ignored, as are users who haven't logged in for more than a week, or are less than a week old. However, I decided that it was silly to require people to have posted. I'm still vacillating on this, though. About a thousand people get votes each day.

What's next is personal preferences for filtering (right now it's a hard threshold at -2; I'd like to add it as a user preference along with ad blocking (for Partners) in the Edit Profile screen, so people who want their posts raw and unfiltered can have that, and people who want to browse at 0-and-above or 1-and-above can have that. Eventually I'm thinking of weighting votes according to normalized karma, but Search and the RDB fixes are more important. All things considered, though, the karma scores I'm seeing (admins and, I think, mods can view this in user profiles) almost exactly mirror what I was hoping to see; really experienced users are being recognized, and people with nothing to offer are getting dinged.
There's a JavaScript hack (onChange) that I might be able to jury-rig so that people can change filtering preferences on the fly; if it's easy, I will.

When I get a moment (eg. after FAQ autolinking and the phpBB search fixes are pushed out), I'm going to try and get my DSPAM extension to PHP hooked up, and feed it the crappiest of the crap to mark as an automatic -1. I'd really rather users know that the system is about to ding them, and perhaps a little subtlety is in order. It won't change anyone's behavior, but at least they'll know that the Computer hates them.

(edit: I typed 'posts' where I meant to type 'votes'. Fixed.)

squish

Sep 1, 2004, 6:46 AM
Post #12 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's really super rad, Tim.

Will $those_who_get_votes[] always receive 5 per day, or is there a karma-to-available-votes correlation?

Or, is this what you meant by "weighted"?

Partner tim

Sep 1, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #13 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's really super rad, Tim.

Will $those_who_get_votes[] always receive 5 per day, or is there a karma-to-available-votes correlation?

No but there should be, huh? I could make that change pretty easily.

In reply to:
Or, is this what you meant by "weighted"?

Nah, I meant a multiplier for individual votes. But maybe the above is better. One way to find out...

squish

Sep 1, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #14 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nah, I meant a multiplier for individual votes. But maybe the above is better.

I see. I like my idea better, too. It would mean that the power-voters could choose to distribute their 101 available votes as they see fit, giving some posts +17 if they feel they're that worthy and other posts only +1.

thomasribiere

Sep 1, 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #15 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have them once or twice a week!!! And hardly use them. Or almost to vote poop... :? Because if you start to think about each individual post inside a thread, very often they don't bring anything new or very interesting, so they don't deserve a trophy. What's left? Poo!

So today I won't use them. And I won't be sad if this function is disabled for me.

ANd could someone definitively make this thread sticky...?

kathy

Sep 1, 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #16 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where is the rate button?

overlord

Sep 1, 2004, 1:03 PM
Post #17 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its next to the reply button, but oyu only see it if you have votes.

overlord

Sep 1, 2004, 1:18 PM
Post #18 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, found out something new.

the voting doesnt work with opera browser. im currenlty using IE (man, its so slow and cumbersome) and i can vote ok.

also, the letter "č", "š" and "ž" work with IE, but when i try to use them in opera, i get a "?" where the letter should be.

looks like ill be editing RDB stuff with IE. damn, opera is so much better. or maybe ill try with firefox.

Partner cliffhanger9

Sep 1, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #19 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok, found out something new.

the voting doesnt work with opera browser. im currenlty using IE (man, its so slow and cumbersome) and i can vote ok.

also, the letter "č", "š" and "ž" work with IE, but when i try to use them in opera, i get a "?" where the letter should be.

looks like ill be editing RDB stuff with IE. damn, opera is so much better. or maybe ill try with firefox.

i use Firefox and everything works fine...i personally cant stand opera - firefox is FAR superior to IE (dont really know about opera) - highly recommend it

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 1, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #20 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh! I just noticed I have "voting rights" today. It's a damned good thing too, because I'm feeling pretty much like I've got no say in things when 23rd Street, from 6th Avenue to 9th, is cut down the middle to allow an entire lane of traffic (each way) for the RNC folks and all their toadies to quickly get around, and everyone else in the ENTIRE city has to stay on their side of the pylon fence or risk being arrested and thrown into the makeshift (out of an old bus garage) prison they are detaining people in......

um..sorry, I just got carried away, and Phil's post about Florida earlier led me to believe I might find a shoulder to rest my weary head on....

Carry on. I've got votes to post!

Partner okie_redneck

Sep 15, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #21 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "rate" button is back, so I thought I'd bump the original thread. Now, everyone can have a (small) say in the ratings of all of the people who like to be constantly obnoxious!

Partner tim

Sep 15, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #22 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Nah, I meant a multiplier for individual votes. But maybe the above is better.

I see. I like my idea better, too. It would mean that the power-voters could choose to distribute their 101 available votes as they see fit, giving some posts +17 if they feel they're that worthy and other posts only +1.

Just a clarification -- votes are one per person, per post, maximum. So although you can hit the 'poop' button innumerable times, it still only records one pile of poo (from you) for that post in the database. In order for the post to get a -2 rating, you and someone else both have to vote 'poo'. If someone else liked the post, you and someone else and a third person need to fling poo. You get the idea. One vote per person per post, and pretty much everything is 'win by two' before any action is taken.

But if you had particularly exceptional karma, and got a pile of votes corresponding to (say) 2-raised-to-the-power-of however many standard deviations away from the mean you happen to be, all of a sudden we start to see a very representative measure of posts' worth, by concentrating a lot of voting power into the hands of people that other users trust. Not really a bad thing, when you think about it. Probably the 'answer', too.

diesel___smoke

Sep 15, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #23 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Object to this system by voting exceptional posts as turds and volatile ones as trophies.

sarcat

Oct 13, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #24 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I just handed out my 5 poo/trophy votes. What happens to those posts? I assume a copy goes to the posts tab in their personal profile? Is the reason I have a post in my posts tab because someone gave me a poo/trophy? How do I know what they gave it? (I know asking for a way to know WHO gave is is silly so I wont.)

So many questions (or possibilites):
-If a person gets quite a few poo votes are they tarpited?
-If a person gets quite a few poo votes are all their posts classified -2?
-Would a person become a -2 user or a +2 user?

Thanks,

Partner tim

Oct 13, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #25 of 48 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I just handed out my 5 poo/trophy votes. What happens to those posts? I assume a copy goes to the posts tab in their personal profile? Is the reason I have a post in my posts tab because someone gave me a poo/trophy? How do I know what they gave it? (I know asking for a way to know WHO gave is is silly so I wont.)

good call on both.

In reply to:
So many questions (or possibilites):
-If a person gets quite a few poo votes are they tarpited?

no

In reply to:
-If a person gets quite a few poo votes are all their posts classified -2?

no

In reply to:
-Would a person become a -2 user or a +2 user?

no

Post ratings rate posts. Not people. If someone who's historically posted utter drivel changes their tune and writes the Great American Trip Report, the system is designed to recognize that.

At some point I will integrate it with the mechanism for grabbing the 'Recent Messages' on the front page, so that interesting or highly-rated threads can compete with flamewars for column inches. ;-)

I have also considered keeping threads from users with uniformly negative ratings from appearing on the front page (until/unless someone else with a more normal reputation responds.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook