First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 2:21 PM
Post #1 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

New vs. Old Morality
Report this Post
Can't Post

The following is an excerpt from an article I read the other day. It examines the cultural shift, that (to me) seems to explain the divide between conservatives and liberals, in America today.

By distinguishing these two different sets of values, it seems sheds some light on why a basically good and decent population can be so polarized on so many issues.

I identify, for the most part, with the old morality. And I think that many of the "liberal" types on this board probably identify with much of the new morality.

Are the following descriptions pretty accurate? Or am I just blowing smoke?

In reply to:
John O’Sullivan, an exceptional commentator on the culture, wrote that one morality was being replaced by another, though most of us were only dimly aware of it as it occurred.... O’Sullivan describes the combat between new vs. traditional (get ready for two laundry lists here): “Traditional morality was religious, duty based, rooted in individual responsibility, governed by objective rules, self-controlled, ascetic, guilt-forgiving, repentant, hierarchical, patriotic and stern. The new morality was secular, rights based, rooted in social causes, governed by subjective interpretation, self-asserting, hedonistic, guilt-denying, therapeutic, egalitarian, universalist and indulgent.”

unabonger

Sep 1, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Re: New vs. Old Morality [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
John O’Sullivan, an exceptional commentator on the culture, wrote that one morality was being replaced by another, though most of us were only dimly aware of it as it occurred.... O’Sullivan describes the combat between new vs. traditional (get ready for two laundry lists here): “Traditional morality was religious, duty based, rooted in individual responsibility, governed by objective rules, self-controlled, ascetic, guilt-forgiving, repentant, hierarchical, patriotic and stern. The new morality was secular, rights based, rooted in social causes, governed by subjective interpretation, self-asserting, hedonistic, guilt-denying, therapeutic, egalitarian, universalist and indulgent.”

Sudo-intellectual claptrap.

Inventing a vaguely described continuum and then dividing it into 2 parts is inherently flawed, and while it might reinforce the GOP core's ideas about itself, it is insulting and gives short shrift to liberal arguments. The truth is more complicated.

Here's more food for thought from the same commentator:
http://www.suntimes.com/.../cst-edt-osul31.html

He describes Bush as a liberal, pointing out his various policies, most of which are failed versions of old liberal dogma...

UB

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #3 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumblie,

I agree with this totally. I am of the "new" for the most part myself. I hold certain values that would be deemed conservative or right winged, but the majority is liberal.

I just don't see how the old morality, again for the most part, can be applied to NEW times. Even more so, will be less applicable in the future.

Things are changing and the old morality seems to be fitting in less and less; a square peg into a round hole. Perhaps that is why liberals and conservatives can be at each other's throats at times? Because one group feels the views and morals of the 20th century still apply while the other group feels that this is old-fashioned thinking and does not apply (how I see it)?

Either way, though we do it over and over (beating a dead horse), all we really do is divided and waste a lot of breath arguing. It will probably never change, and it is good to have some diversity and adversity.

If we all agreed...

robmcc

Sep 1, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #4 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If we all agreed...

Absolutely. Resist the lure of the dark side, Luke!

Rob

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #5 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks wild. :wink:

Part of the reason that conservatives are so opposed to this new morality is that it brings so many undesirable things to the surface. What used to be considered decadent is now mainstream.

And part of the reason conservatives hold onto traditional values is because it's believed that these "old-fashioned" values were key in to the growth and prosperity of this country.

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #6 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks wild. :wink:

Part of the reason that conservatives are so opposed to this new morality is that it brings so many undesirable things to the surface. What used to be considered decadent is now mainstream.

And part of the reason conservatives hold onto traditional values is because it's believed that these "old-fashioned" values were key in to the growth and prosperity of this country.

I can understand that. However, you being more on the right, don't you agree that things are changing? That the "old" may not suit the times?

What kind of "undesirable" things? Are you speaking of things like same-sex marriage? Personally, my belief, is that those that are against same-sex marriage really aren't at all. It's the thought of same-sex, sex that appalls them. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but that is no reason (to me) that these people shouldn't have the same rights as you or I. I'm married, and if a married gay couple lived next door, it would have no effect on my life. It would change nothing. So, I see the same for society. All they want is equal rights, and as far as I last heard, that is what this country is all about. Equal opportunity and rights for all.

Or, is this not what you are talking about?

mattdog

Sep 1, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #7 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sudo-intellectual claptrap.

Inventing a vaguely described continuum and then dividing it into 2 parts is inherently flawed, and while it might reinforce the GOP core's ideas about itself, it is insulting and gives short shrift to liberal arguments. The truth is more complicated.

Here's more food for thought from the same commentator:
http://www.suntimes.com/.../cst-edt-osul31.html

He describes Bush as a liberal, pointing out his various policies, most of which are failed versions of old liberal dogma...

UB

For once, I agree with Unabonger, and I'm more conservative than I am liberal. This is just conservative mumbo-jumbo trying to explain how their morality is better than others.

There will ALWAYS be conservatives, who like things the way they are and who are represented by the mainstream majority. And there will always be liberals who don't like things the way they are, and represent the faction groups. bumblie, if you went back to the 50s, you'd be a liberal. If you were in the 20s, you'd be a conservative again.

I hate this kind of nonsense where people take political issues and slap a moral overtone to them to try and polarize society into one division or the other. Liberals call conservatives racist zealouts, and coservatives call liberals immoral heathens.

Its pathetic and disgusting. Or country is great because our people are great, not because one political party had anything to do with it.

Sorry bumblie, can't fall in line with this rhetoric.

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #8 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I was thinking about the increasingly casual attitude towards sex, in general. The mindset that it's the responsibility of those who do work to support those who don't. The prevalence of political correctness over speaking the ugly truth. The rise in open animousity to those in power. Did you hear about the cop who was hospitalized by protesters in NYC?

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree. I don't think it is conservatives trying to say their morals are better than liberals at all. Frankly, if O'Sullivan is a conservative, I'd say he was pretty objective.

Remember, the descriptions aren't "exact". They are basically blanketed and a conservative will agree wtih some of what is said and vice a versa, the liberal.

I agree with most of what it says liberal morality is like. However, because it isn't exact, I hold some qualities of what it says about the conservative.

Social studies isn't an exact science. They study singles and groups and find the overall genre of those people. Thus, you can make statements like, "Liberals are for same-sex marriage and conservatives are not." For the most part, you would be correct; though there are liberals against it and conservatives for it.

I don't think anyone is being pigeon-holed at all.

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #10 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hate this kind of nonsense where people take political issues and slap a moral overtone to them to try and polarize society into one division or the other. Liberals call conservatives racist zealouts, and coservatives call liberals immoral heathens.

Its pathetic and disgusting. Or country is great because our people are great, not because one political party had anything to do with it.

Sorry bumblie, can't fall in line with this rhetoric.

The polarity is already there. Have you been paying attention to national politics, lately? Talked to many people who are indifferent about Michael Moore?

I took the two "laundry lists" as being different, not as one being right and the other being wrong.

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, I was thinking about the increasingly casual attitude towards sex, in general. The mindset that it's the responsibility of those who do work to support those who don't. The prevalence of political correctness over speaking the ugly truth. The rise in open animousity to those in power. Did you hear about the cop who was hospitalized by protesters in NYC?

Understood. :wink:

Just wanted to clear it up, to be on the same page.

Personally, PC is BS. I call it beating around the bush. This is where I am more conservative. I don't believe in PC and if I say something that offends a person I truly don't care. This meaning if I use the term "black man" instead of African-American or crippled or handicapped instead of "physically challenged". Those that get offended over such trivial things really need to refocus energies in my book.

If we tippy-toe around issues, what can we possibly produce?

mattdog

Sep 1, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #12 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If we tippy-toe around issues, what can we possibly produce?

No, but we can always try to REproduce.

I guess that's where I'm more liberal. I have an extremely casual attitude towards sex.

Casual meaning: I CAUSE it to happen. :roll:

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #13 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*shakes head*

You're just silly.

mattdog

Sep 1, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #14 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*shakes head*

You're just silly.

What can I say. My tolerance for political conversation reaches its limits pretty quickly, and I'm forced by my superego to do a thread hijack.

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #15 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I feel the same way. When I get tired of having one or tired of seeing one I post something stupid like, "Bush is a fukkin' idiot!"

Inevitably, this causes an outrage and I get slammed in forum for three days (which I don't care about, but it's wrong for me to interupt).

I've got to stop doing it though. I usually target bumblie, bluto, danooguy, and a few others and it isn't right for me to do that. I'm working on stopping right now, regardless of how I feel about Bush (hate the man--obviously). I have no right screwing up their debate and they have every right to not like Kerry.

I'm trying to get better. :)

Bipolar disorder and AD/HD makes it a fun challenge!!! :D

oldandintheway

Sep 1, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #16 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So by being bipolar do you get two votes? Or is that just in Florida? 8^)

wildtrail

Sep 1, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #17 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, but I get four if I am in Florida.

Partner j_ung

Sep 1, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #18 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bumblie, I feel like I identify with several qualities in both of Sullivan's moralities. Where does that leave me?

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #19 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you're one of them there, fence sittin' moderates. Then again, since you don't embrace either morality, maybe it's just cuz' you're immoral.

danooguy

Sep 1, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #20 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got to stop doing it though. I usually target bumblie, bluto, danooguy, and a few others and it isn't right for me to do that. I'm working on stopping right now, regardless of how I feel about Bush (hate the man--obviously). I have no right screwing up their debate and they have every right to not like Kerry.

You have every right to attack my ideas, and if you attack me personally and do it with style that will amuse me also. But having read you're stuff, I can safely say that you need to work on your political and personal insults in order to have even a slim chance of approaching the summits of insultdom held by the bonger or drkodos.

For what its worth, I do not hate or even dislike Senator Kerry. It is more a matter of waiting for him to reveal himself and his plans in specific detail.

As to the topic. Morality is morality. Everone ascribes to one form of it or another. I doubt that anyone on this board would fail to help someone in need, or stop a crime, etc. Certain things are done or avoided by normal people out of a sense of morality.

Division arises as to the perimeters of that sense of duty . For some there is no perimeter for how much should be done for others as opposed to requiring them to do for some things for themselves. Schwartzenegger's speech outlined some of those difference quite well.

itakealot

Sep 1, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #21 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is all a ruse. Old Morality has become the New Morality and we are all too jaded to see that this has happend.

iltripp

Sep 1, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #22 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

These are pretty vague generalizations that don't hold much water. I would agree with the sex idea, but only so far as a young liberal hippie is more likely to have a casual attitude toward sex than an old, southern baptist housewife.

However, the rest is pretty much B.S. The "mindset that it's the responsibility of those who do work to support those who don't" is just conservative rhetoric that generalizes a subject in which both sides are infinitely more complex. Do you really think that awarding contracts to Halliburton without competition is promoting "individual responsibility". Or, you can look at Bush's own business record to see how responsible he was while running his company (which was basically given to him) into the ground.

As for the "rise in open animosity to those in power", I can only point my finger to the Clinton years. How often were he and hillary accused of murdering someone to cover things up? He was challenged during wartime (kosovo) openly by conservatives, but it was so "unpatriotic" for liberals to do the same.

As for the original question, I agree that there is a different morality between liberals and conservatives, although I think this is primarily a religious/secular division. I take issue with a few of Sullivan's comments because I think his list was slightly loaded to make the "liberal" morality seem a worse than the conservative. Examples are the self controlled, objective, patriotic conservatives vs the subjective, guilt-denying, indulgent liverals.

I would stretch the idea of differing moralities to say that the paradigms of these two groups are completely different. Looking at debate on this board or anywhere else almost makes it look like the two groups are living in two different worlds...

bumblie

Sep 1, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #23 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
These are pretty vague generalizations that don't hold much water. I would agree with the sex idea, but only so far as a young liberal hippie is more likely to have a casual attitude toward sex than an old, southern baptist housewife.

Actually, I was thinking about single women today versus 40 years ago. Do you think they could've made those Girls Gone Wild videos twenty years ago?... ten years ago? Look at prime time tv - open talk about casual sex is the norm, and many people feel the same.

In reply to:
However, the rest is pretty much B.S. The "mindset that it's the responsibility of those who do work to support those who don't" is just conservative rhetoric that generalizes a subject in which both sides are infinitely more complex. Do you really think that awarding contracts to Halliburton without competition is promoting "individual responsibility". Or, you can look at Bush's own business record to see how responsible he was while running his company (which was basically given to him) into the ground.

Nice try. Bush doesn't exactly fit the standard of conservative values. Most conservatives consider him to be the lesser of two evils. What are your thoughts on universal healthcare? Look at your stereotypical dirtbagger. Should the government (meaning the taxpayers) pay for his healthcare because he'd rather climb all the time instead of holding down a full-time job? This ties nicely into the issue of self-reliance. Don't you think?

In reply to:
As for the "rise in open animosity to those in power", I can only point my finger to the Clinton years. How often were he and hillary accused of murdering someone to cover things up? He was challenged during wartime (kosovo) openly by conservatives, but it was so "unpatriotic" for liberals to do the same.

You're talking about "free speech". That whole "unpatriotic" vitriol sounded like anti-war groups getting offended at Bush supporters using their first amendment rights. Dissent is a two way street.

By open animousity, I'm talking about celebrations turning into acts of vandalism and arson, disruptions and violence as a form of protest i.e. WTO meetings and the growing number of anarchist groups committed to much more than peaceful protest.

iltripp

Sep 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #24 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, I was thinking about single women today versus 40 years ago. Do you think they could've made those Girls Gone Wild videos twenty years ago?... ten years ago? Look at prime time tv - open talk about casual sex is the norm, and many people feel the same.

As I said, the sex thing is where I agree with you. I'm not so sure this is a result of liberal/conservative values though. I think that our society has moved toward a state where sex is much more common and accepted. A lot of this has to do with broader sociological forces than just liberal/conservative morality. I would also say that quite a few of the more liberal people are the type who would call all TV mind-numbing crap and forsake the boob tube all together, so in a way, they are rejecting the sexual objectification that is taking place in television and in our society. I'm not sure I'm explaining that well, but take it how you will...

In reply to:
Nice try. Bush doesn't exactly fit the standard of conservative values. Most conservatives consider him to be the lesser of two evils. What are your thoughts on universal healthcare? Look at your stereotypical dirtbagger. Should the government (meaning the taxpayers) pay for his healthcare because he'd rather climb all the time instead of holding down a full-time job? This ties nicely into the issue of self-reliance. Don't you think?

Hmm... I agree that Bush doesn't fit the exact standard of conservative values, but he is very religious and would agree with conservative opinions on things such as healthcare and welfare. What I meant to bring to light with the comment about Bush was the way that so many rich republicans can preach "self-reliance" and "personal responsibility", when they are only where they are today because of their family connections and wealth. This translates to my idea of healthcare. No, I don't think the ditybagger should have the government (taxpayers) pay for his healthcare. However, I think it should pay for his children's. I don't think any child's state of health should be jeopardized because of the financial decisions of their parents. That is not personal responsibility. What about a single mom with 3 kids who can't afford healthcare? Should her children have less access to healthcare than the children of someone less succesful?

I hate to quote the former terminator, but he made a good point when he said: You know, I used to go around saying: "Everybody should pull himself up by his own bootstraps - just like I did!" What I learned about this country is this: Not everybody has boots.

In reply to:
You're talking about "free speech". That whole "unpatriotic" vitriol sounded like anti-war groups getting offended at Bush supporters using their first amendment rights. Dissent is a two way street.

No, I am not talking about "free speech"; I fully encourage dissent on both sides. I am talking about the ridiculous double standard that liberals are unpatriotic, criticize their president in a time of war and opitimize the "rise in animosity to those in power". The fact is that during the Clinton presidency conservatives, with their "patriotic" morals, did all the things they criticize liberals for during the Bush presidency.

I'm sorry that the last two points have gotten political and turned into typical republican vs. democratic banter. I had aimed to keep this about the discussion of the two moralities and what I found inaccurate in Sullivan's statement, but somehow the points turned political.

In reply to:
By open animousity, I'm talking about celebrations turning into acts of vandalism and arson, disruptions and violence as a form of protest i.e. WTO meetings and the growing number of anarchist groups committed to much more than peaceful protest.

I agree that this is a disturbing trend, although I really don't think it is caused by "liberal morality". Instead, I think there are other explanations. Violence like Woodstock 2000 can be explained by the amount of internalized violence in our society which was brought to the surface by the extraneous circumstances of the festival (heat, cramped and dirty conditions, over-priced water, etc). Other things, like political protests are a sign of the political and social polarization that is occuring in America during this presidency. A lot of people disagree with the current administration to the point that they are willing to take to the streets. It's only a matter of time before that many people with that much emotion cause some kind of disruption. However, I don't think the protests have been quite as bad as you have made them out to be.

feedmerocks

Sep 2, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #25 of 36 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure these little moral checklists are accurate. The "old morality" list seems to represent the Republican party line and the "new" seems to represent many of the stereotypes that Republicans find so loathsome about Democrats.

The "old" list is attempting to lump certain values together as if they are integral to the conservative viewpoint. But there doesn't seem to be any reason that--just to pick one example--patriotism goes hand in hand with morality. In fact, it's a pretty cheap rhetorical trick to pretend that it does. After all, patriotism is about supporting the interests of a country, or even, in some cases, a government above the interests of everyone else. And there's nothing moral about looking out for numero uno.

In particular, there's no reason, obvious to me, why patriotism (in its virulent and aggressively imperial forms) goes hand in hand with traditional religious values. At best, I would say that certain elements of the Religious Right have formed a tenuous alliance with the Republican Party, resulting in the set of so-called "traditional" values that are being so transparently promulgated by the supporters of that party: the value-set that's being bandied about, here, is a composite of the interests of the party and the interests of the religious. Most religious leaders have come out against aggressive war... remember the Pope's prayer for peace?

In addition to the "left" and "right" dimension, there is also an "up" and "down." Who's on top, and who's on the bottom, being ground under the boot-heel... and why?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook