Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
hiking (approach) shoes that don't blister?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

crackrn

Sep 1, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

hiking (approach) shoes that don't blister?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bought some hiking shoes 5 months back, broke them in fairly well but still get blisters every time I wear them. They didn't rub or seem to rub when I bought them so now I'm leery about buying new ones but these have become intolerable. I've got relatively wide feet (anyone see a duck?)...does anyone have some good recs ? Thanks!

Partner eyecannon

Sep 1, 2004, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Re: hiking (approach) shoes that don't blister? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Mad Rock Half Domes, but also check out 5.10's approach shoe offerings and Mad Rock has the Fanatic and is coming out with some new ones in the upcoming months.

EDIT: btw, I have really wide feet as well.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 1, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, lets look at how you are using the shoes you have...

Do you wear cotton socks? Cotton socks, when they get sweaty, are just nasty, they do not wick water away from your feet, and your feet are more likely to blister. Waaaay more likely to blister.

I would recommend some synthetic socks (if you don't have them already) Smartwool (not really wool) will make all the difference.

Next, consider a sock liner. For big hikes (ive done one, never again) or long aid climbs I wear these. They are very thin and move with your foot inside your regular sock, taking the brunt of the friction. These are not always necessary, but could help.

If its new shoes you need, and your blisters happen on your toes or the ball of your foot, it may be because the toe box is not cinched tight enough...though this is unlikely because you say you have wide feet. Nonetheless, go for a shoe with more eyelets as opposed to less. A true "approach shoe" will have them further down on the toe box as well.

Finally, if the above steps don't work, just get a burly girlfriend and have her carry you. The blisters on your feet will be the least of your concerns. ;)

-Kate.

crackrn

Sep 2, 2004, 3:18 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eyecannon...thanks. I'll try these out if I can find a place to try them on...our outdoor store doesn't carry them for some reason.

Kate...yeah, I run also so I've been using my running socks which are non cotton, dual layer, supposed to avoid blisters but they have been minimal help.
My shoe does have probs with being able to cinch tighter so that may be one of the probs... I'll look into that when I get new ones.

and finally....

In reply to:
Finally, if the above steps don't work, just get a burly girlfriend and have her carry you. The blisters on your feet will be the least of your concerns. ;)

LMAO!!!!! My boyfriend *might* have a prob with this (I'm just guessing... :lol: ).

itakealot

Sep 2, 2004, 4:52 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All good advice, but the root of all blisters is usually a poor fitting shoe, and you said it yourself you have wide feet.
Next time you buy shoes spend atleast an hour or more in the pair of shoes you want to buy.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 2, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D'oh!

Um...I knew you were a girl, really I did...

Just let the BF watch...then he'll be the one with the blisters. ;)

-Kate.

overlord

Sep 2, 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the ones that actually fit :wink:

woodthrush

Sep 2, 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got Vasque approach shoes that are so comfortable and are a really solid shoe! I found that my 5.10's got beat up quickly for some reason - I'm not doing any unusual amount of hiking / climbing in them! But check out Vasques anyway, see if they fit well for you.

marcel

Sep 2, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just got Vasque approach shoes that are so comfortable and are a really solid shoe!

I too have a pair of Vasque with the 5-10 Stelth Rubber, but my vote will go hands down to 5-10. I use the Guide Tennies and the El Caps. I have had several pairs of both over the years and they have held up well and work great. The only advatage of the Vasque is they are waterproff.

bumblie

Sep 2, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try running shoes. Unless you're carrying more than standard trad gear, your pack shouldn't be heavy enough to require hiking boots. Also, consider your approach - decent trail vs. lots of scrambling.

Partner euroford

Sep 2, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have had my Merrill chameleon XCR shoes for about 6 months, have put them through a serious beating and i love them. my only complaint is that the sticky vibram soles appear to be wearing kinda quickly. in about three months i'll have to get a new pair or have them resoled. (if possable)

musicman

Sep 2, 2004, 2:52 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just wear teva's when i go climbing, great sandals. I've done a few hikes in them, nothing more than 6 miles. once they get broken in (yes, even tevas) which doesn't take long they're really comfortable to be in all day. When i think of approach i don't think of anything that is too long so teva's are the answer. i don't know what an 'approach' is for you so choose wisely.

dingus

Sep 2, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use tennis shoes where most people use hiking boots or approach shoes. I use hiking boots where some use mountaineering boots. I use mountaineering boots onl when crampons are required and I prefer to carry them to that point, rather than wearing them for a 5 mile approach.

Where you are traveling and over what you are walking is the primary concern. But light is right for footwear as far as I'm concerned. I recommend the lightest shoe you can get away with. Now for rugged cross country travel across blocky, rocky ground, perhaps with a heavy pack,
the bottoms of tennis shoes can leave your feet feeling tender.

But, the energy you save with lighter shoes is your own. And the money you save by not buying 120 tennis shoes with a plastic shank in them, is yours too. ANd you won't likely get blisters and I think you are less likely to sprain your ankle with normal shoes than boots anyway.

I just wear plain old tennis shoes, what ever fits. Same shoes I wear to the gym. Wide feet = New Balance for me.

Now if snow travel is involved or I need sticky rubber for some reason, boots and / or approach shoes are called for (which of course I have as well).

Blisters... they don't fit. Simple as that my man. Now you're faced with molding your foot to the boot (painful!), somehow molding the boot to your feet, or just dumping them and trying again.

Some cobblers can widen shoes if that is the problem. Getting boots that fit is not a trivial exercise. You should dig out and read Ivon Chouinard's advice on how to get properly fitting boots, written back in the 70's (Climbing Ice). The world has changed since then, but some people's concepts of hiking boots have not. I was in the Berkeley REI last week and saw a clerk trying to sell some 4 pound wonders to some lady who just wanted to do a weekend backpack trip. The clerk was spouting all these old school ideas about heavy boots for heavy packs. Poor lady, I did not intervene. You can't save ALL the world afterall!

If you dump them, may I suggest you give them for free to climbing partner for whom they fit! Somewhere down the line, that partner will likely give you something she no longer needs. Its almost like getting a birthday present. A pair of my hiking_boots_that_didn't_fit are on the feet of my favoriatre Canadian, Jason, stomping through the backcountry of Vancouver Island. So I know my old shoes are in good hands... hehe.

Cheers
DMT

dingus

Sep 2, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Next, consider a sock liner. For big hikes (ive done one, never again) or long aid climbs I wear these.

When wearing boots, mountaineering or ski boots, I use ONLY sock liners. The thinner the sock the better. TLike rice paper almost. The cushioning theory of thick socks is bogus anyway. You get cushioning from the midsole, not the sock. SuperFeet inserts with silk or synthetic liner socks, unless its the dead of winter ice climbing trips, in which case, my toes freeze with light socks. But even for skiing, back country or resort, I use only the thinnest sock liner I can afford (12 a pair for any sock is a suckers game in my opinion). All those expensive socks at REI are making someone rich! I hope...

Try it! You'll never go thick again!

DMT

punk

Sep 2, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Idea with semi stiff and stiff soles shoes and Blister prevention is hill fit
The less movement you have in the hill the less blister you will get so with confidence you can say it is imperative proper hill fit be very finicky about it and don’t buy anything on the account of “oahh they will brake in” to this Ill say your foot to the shoe…
Second most important fit feature is the toes box you will need an adequate room in order to have reasonable comfort descending what you climb to verify it stand on 30 degrees angle pointing down slop and start by taking small steps down if your toes touching the front of the boots lace them tighter with the swave lacing methods mention here if this still doesn’t work then try different boots which lead us to the third important point and it is the ball of your fit look at the offering out there and you will see some boots manufactures offering multiple cushioning and shock absorbing soles try those first if you feel hot spot on the ball of you feet then ask for larger size with cushioning insole if it doesn’t work try different boots
To all of this if it slightly imperfect ask the most professional Sales person to try adjusting the fit…some of them are really good (even in REI) and generally know what they doing if you very accurate in describing the problem
My shoe shopping take around 3 hours per pair (that is after I eliminate the other design and focusing on the one that fit the best) I do not leave the store with pair of boots unless I am confident that the shoe fit perfectly and I did walk with is and tried it with heavy backpack and up and down the stairs
My word of advice is if you go shoe shopping don’t take anyone with you …really do you hate your friends that much …make a conscious decision you will have to ware them with no other alternative ones you out on the trail

Reference you can find here

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook