Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Waivers of liability - Are they worth the paper?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

steelfoot

Sep 2, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Waivers of liability - Are they worth the paper?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

An adventure club has recently been started in my area. Not one person in the club is certified at doing anything. As far as climbing, I have the most time climbing at 15 years. This is probably more experence than the rest of the group (at this point) combined. They would like for the more experienced people to take a leadership role in the club. It was brought up that a waiver of liability needs to be drawn up and signed by all who are members.

If I decide to take a leadership role, eg. trip leader, would a waiver be worth the paper it's written on? At this point the group doesn't have insurance and probably won't be able to get it without someone, in a leadership position, certified through a recognized association like AMGA.

Any lawyers out there with an opinion?

verticallaw

Sep 2, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Re: Waivers of liability - Are they worth the paper? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, a waiver would be a good idea. Probably best to have a lawyer draft one for you as they can be quite complex. I'm not sure where your from but in Canada there are several bit's of case law surrounding this issue. Most of them seem to stem to the issue of waiving liability "howsoeverarising" this is an important term as it covers any aspect of injury and acident. You may also want to speak to the lawyer about liability resulting in lack of certification, for example if a non guide/instructer takes a group out and there is an incident relating to the guide/instructers abilities to forsee and negate the incedent than you may have some liability resulting in this. Many of the preprinted forms that you find can be disputed easily and are designed for independant use (ie: at a climbing gym unless you are taking a class you will sign a waiver stating that you are liable for yourself, where as in a class situation your instructer is in charge of your safety to a point... where this point is is the issue in the waiver) best to check with a lawyer in your area before you get to into things.

P.s. I am not a lawyer nor am I giving legal advice. I am simply pointing out what my belifes are from what I have read.

Cheers
Mike

csoles

Sep 2, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A well written waiver is absolutely defendable in court. But a boilerplate form will get probably get tossed. Take the waiver to a laywer who specializes in outdoor liability, not the local law firm or friend of the club.

Of course, no waiver covers negligence but that's a different issue.

crotch

Sep 2, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A well written waiver is absolutely defendable in court. But a boilerplate form will get probably get tossed.

What separates the well written from a boilerplate? Just curious..

curt

Sep 2, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having one is probably better than not, but as Clyde points out, it is not possible to contract away negligence--at least in this country. And, if something goes wrong and you do get sued, it will likely be for negligence. So, I would also recommend that you follow Clyde's advice and seek an attorney who specializes in this area of law.

Curt

gds

Sep 2, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That-to me-is the main issue. Liability for negligence sticks with you. So. be confidant you know what you are doing when in a leadership role.

csoles

Sep 2, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boilerplates use vague, broad terms and leave out critical phrases. They may sound good to non-lawyers but won't hold up in court. But a good waiver is indeed very powerful.

Partner jammer

Sep 2, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An adventure club has recently been started in my area. Not one person in the club is certified at doing anything. As far as climbing, I have the most time climbing at 15 years. This is probably more experence than the rest of the group (at this point) combined. They would like for the more experienced people to take a leadership role in the club. It was brought up that a waiver of liability needs to be drawn up and signed by all who are members.

If I decide to take a leadership role, eg. trip leader, would a waiver be worth the paper it's written on? At this point the group doesn't have insurance and probably won't be able to get it without someone, in a leadership position, certified through a recognized association like AMGA.

Any lawyers out there with an opinion?

I don't know, man. If you, up front, say that nobody is certified in anything, then you are asking for trouble, even if you do have a piece of paper. Just my 2 cents worth ...

fredbob

Sep 2, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A well written waiver is absolutely defendable in court. But a boilerplate form will get probably get tossed.

Most waivers used for climbing purposes are pretty standard and are generally upheld in court. Of course, each state has its own case law regarding waivers, though I am unaware of any state that has found them to be invalid for outdoor pursuits, such as climbing.

Not sure what "boilerplate" you are refering to.

In reply to:

In reply to:
it is not possible to contract away negligence--at least in this country.

Of, course, they absolutely DO cover [and it is possible to contract away] negligence (though the waiver should specificly mention that negligent acts are covered). That is the whole point of having a waiver.

As a rule, however, intentional acts will not be covered by a waiver. Similarly, there is some concern that waivers may not cover products liability claims, though there may be some ways of drafting around this.

As was mentioned previously, go to a lawyer who knows this field, in your state (KY?). [I am not giving legal advice]

Lastly, a waiver may allow you to prevail in a lawsuit, and may even dicourage litigation, but if you are sued, it won't help you pay your legal fees. That is what insurance is for, and probably well worth it. Absent obtaining insurance, ask a lawyer in your state whether the waiver can include a clause that awards you attorneys fees and costs in the event you are sued (and successfully defend).

And beware of well intentioned, but wrong, advice obtained on forums (not just legal). I would guess the batting average for climbing advice is no better than the spurious legal advice you've received.

steelfoot

Sep 2, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. I've been researching some waivers of other adventure/climbing clubs and will most likely rewrite one and let a lawyer who specializes in this area look it over and add what needs to be added. Thanks again.

boz84

Sep 2, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A well written waiver is absolutely defendable in court. But a boilerplate form will get probably get tossed. Take the waiver to a laywer who specializes in outdoor liability, not the local law firm or friend of the club.

How difficult is it to prove negligence? I only ask because I have as friend with a certain "issue" with a gym currently, and was curious as to what may be deemed negligent.

Not to get into specifics, someone fell, and despite multiple pads, and experienced spotters, the route was set up, that a fall woudl take you dangerously close to not only a window, but a concrete slab. Which he hit.

You would think that 3 gym pads and 2 very experienced spotters would be more than enough to protect a fall, should the gym be designed and maintained in a safe manner, no?

csoles

Sep 2, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have saide "gross negligence." See? Lawyers are very touchy about wording ;-) Note that many waivers have never been tested. So just because another org uses it, doesn't mean it'll be valid. For example, the waiver they use for events at Outdoor Retailer, the industry's national trade show, would probably not hold up because it's poorly written.

This requires a subscription but is a good source of info: http://snewsnet.com/...aw_review/index.html

fredbob

Sep 2, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How difficult is it to prove negligence? I only ask because I have as friend with a certain "issue" with a gym currently, and was curious as to what may be deemed negligent.

Please read my post above. And since you are in CA, it is a certainty that a properly drafted waiver will preclude any negligence claim. Though well intentioned, the statements by csoles and curt are plain wrong.

picaco

Sep 2, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Not to get into specifics, someone fell, and despite multiple pads, and experienced spotters, the route was set up, that a fall woudl take you dangerously close to not only a window, but a concrete slab. Which he hit.

You would think that 3 gym pads and 2 very experienced spotters would be more than enough to protect a fall, should the gym be designed and maintained in a safe manner, no?

I've worked in a gym, and we'd set up problems that were close to walls, stairs, etc..., if someone wanted to climb it, fine, but they're in charge of their own skin. I'm a firm believer in taking care of yourself, it makes me extremely frustrated when I hear about all the sue happy people out there.

As for the original topic of this thread. Get a waiver, at least something, and if your leading a trip, make sure you know what you're doing, especially for a possible emergency. If you need to brush up, I recommend taking a class from NOLS.

curt

Sep 2, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Please read my post above. And since you are in CA, it is a certainty that a properly drafted waiver will preclude any negligence claim. Though well intentioned, the statements by csoles and curt are plain wrong.

I think you are painting with too broad a brush there, Randy when you are saying Clyde and I are "plain wrong."

In reply to:
Liability Waiver in Motorcycle Safety Class Stricken as Unenforceable

Description: Appeals court held that public policy interests prevents the enforcement of a waiver of liability for acts of negligence by instructors that all students in a motorcycle safety class were required to sign.

Topic: Torts

Key Words: Liability Waivers, Public Policy

C A S E   S U M M A R Y

Facts: Fortson enrolled in a two-day motorcycle safety program, taught by defendant, which was held at a community college. To attend, Fortson had to sign a waiver form releasing all parties from liability for any injuries, including those attributed to negligence by those offering the course. Fortson was injured when the throttle on the motorcycle to which she had been assigned stuck. She contended that defendant knew the throttle was defective and sued him for negligence. Trial court dismissed the suit, holding that the waiver was a bar to recovery. Fortson appealed.

Decision: Reversed. Releases that exculpate persons from liability for negligence are not favored by the law, but they may be enforced unless they violate a statute, are gained by unequal bargaining power, or are contrary to public policy. "The public interest in minimizing the risks associated with motorcycle use have been recognized in case law and regulated by statute." "Having entered into the business of instructing the public in motorcycle safety, the defendant cannot, by contract, dispense with the duty to instruct with reasonable safety." The waiver is not enforceable.

Citation: Fortson v. McClellan,, --S.E.2d-- (1998 WL 865149, Ct. App., N.C.)
or
508 S.E.2d 549 (Ct. App., N.C., 1998)

The above is from this site:http://www.swlearning.com/...iability_waiver.html

Here is another example:

In reply to:
Groups Liable Despite Waiver
Ski Case May Affect Other Sports Entities

The Denver Post
June 25, 2002
Section: A , Page: A-01
By Kirk Mitchell, Denver Post Staff Writer

Liability waivers signed by parents do not protect ski resorts from lawsuits when children are injured because of negligence, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled Monday in a case that could reach far beyond the ski industry.

The ruling will have broad impact on recreational businesses and clubs that require parents to sign indemnity waivers, said James Chalat, an attorney who specializes in recreation industry law. Now, a business or club could still be liable when a child is hurt because of negligence even if a parent signs a liability waiver. "It is very far-reaching, but so were the releases that were being spread around the state by the recreation and insurance industry," Chalat said. "You can't take the kids to a birthday party at the recreation center without filing a release."

But Peter Rietz, an attorney for the U.S. Ski Association, said the decision will have limited impact because indemnification releases for minors have historically not been enforceable in Colorado courts. "This does not really change things," he said.
Monday's decision involves David Cooper, who crashed into a tree while skiing in 1995 and was blinded at age 17. His mother had signed a liability waiver, but the Supreme Court ruled that Colorado public policy offers "significant protections" for minors, which means a parent or guardian can't sign away a child's ability to sue for negligence.

Rietz predicted that most sports clubs and recreation businesses will continue to require parents to sign waivers to warn them of potential risks of skiing or playing football.
"I think that is healthy," he said. Chalat, however, said that the way the releases are written, a ski resort would not be liable if a chairlift was mishandled and dropped children to the ground and seriously injured them.

The Supreme Court decision will affect businesses that offer river rafting, skiing and mountain climbing experiences, he said. "That's a big component of the Colorado tourism industry," Chalat said. It will also affect all sports clubs including youth league soccer, baseball, hockey and football teams, Chalat said. All sports entities that require parents to sign a liability waiver for their children are affected, he said. But he added that youth sports negligence cases are extremely rare. A plaintiff would have to prove that a volunteer caused a child's injury by inappropriately directing team members to play rough, for example.

Public schools and coaches have immunity against negligence claims, but in limited cases, the Supreme Court decision could affect them as well, Chalat said. Randy McCall, athletic director of the Cherry Creek School District, said he had not seen the court decision and could not comment. Cooper had been a member of the Aspen Valley Ski Club for nine years when his accident left him blind and caused other injuries. He filed a lawsuit against the Aspen Skiing Co., the Aspen Valley Ski Club and the U.S. Ski Association.

The trial court ruled that Cooper was barred from filing a claim because his parents had signed a liability waiver. The waiver said that the club was not liable for any injury even when it was caused by carelessness or negligence. The lower-court decision was upheld on appeal. The Supreme Court ruled, however, that in some instances the care of a child outweighs contractual obligations. The high court's decision was based on its understanding of the state legislature's commitment to safeguarding children.

The court could be convinced otherwise if legislators chose a different stance, the court ruled. The state Supreme Court ruling orders that Cooper's case be returned to state district court for a trial. A jury could still decide that the defendants were not negligent and therefore not liable for Cooper's injuries, Chalat said.

The decision should help rather than harm Colorado's tourist industry, he said. Visitors will know that businesses will be held responsible for their actions and therefore will be more careful, he said. "It will make Colorado a much safer place to ski," Chalat said. Denver Post staff writer Monte Whaley contributed to this report.

I can post many other examples, if you like. Of course, California law may be different in this regard.

Curt

mreardon

Sep 2, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's see:

1. csoles: batting one thousand in being wrong on every legal issue he's brought up on this site.

2. Curt: knows just enough to be dangerous, but that's because he married someone smarter and prettier than me. However, he does get extra points for knowing good scotch from bad, and publicly posting pictures of himself wearing lycra on a trad cilmb.

3. fredbob: a lawyer who regularly defends our rights to climb.

Who's right, hmm....

gds

Sep 2, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I've always had my lawyers advise me that it is very hard to have a waiver protect you from acts of gross negligence-especially when you hold yourself out as an expert and get paid for doing same.
Of course, lawyers will have differing positions as that is the basis of the advocacy system.
Anyway I've always been told that courts are where you go for a decision-not for justice!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook