Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
free standing woodie without head-banging-support problems??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

jimmyv

Sep 6, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1789 views)
Shortcut

free standing woodie without head-banging-support problems??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

have been looking through the posts and there is an amazing resource for building, so thanks.

i am mobile most of the time, so i am hoping to make a woodie that i can pack up (after some unscrewing) and put in the van.....

i'm planning on making an 8 by 8 adjustable overhang that is freestanding. the basic design seems pretty simple, however does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of the chance if whacking your body against the support struts on the side triangles?

i thought about putting a flat piece of wood inbetween the two supports and therfore being able to push the supports away from the fall zone and forming ashape that i think is called a trapezium?

but........i have no idea how to fix the wood in these kind of angles, if it is worth it and how to keep it adjustable? any ideas? many thanks in advance, james

brianmccully

Sep 6, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Re: free standing woodie without head-banging-support proble [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Use sandbags( cattylitter) as counterwiegts to reduce the need for a larger angle for support. This is how a portable wall works. The trailer that it is attached to and raised/lowered from is a counterwieght that keeps it from tipping over once it is on the ground.

lnmego

Sep 7, 2004, 1:44 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Re: free standing woodie without head-banging-support proble [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a trapezoid. Sanbags are way to heavy and you would never get enough weight to deal with an overhang. I'd think about using the car as a couterweight somehow.

However, if it's only 8 feet tall and vert, then you should be OK with 12 foot braces behind the structure to something under your car.

If it's 8 feet and overhanging, then do the trapezoid thing, but place the supports vertially (from the side view) side view so that you won't land on them. Then place the supports that connect those to the toe plate (though you likely won't have one) on the outside of those (so that you don't hit those edges.

The bottom flat piece of wood idea might work, but see I think you'd be OK if you didn't even do the trapezoid thing.

BTW, if you want fixed width stuff to work you have to put

Code

t ags around the text.

-LNMEgo

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook