RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

stevematthys

May 15, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

new climbing movie
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i saw in the latest version of Climbing Magazine that there is a movie coming out to TV called "The Climb". It comes out the week of June 1st. You guys think it will be any good? i think it will probably suck just like vertical limit did. personally i think the best hollywood climbing movie was k2.

jackflash

May 15, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

new climbing movie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since "The Climb" is made by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, it's main focus will probably not be as much about climbing as one might hope.

jdcox_9

May 15, 2002, 3:08 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But hey, what a great combo

Billy Graham and Climbing

I wonder if Dave Graham is related to Billy Graham.

Partner tim

May 15, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only Billy Graham that matters is Superstar Billy Graham, of WWF fame. I'd pay good money to see his steroided ass climbing one of them Vee-somethings.

pelliott

May 15, 2002, 3:45 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw "The Climb" at our church. It was a good movie, but it is better for non-climbers. As usual the climbing scenes are unrealistic. It has a good underlying Christian message though.

liudolf

May 15, 2002, 3:45 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, those Xtian movies aren't always as overbearing as one might expect. I went to see Extreme Days (Daze? Dayz? whatever) and other than the occasional evangelical moment, it was pretty secular. Not much climbing in it, but a good xtreme sport flick, for the most part.

I'll see the Climb, just for the chance it MIGHT be good.

Why not? It's not like there're a bunch of climbing movies coming out to choose from! Besides, what I do I care, I'm a Christian anyway. They're not gonna tell me anything I don't know.

Jeremy

davyk46

May 15, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it will be very good. Anything with climbing in it is good so whoever don't like it don't watch tv. Billy Graham is an awsome man and it will probably be about the religous part to climbing. A climber pretty much worships the rock and you have to to climb good.

stevematthys

May 15, 2002, 9:00 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pelliott, the movie we are talking about has not come out yet. it comes out to TV the week of june 2nd

spremegoat

May 15, 2002, 10:18 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what are you talking about? Evangelism has no place in climbing. Climbing is a wholly secular activity and although many people take a spiritual angle towards climbing, this is usually done from an eastern-perspective (ie chris sharma). I don't care if a bunch of christians want to use climbing as a religious metphor in thier church, but if i were ever approached at a crag by an evangelical climber i would be highly offended. Not to make this a theological discussion, but i feel that evangelism is a highly insensitive and supremacist attitude that is detrimental to society and i sincerely hope it stays far away from climbing, i like climbing way too much.
i hope i didn't offend anybody with my views, its just i strongly believe that your actions are far more important than your theological beliefs

spremegoat

May 15, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, maybe highly offended was too strong a term, I just don't want to have somebody tell me about a climbing movie that i'll get all excited about and go see and have it end up being a piece evangelical tripe. I am very interested in philosophy and will be perfectly willing to have a philo/theosophical discussion with anyone, but i guess i feel like a movie called'the climb" and being billed as a rock-climbing movie is innapropriately advertised and rather than an opportunity for discussion is merely an attempt to force one's unsolicited views on others.

dustinap
Deleted

May 15, 2002, 11:44 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the above poster was trying to be a cool 17 year old and direct a flame towards people who do not share the same beliefs he does. Many posters here have beliefs in God, and many don't. No one said anything with you being agnostic, or possibly athetiest[sp?] so why go along starting this stuff with other people?

kevinwaldock

May 15, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Preach" on spremgoat!!!!

dustinap
Deleted

May 15, 2002, 11:58 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note I would like to add.

You don't want to be bothered by all the religous persons in the world, or go to a moving with hidden reasons, which could involve religion.

What about all the religious people out there who do not swear, or do other acts that could be considered sinful. Yet, people swear[for] all the time around them without taking this into consideration. Or people who go to movies, that are feeled with unethical, or morally incorrect situtions. It is YOUR choice to go to a move, if you do not want to go, do not go.

k2exp2010

May 16, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vertical Limit sucked. But, I watched it several times and bought the DVD. I try not to pay attention to the plot. It melts my brain. The beginning scene on the rock is alright. Scenes of K2 are cool. Ed Vesteirs can not act to save his life -- "Welcome ... to ... base ... um ... camp". But, I do respect him.

I've never been to K2 base-camp, but i doubt it's a winter paradise up there.

Oh, back to the topic, I'm not sure about "The Climb". What was the question again?

[ This Message was edited by: k2exp2010 on 2002-05-15 18:35 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook