Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
What is the right way to rig yates aider/adjustable daisy??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

shyhigh

Sep 6, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

What is the right way to rig yates aider/adjustable daisy??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have yates ladders and adjustable daisy, I have rigged them different ways. What do you guys suggest. Right now I am rigging them with a locker into the ladder, the daisy into the same locker, with a oval into the daisy as well. This seems to but a tri load on the daisy. With the top of the locker and the bottom of the oval going through the same whole in the daisy. I hope you can picture this any suggestions????

Later, Skyhigh

ammon

Sep 6, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is the right way to rig yates aider/adjustable dais [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there is really a right or wrong way to rig your aiders to your daisy.

I use a Petzl Spirit (there are other biners on the market, as well) because it doesn't have that little notch in the hook of the biner. It becomes really annoying when the notch catches on fixed heads, bolts, etc.

I've never used a locker because I just back my self up at the belays or when jummaring. I just use one biner, not two. There are some disadvantages to this method the most obvious is that sometimes you will get a bind in the gate when opening the biner.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ammon

Partner coylec

Sep 7, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the recommendation for the Petzl Spirits -- they rock. They even have different colors so you can be color-coordinated!

Top to bottom, I've got the Petzl Spirit as the lead biner. It's running through the top of the aiders. Also running through the top of the aiders is a locker. That locker is connected to my daisy. The locker isn't really required, it's just nice so I don't accidently stop my stuff.

coylec

punk

Sep 8, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://home.comcast.net/~nericarmi/Aiders.jpg

iamthewallress

Sep 8, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like the way that you are rigging it, the locker will make your top step of your laldders be ~4 inches (the length of the biner) lower?

I just user a crappy old oval to attach the rig while I'm leading. I've never had the snagging problem...but I'm probably going slowly that it wouldn't matter if I did. I use lockers when I switch to my jugs. I keep the jugs on the lockers while I'm leading.

ATTENTION GEAR MAKERS....it would be really useful if the holes on the tops of the ladders and daisies were roomy enough that you could rotate two biners around in them at once. My problem wiht my current set up is that the holes do not allow for a biner swap out like this or to rotate the locker so that I can pop off the aider or the daisy at will regardless of which side it's stacked on.

iamthewallress

Sep 8, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the keeper cord idea for the floating ladder. Do you get tangled up in it?

crotch

Sep 8, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My lead biner is an oval, and I've also got my daisy locker clipped to the top loop of the aider. One concern I have is that a daisy fall would "cross-load" the aider clip-in loop and perhaps tear the stitching.

ricardol

Sep 8, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm .. sounds like ammon's setup removes the locker from the rig..

-- ammon ever had a case where the aiders have fallen out of the lead biner? -- (if i understand correctly, your daisy + aiders all go into 1 lead biner)..

.. to the person who posted a picture of the rig .. looks like you loose a few inches in height .. why not attach the lead biner to the top of the aiders.

.. my setup goes ..

lead biner (oval keygate) through aiders, also an oval locker through aiders, daisy attached to ovall locker.

-- ricardo

punk

Sep 8, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my setup I didn’t have a problem of losing height …yet
I can still top step easier then if I was clip a biner to both the reason being the extra biner doesn’t let the daisy shift also it is easier to clip the third aider in whole it work better for me when I top step (could be different for you) I also use Adjustable fifi to keep close to the lower piece
I am 5.11 by no means tall but with this setup, I never had a problem of reach
Regarding the lanyard it is like anything else you got to get use to it I keep it in the front attach to my gear sling and pay attention for the way I place it I can also Just leave it dangling and lift it when I need it

Partner holdplease2

Sep 8, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a system like Ammon's including the notchless biner, but my notchless is a locker...

* Sometimes I end up with my fifi on the side of the biner with the gate, for whatever reason, and with a twist of the lock, I know it won't push the gate open.

* Sometimes the lead biner is bent over an edge our around a corner. Having the gate grinding open against stuff is unnerving. In these instances I twist the gate shut.

* Because I use a locker for my lead biner, I can use the same locker when I jug...this saves energy and prevents me having to search around to find my lead biners after jugging...they are always there.

I don't use a tether for my floating aider, but I do have a tether cord with a biner on my chest harness which I use to clip into a biner of nuts when I am placing them or placing gear from an awkward position or bad gear where I could fall and drop my stuff. And yes, it tangles sometimes.

-Kate.

ricardol

Sep 8, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am 5.11 by no means tall but with this setup, I never had a problem of reach

.. hmm .. in my book 5'11" is tall .. (i'm 5'7") ..
-- ricardo

ammon

Sep 8, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, Ricardo. I use only one biner attached to both my aider and daisy.

Yes, I've lost an aider before..... but, that was before I was such a fan of docking. I dropped my aider a lot and that was what resulted in my aider coming unclipped. That was also the reason I started docking my aider so often.

Cheers

dsafanda

Sep 9, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just user a crappy old oval to attach the rig while I'm leading. I've never had the snagging problem...but I'm probably going slowly that it wouldn't matter if I did. I use lockers when I switch to my jugs. I keep the jugs on the lockers while I'm leading.

I do the exact same thing as Melissa except that I do find the notched biners to be annoying for leading. Petzl makes a keylock(notchless) oval which is really nice because it gives you a bit more room for bulky Yates webbing than the Petzl Spirits do. They can be sort of hard to find but I know the Mountain shop carries them from time to time.

Partner coylec

Sep 9, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My lead biner is an oval, and I've also got my daisy locker clipped to the top loop of the aider. One concern I have is that a daisy fall would "cross-load" the aider clip-in loop and perhaps tear the stitching.

There would be a load applied against the stitching. I think that'd be a good thing. If you have a static fall with sufficient force to tear the stitching, I'd think you're going to prefer the stitching breaking stead of yourself. It's like a poor version of the yates adj. daisies with the built-in screamer.

In fact, from a materials standpoint, it think it would be the same as falling on a traditional daisy that was clipped short ... you'd just be pushing against those stitches ... I think if you were concerned, you could research back regarding incidents with falls on traditional daisies clipped short. If you find anything useful, post it up (or at least PM me). The simliarity would only be true between similar webbing material (i.e. 1 in webbing daisies won't be comparable to the (what appears to be) spectra webbing on punk's aiders. In that situation, the force is applied to a much smaller cross-section of stitching (hence, greater force on each stitch).

Purely speculation, but I doubt that you'd break through the stitching on 1 in. webbing (at least on the fish aiders i'm using ... there are 6 bartacks there). I have no thoughts regarding spectra, though I'm sure that others have more experiences with it and can add their own comments.

If it really concerns you, i think that punk's setup would alleviate those concerns. In the event of a daisy fall, you'd have a straight chain from lead to adj. daisy ... the ladder shouldn't have any force on it. The drawback being, of course, the reduction in height from the locker. Ammon solves this problem by removing the locker altogether.

coylec

shyhigh

Sep 13, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks the picture it was help full to see. Thanks !! Go skyhigh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook