USC Climbing Club @ Pt. Dume, Sunday Sept 12
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

uscclub

Sep 10, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #1 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

USC Climbing Club @ Pt. Dume, Sunday Sept 12  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Point_Dume)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you at all value your climbing peace--and if you do you wouldn't be at pt. dume anyway---be aware that USC climbing club will be hosting our kickoff event @ doom this Sunday (9/12/2004). This event consists of fun in the sun, food, dropping multiple top ropes most likely on every route, low angle climbing, fundraising for the new wall and masses of first-timers. Non-trojans are welcome to hop on our ropes but it will likely be crowded. You've been warned.

pylonhead

Sep 10, 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #2 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Re: USC Climbing Club @ Pt. Dume, Sunday Sept 12 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe.. thanks for the warning! :D

Have a great time.. I love climbing at Dume. Soooo beautiful.

Partner baja_java

Sep 10, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #3 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you at all value your climbing peace--and if you do you wouldn't be at pt. dume anyway---

no idea what this means. people have always been able to enjoy this serene setting early in the morning or late in the day when it's not crowded, and even when it is crowded because they're there to share the unique relaxing fun of climbing right on the beach, and not there to hog the entire cliff to themselves

In reply to:
be aware that USC climbing club will be hosting our kickoff event @ doom this Sunday (9/12/2004). This event consists of fun in the sun, food, dropping multiple top ropes most likely on every route, low angle climbing, fundraising for the new wall and masses of first-timers. Non-trojans are welcome to hop on our ropes but it will likely be crowded. You've been warned.

this is basically a declaration to hog a crag, not caring who you might be inconsiderate to, not caring whose day you might ruin. and to say the rest of us have been warned, what is that? you doing us a favor by insisting it'd be our own fault for intruding on your crag hogging?

if you already know you have a big group, then why insist on a locale with so few routes? very scenic place, yes, especially to entertain these masses of yours, especially those who are just climbing for the novel fun or those who might not be all that much into the climbing. but you have to know, by gang roping all the routes, you're depriving others there that day who have reasonable expectation of hopping on some routes. in the grand scheme of things, doubt one bummer of a day would ruin anyone's outlook on humanity and such, but at the same time, you shouldn't have any doubt about what you are for this one day

point dume is absolutely gorgeous, the kind of malibu beauty that can put everyone in a good mood. on a day with clear blue sky and warm sun and hot sand, people just seem extra eager to connect, to help out, to share, to do whatever to make each other's day. you people just don't get this place

sean
on behalf of those who would endure the traffic that day to only find the entire place infested with selfish bastards

maxter

Sep 10, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #4 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pt. Dume is infested with gold and silver ore viens. Note the the soft, rotten out crops running through the cliffs. You got it, gold veins. With lots of mercury and selenium.

haveaniceday

Sep 10, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #5 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree mostly with u Baja.

It's pretty lame how the "club" brings so many people and monopolizes crags.

Partner tim

Sep 10, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bah. If you want awesome and serene, go to the Needles. Point Dume will always have at least a few people crawling around on the routes.

I do think it was considerate of the guy to warn others that there would be a large-ish event there this weekend. Then again, I am a Trojan, so...

Partner baja_java

Sep 10, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #7 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

warning... bah... that's like the Chinese warning Tibet there'd soon be a large gathering up at their place

they're gang roping the Needles next, i hear. got the word from a Trojan i climbed with this past weekend, funny enough. they got 600' ropes for that now. better put away Airy soon

cloudbreak

Sep 10, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure I'm there before the sun to set up TR's on all the routes before you get there.

Just wanted to let you know......

Partner tim

Sep 10, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
warning... bah... that's like the Chinese warning Tibet there'd soon be a large gathering up at their place

South Central is a rough place to locate a campus, but I don't think the climbing club is actually planning to riddle Pt. Dume with automatic weapons fire and kill any monks they might trip over. Methinks your hyperbole is just a little over the top.

In reply to:
they're gang roping the Needles next, i hear. got the word from a Trojan i climbed with this past weekend, funny enough. they got 600' ropes for that now. better put away Airy soon

guess I'll have to move to Kings Canyon then ;-) where the approaches are long enough to keep out the riffraff...

Actually, I've seen people TR'ing Ankles Away, and Leo Houlding was TR'ing some horrendous face climb between Atlantis and Pinhead last time I was up there... obviously not Real Climbers eh. :P

Anyways, if you want serenity, you're not going to find it within 90 minutes of LA. I look forward to someone arguing this point vigorously. Meanwhile, I'm headed up to Russell so I don't get sand in my buttcrack.

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #10 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the only one who saw this:

In reply to:
Non-trojans are welcome to hop on our ropes...

-Jay

Partner baja_java

Sep 10, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #11 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...but it will likely be crowded.

slim chance to none, in other words

annnnyway, back to the Trojans, no hyperbole is too over the top when it comes to these guys. remember Troy? so Helen found a better lay, big deal. you all got to come to grips with that. and to use that as an excuse to plunder a city, now that was just wrong. so there, i rest my case

although the way the Trojans carried away all the Troy women, after sacking the city, that was pretty hot

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #12 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If they are fair about it, then everyone who wants a run -- whether they're in the club or not -- will have an equal opportunity. That's the only fair way to handle it at a crowded crag.

If they do that then they are not monopolizing the routes.

-Jay

ben87

Sep 10, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #13 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

annnnyway, back to the Trojans, no hyperbole is too over the top when it comes to these guys. remember Troy? so Helen found a better lay, big deal. you all got to come to grips with that. and to use that as an excuse to plunder a city, now that was just wrong. so there, i rest my case

although the way the Trojans carried away all the Troy women, after sacking the city, that was pretty hot

Baja-- I think you're getting a little confused about your history here. Not that is has anything at all to do with the actual point at hand, but it makes you a bit less of a reliable witness....

(The Trojans didn't sack Troy, the Greeks did. Think about it for a second.)

Partner baja_java

Sep 10, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #14 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooo yes, Greeks carrying off Trojan women, sorry, but hot just the same

hmm... the Trojans have suffered much, so they've been lashing out ever since. see, they're still up to no good!

as for Zuma, taking care to ensure others not of their group gets to have a timely turn, yeah, that'd be great. probably not likely, such a hassle to ask around if those others want their turns, but sure, i believe in miracles :D

plus, there's the decision to drop a large group in the first place. it's a beautiful day up there 50 weekends of the year. it's not like you can't go there in smaller groups and enjoy. have climbed up there with climbers' weddings even, who by the way were considerate enough to have only couple ropes up. fundraiser for a wall, that could be done without imposing on others, no?

ok, got a date with some domes in some meadow. zipping out of town ahead of the masses

Partner eyecannon

Sep 10, 2004, 8:09 PM
Post #15 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dume is awesome scenery-wise, but pretty much sucks for climbing. All the moves are repetitive and the holds are quite polished.

But will there be hotties in thongs?!

callmeraymon

Sep 10, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #16 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

be warned, I'm going to set up a rope on all the climbs in Joshua Tree.

rockitjeff

Sep 10, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #17 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here is how you and your over-crowding hordes can make it up to us all..

take photos, many photos of hotties and
....make sure the hotties know the attire is either short shorts or very loose shorts (for freedom of movement, of course). when i used to guide, i stessed the loose shorts option (and every so often, a client would make panties optional

please post said photos liberally here on rc.cum

and so the politically correct/ humorless girlz don't get their teets in a wringer, please post photos of hottie guys, too.

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #18 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....make sure the hotties know the attire is either short shorts or very loose shorts (for freedom of movement, of course). when i used to guide, i stessed the loose shorts option (and every so often, a client would make panties optional

And that was before leg loops, too.

-Jay

deleted
Deleted

Sep 10, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #19 of 28 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the record, I thought baja_java's hyperbole was pretty funny.

Also, for the record, I appreciate the warning & thought it was considerate. He didn't have to say a thing. Now we know to pick one of the many other climbing spots we are blessed with in SoCal on Sunday. BFD

rockitjeff

Sep 10, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #20 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....and the technique for proper , uh.. instruction.... i'd have the assistant guides (read- student who knows how to belay) take over the rope handling duty, and I'd solo a few steps behind said instructee so as to able to actually point out "put a foot here... OK, now step there....

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #21 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For the record, I thought baja_java's hyperbole was pretty funny.

Also, for the record, I appreciate the warning & thought it was considerate. He didn't have to say a thing. Now we know to pick one of the many other climbing spots we are blessed with in SoCal on Sunday. BFD

More like WAF. The outdoorsclub is going to Wmson this weekend. I don't have any contacts in the SCMA or the Korean Climbing Club, but they're bound to turn up somewhere.

-Jay

uscclub

Sep 10, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #22 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, for the record, we only do this once a year for the welcome event. There is a reason we picked dume instead of say, Wmson or Apes. Normally, and after dues are paid, we will cap the attendance and split up groups to prevent the gumby circus.
And yeah, if anyone wants to, they can take a turn on what we have up, it's only fair, and anyway chances are you'll be up and down before we finish explaining what knots are for and how to tie them.
Thanks! :wink:

deleted
Deleted

Sep 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #23 of 28 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, humor me Jay- what is WAF?

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #24 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
chances are you'll be up and down before we finish explaining what knots are for and how to tie them...

...and why, if they're a girl, they only need a swami belt.

-Jay

jt512

Sep 10, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #25 of 28 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, humor me Jay- what is WAF?

We're All Fucked!

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?