Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cagdbikeclimb

Aug 27, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 56 (10558 views)
Shortcut

climbing barefoot in the gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had a moment of clarity at the climbing gym this evening. Last weekend I stubbed my little toe and I have every reason to believe I broke a bone somewhere in there (major amounts of pain and about a third of the top of my foot was swollen; the swelling has diminished somewhat). I met a friend at the climbing gym this evening and I went there with the intent of being her belay slave. It was killing me watching her, and everyone else, climb so I told her I was going to have to try to climb a route. It's still too painful to put on a normal shoe (much less cram my foot into a climbing shoe) so I climbed a couple of routes barefoot. After my partner lowered me, she said my footwork was great and much better than normal for me. I was stepping very gingerly in an effort to keep my little toe away from the holds and the wall but it seems to have improved my precision in using footholds. My epiphany came when I thought that perhaps I should incorporate a little bit of barefoot climbing into my regular gym routine to help with the footwork. Any thoughts?

Partner holdplease2

Aug 27, 2004, 5:43 AM
Post #2 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing barefoot in the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, actually. And I really don't mean to be rude...

But to me, the idea of having to put my hands on the holds where someone elses bare feet were kind of bugs me. Moreso in a gym setting than outside. I mean, I wouldn't wear your shoes, so why would I want to have your feet on the hand-holds?

Lots of gyms have rules that require you to wear shoes all the time...perhaps switching into flip flops. This is because some people have foot fungus such as plantars warts which can spread easily.

Again, I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is something to think about.

Perhaps getting a loose pair of climbing shoes or even climbing in normal shoes could do the same thing for you?

-Kate.

robmcc

Aug 27, 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #3 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seconded. Do it outside, not in a gym.

Rob

nicebooty

Aug 27, 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #4 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear shoes inside. I don't want your athletes foot growing in my fingers.

declinebass

Aug 27, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #5 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im gonna be up on that band wagon...its really gross not to wear climbing shoes in the gym....i can tolorate it outside. just dont do it int he gym...

boulderman

Aug 27, 2004, 1:34 PM
Post #6 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll beat anyone's a$$ I see climbing barefoot in the gym! I don't give a rat's a$$ about your athletes foot, germs, etc. Hands aren't the cleanest things in the world either, just think of all the taped up chalky hands that go into the bathroom, take a crap, then come back out taped up and chalky. So, climbing holds are basically a germ infested Petri dish. I just don't want your slimy feet greasing up the holds. The big a$$ slopers that feel so good for all you little kids to stand on in the bouldering cave are already hard enough to hold without you sweating on them. So take you and your bare feet outside to the nearest 5.6.

interpol

Aug 27, 2004, 1:42 PM
Post #7 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless there's a sink at the base of everyclimb and you physically see them wash their hands before each climb, why would assume that one's hands are cleaner and germ free? bloody flappers, nose pickin', sneeze catchin', ass scratchin', etc...i admit my feet are funky after climbing in them shoes all day but not usually before.

robmcc

Aug 27, 2004, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
unless there's a sink at the base of everyclimb and you physically see them wash their hands before each climb, why would assume that one's hands are cleaner and germ free?

Ever get athlete's hand?

Neither have I.

Rob

granite_grrl

Aug 27, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #9 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just don't want your slimy feet greasing up the holds. The big a$$ slopers that feel so good for all you little kids to stand on in the bouldering cave are already hard enough to hold without you sweating on them. So take you and your bare feet outside to the nearest 5.6.

I'm not too sure about inside holds, but all the nastiest greasiest holds that I have delt with outside have been foot holds. Sweat and chalf will grease up a hold but nothing like shoe rubber.

But I don't like the idea of athlete's foot or other fun foot fungus.

cagdbikeclimb

Aug 27, 2004, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the comments. Your points are well taken. It sounds like it would make most people uncomfortable to see someone climbing barefoot at their gym. Fair enough: I can wait until I can put on a shoe without major amounts of pain. Someone else pointed out the hygiene factor might be similar between hands, bare feet, and the bottoms of shoes so I won't elaborate on that point.

In reply to:
Perhaps getting a loose pair of climbing shoes or even climbing in normal shoes could do the same thing for you?

Good idea. My Chacos would probably do the trick.

olderic

Aug 27, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #11 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone had the slightest bit of actual medical knowledge they would know how farfetched the idea of catching some nasty foot disease in this scenerio was. But after all this is rc.com and facts never get in the way.

Oh - and the primary reason for gyms (not just climbing ones) require you to wear shoes is not to protect all you prima donnas from cooties - its mandated by their insurance polices.

You may now return to pontificating about the validity of TR "ascents"....

robmcc

Aug 27, 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #12 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If anyone had the slightest bit of actual medical knowledge they would know how farfetched the idea of catching some nasty foot disease in this scenerio was. But after all this is rc.com and facts never get in the way.

Nasty might well be farfetched, but in my experience the odds of catching some mild but annoying one is pretty good.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is largely not a medical issue, but the concern is still valid.

Rob

kaymanism

Aug 27, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #13 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="robmcc"]
In reply to:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is largely not a medical issue, but the concern is still valid.

Rob

LOL. Exactly. It DOESNT take a rocket science to figure this out. It takes a medical doctor. I know there are a few on here and I forwarded it to them hoping you can get their "EXPERT" opinion.

However being a combat medic I can tell you that the fungus that grow on feet are NOT the same that grow on your hands. You can touch the same piece of crap on the ground as you just stepped on and you will contract different things on each appendage. What you contract on your hand is usually a bacteria and ALMOST ALWAYS through a cut or bite on the hand. What you contract on your feet is ALMOST ALWAYS a fungus that is able to grow there because of the low light and high humidity that can be found there. Believe it or not in all the combat medic training I recieved trench foot was second only to suturing a wound in the amount of time we spent.

With that being said. Feet are the last thing I worry about while in the gym. Have you touched that rubber, rock, gravel, carpet? I will put my life on the line that you will garner more bacteria/fungus from what you are sitting on, placing you gear on, eating on, drinking from than ANYTHING you will ever catch from climbing after a barefooter on a climbing hold.

boulderman did reason it out best. There is more grease and crap on your foot that will grease up the holds than any sweaty palms could.

Personally I could give a crap. Climb barefoot or not. What you do to yourself personally is all that really matters here. This topic really should be about how often you wash your hands after you use the toilet. But then and again it has been proven (first in the military then carry over into the civilian world, heck even myth busters had a show on it) that the spray from the toilet will distribute more fecal matter around the house than not washing your hands.

So olderic put it pretty matter of factly. These are facts and GOD FORBID we should let those get in the way of your opinions, You might actually have to change them.

Partner cracklover

Aug 27, 2004, 3:21 PM
Post #14 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pure prejudice. Feet are thought of as unclean in our (and many other) cultures. It's a taboo, that's all. Far be it from me to try to break other folks from their sacred taboos, but... You ever think about what people are walking around in outside in their climbing shoes and then tracking onto those holds you're putting your "pristine" hands (that you probably just sneezed on) onto? I'm sure people's feet are much cleaner than the bottoms of their shoes!

:roll:

And to the OP: yup, bare foot climbing may very well improve your technique, but I'll tell you what the epiphany was for me - ANYTHING will improve your footwork. What I mean by that is that the key to improving footwork is to *pay attention* to your footwork. Look down. Think about where your feet are going. Place them carefully. Think about where they should be relative to your center of gravity, relative to where you need counter-pressure to another hold, relative to where you're trying to go. Just pay attention and you'll get so much better. It really *is* that simple.

GO

antigrav

Aug 27, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #15 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe... This reminds me of some research I saw quoted some weeks ago. It seems the cleanest thing in most bathrooms, is actually the toilet seat.
:shock:

mrhungus

Aug 27, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #16 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wimps I tell you! If you crank hard enough you will squish all the bad germs with your fingers you silly's. :)

climber4life

Sep 15, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #17 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the subject the thread was made for.....
After about an hour or so of climbing/ bouldering, you're feet start to get sweaty. barefoot climbing you can also curl you're toes around the crimps a little for extra support.

aarong

Sep 15, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #18 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes I like to stinkpalm holds - you know, just for the hell of it.

climber4life

Sep 15, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #19 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stinkpalm???

ricardol

Sep 15, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #20 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sometimes I like to stinkpalm holds - you know, just for the hell of it.

is that like the gag that was played in MallRats?

- ricardo

leaverbiner

Sep 15, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #21 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an alternative - try taking an old pair of shoes and cutting out an opening for your damaged toe. worst case, use flip flops and modify them slightly to make sure they stay on your feet.

I have done one footed climbing as well . . . makes you learn to do moves in ways you wouldn't have tried before - improving your repitoir of movement.

crimpandgo

Sep 15, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #22 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foot oogies transferring to hands? Not proven.. but highly suspect :x Go talk to the folks doin pedicures at the local salon. I assure you they will give you an earful :)

actionfigure

Sep 15, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #23 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gross dude!Keep your toe jam off the holds. It's bad enough when people go and take a crap and then go back to climbing without washing. :(

icarus_burned

Sep 19, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #24 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on a side note, what about while belaying? climbing is one of the rare times i ever wear shoes (but thats a different story) but when im belaying my partner i always tae em off, as do most people at the gym i go to, whats the thought on this?

kafish

Sep 19, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #25 of 56 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually it is very easy to catch athletes foot on parts of the body other than the foot, when located elsewhere it is known as ring work and looks different but it is the same bacteria. In wrestling we bleached the mats before and after every practice to prevent the spread of the bacteria but we still caught it often enough to get people missing comps, have you ever seen people bleach climbing holds? I think it is a valid arguement.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook