RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

talons05

May 17, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1697 views)
Shortcut

When the state takes over...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am from Arkansas, yes, that's right, we DO wear shoes, and we DO climb. In fact, there are more climbs in Arkansas than in its neighboring states combined... However, this state is now facing some very serious access issues. Almost every established climbing area is (used to be) a National Parks Service protected area. Recently Mt. Magazine, the highest point in the state, and it's most popular climbing destination, became a state park. Now, camping is no longer free, and there is much talk of charging day use fees. Also, the notion has been brought up to disallow climbing all together... This news is disturbing enough, but I have also just found that another major area, Sam's Throne, is being looked at as another state park... Soon I fear that the state will have her claws all over our precious crags, and we will be, to put it bluntly, S.O.L. Sorry for the long post, but I thought this was something worthy of attention.

A.W.

jmlangford

May 17, 2002, 6:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1697 views)
Shortcut

When the state takes over... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sorry to hear about this! You can bet that the radical environmentalists are behind it. Preserve everything in its present state and humans are lower on the feeeding chain than whale crap. I hate to be negative but the freedom we used to have in this country is fading fast! Humans don't have any rights when it comes to these things. Some people just can't stand seeing people (climbers) have any fun. Just be glad you don't live in California where I live. This is like a prison camp out here with all the rules and regulations, etc.

Click here for a recent thread on this subject. It is a problem they're dealing with in Canada.

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-05-17 11:25 ]

jds100

May 17, 2002, 6:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you get time, I hope you'll check around the internet or with local gear shops to see if they can add any information on what's going on and why. I'm wonderin' what the reason is that the Feds are turning over the property to the state.

I think there are local climbing advocacy groups, though I can't think of 'em at the moment. And, I would also check with The Access Fund to see what they know, and see if they have a local coordinator that can get some grass-roots organizing goin'.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

jmlangford

May 17, 2002, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks jds...for balancing out my rant with good, common sense advice!

traddaddy

May 17, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain.
Almost all the state parks in Indiana are closed to climbing.
And in kentucky, when the Forest Service sold a piece of land to the state parks service containing a crag called Pocket Wall, it also was closed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook