Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Pine Creek or Mystery Canyons?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

musicman

Sep 20, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Pine Creek or Mystery Canyons?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Zion_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so, i'm goin to Zion's this weekend and the guy i'm goin with (he's planning it all) hasn't decided which one to do, Pine Creek or Mystery, he's done them both lots of times. I was just wondering which one you liked more, it doesn't matter how much water, organic mud, whatever, just which one did you like the most?

rockprodigy

Sep 20, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pine Creek or Mystery Canyons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since it will be virtually impossible to get a permit for pine creek at this late date, that should pretty much make the decision for you.

veep23

Sep 20, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never have done Pine but Mystery is a lot of fun. Absolutely worth doing. The double rope rap into the pool with a floating disconnect is a cool challenge and the final 2x rope rap down the waterfall into the Virgin with throngs of day hikers watching is a nice cap.

brianinslc

Sep 20, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, since it will be virtually impossible to get a permit for pine creek at this late date, that should pretty much make the decision for you.

??? Pine Creek. 50 permits per day. 30 can be reserved, 20 by walk up.

Mystery, only 12 available, six can be reserved, six by walk up.

Get there early in the am, get a permit for Mystery and Pine Creek. Do 'em both in a day. Even hikin' from the valley floor, you should be able to "send" Mystery in under 8 or 10 hours. Then do Pine Creek in 2 hours, with a 1 hour break to spot the car and eat/drink. Permit by 8am, hiking by 9, back to the car by 5, Pine Creek at 6, headlight back to the road by 8pm.

As far as which one to do, if only one.... I'd say, depends on how long a day you want. Mystery is a much longer gig mostly due to the distance involved. So, if you want a canyon to soak up most the day, then Mystery. Its also harder to get a permit for. Pine Creek, IMHO, is a "prettier" or more unique and interesting slot than Mystery, but, its much shorter with almost no approach. Much easier to get a permit for.

Combo platter with Keyhole if you are just going to shoot for Pine Creek. Or, sack up and do Middle Echo, Keyhole and Pine Creek in a day.

Online permit system has been busted for awhile...but...easy to call backcountry desk and ask what the availability of permits is for both canyons...(ie, if any are left that can be reserved in advance).

-Brian in SLC

musicman

Sep 20, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info, i didn't realize pine creek was so short, i have seen pictures and it looks beautiful, doing both sounds pretty fun, maybe those two and key hole, thats like the three classics, the combo platter as you put it, well, i'm pretty excited so i'll just have to find out what happens.

brianinslc

Sep 20, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks for the info, i didn't realize pine creek was so short, i have seen pictures and it looks beautiful, doing both sounds pretty fun, maybe those two and key hole, thats like the three classics, the combo platter as you put it, well, i'm pretty excited so i'll just have to find out what happens.

Well...some folks take a ton of time to do it...I've got it pretty wired and am comfy with a 1.5 hour (my best is 1:01) trip. I'd probably plan on longer and just enjoy it. Record is 38 minutes or so? Pavement-to-pavement.

Keyhole I've done car-to-car in 24 minutes...but...that's almost criminal...

Take yer time and have fun. Scenery is beauty.

Oh, and, Zion's is a bank...or a mercantile...or collection of idiots...(!)...ha ha...

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook