RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner gamehendge

Sep 17, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Acopa B3s?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone ever used or own a pair Acopas, in particular the B3's. I was reading their review on Climbing Mags. and was rated rather highly. I was just wondering if anyone has had personal experience w/ them. Besides their stretch factor, are they comfy, stickiness, etc...

roseraie

Sep 17, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Re: Acopa B3s? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know anything specifically about the B3s, but I have Acopa Auroras and I absolutely adore them.

I bought them snug and now they fit like a glove. (This shoe is unlined.) You won't have to go as far below your street shoe size as you do with Sportiva.

The rubber is most similar to Sportiva's. It's not uber-sticky like MadRock or FiveTen, but it does have a nice consistency and is holding up really well.

The Acopas are really comfortable, except sometimes in the heel, where they're a bit stiff.

All in all, I love them, and highly recommend the brand.

Meg

Partner tgreene

Sep 17, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no experience w/ the B3's, other than what I was told by "Steve" at Acopa, when I spoke w/ him about the new linup last week. I was told the B3 is the Ferrari of the line, that needs to be worn by a hard edge climber... It's not an intermediate shoe!

The shoe for the standard climber, is the Chameleon, which just arrived at my doorstep about 1 hour ago. :mrgreen:

I've worn the Acopa Icampa's for a year now, and freakin LOVED them, even though I mistakenly bought them too tight. Aside from the fact that they were painful to wear (even after they stretched), I've still opted to wear them, rather than either of my other 2 pair of perfectly fitting shoes.

BTW: The new lineup has been presized to match your street shoe, so order the same size that you wear everyday!

I wrote a review of Acopa the other day, that can be found here:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/....php?p=859415#859415

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, now that I've had an opportunity to closely examine (but not yet climb in them) my new Chameleon's, and I totally dig the new style. The shoe is very Asymmetrical, in order to provide superior edging capabilities over the Icampa, which was already tops in that arena.

I also like the new tongue and the velcro fasteners appear to be better designed than before. The long velcro tabs (as before) make it very easy to reach down and adjust your shoes while climbing, because sometimes you simply need that capability... especially when climbing mixed routes that switch between cracks, faces and slabs.

Acopa's are definitely shoes that are worthy of looking into! 8^)

Partner gamehendge

Sep 21, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks alot tgreene. Keep me posted when you finally get on the rock. I am most interested on the rubber friction and overall comfort (all day wear, multi). Till now I've been using Madrocks which stick really great, REALLY GREAT, but I'm sure as you have read in other posts, just wear down too quick. Just bought my 3rd pair (LOCOS) which I plan to use only on redpoints and really overhanging stuff. I was looking into getting an all around shoe and was looking in into Acopas. Thanks. Marty.

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marty:

The rubber is SUPERB to that of MadRock, and I speak from experience... I had a pair of Flash, used them once, and gave them away that day!

If all goes well, I'll be climbing this weekend, and will have a great opportunity to put these through the paces on some limestone. Except for a few necessary design improvements, it is still basically the same shoe as the Icampa that I climbed in for the past year. The only 2 things that I really didn't like, have been greatly improved upon, and even those were very minor issues from the beginning.

Once you try Acopa's, you'll honestly never want to climb in another shoe again!!! 8^)

To take it a step further, call Steve at Acopa and tell em that I (Tim Greene)suggested that you do so... This will give you a chance to get all of your questions answered properly, by the folks that design them.

Acopa
510-262-9581

omenbringer

Sep 21, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone ever used or own a pair Acopas, in particular the B3's. I was reading their review on Climbing Mags. and was rated rather highly. I was just wondering if anyone has had personal experience w/ them. Besides their stretch factor, are they comfy, stickiness, etc...
No experience with the B3 but have had my aztecs for a few months now. they are awesome, great fit, good rubber that will last, with some high end shoe features at a budget price.

The sizing was right on with what the brannock device said. I have not really noticed any real stretching except to conform better to my foot, surprising considering they are unlined leather. The rubber has held up well even after the abuse of J-Tree rock and gym plastic. I can say I will definately be looking at buying another pair.

jklinke

Sep 22, 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a store in the San Diego area that carries them?

Partner tgreene

Sep 22, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dunno... call em and find out! :wink:

omenbringer

Sep 23, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there a store in the San Diego area that carries them?
REI carried them not to long ago, though I think there may only be limited sizes available now. If you can't find them there then you can always order them directly off of Acopas website.

jklinke

Sep 23, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I had checked REI's web site, but couldn't find anything about Acopa there. I found it's most always better to try different sizes of the same shoe at the same time, rather than going back-and-forth with online ordering until one finds the size that fits best. Shipping adds up, too.

omenbringer

Sep 23, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The San Diego REI store as of yesterday had, at least a few sizes, of the Auroras and the Aztecs. The website doesn't reflect that. If they don't have your size then you are out of luck, no other store in SD stocks them.

maracas

Sep 23, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.vertimania.com.mx/ESCALADA/Zapatos/zaptos_de_escalada.htm

So you see, not only european shoes are quite more expensive in the US, also mexican shoes are way overpriced as soon as you cross the border.

(US to Mexican peso is 11.5)

So that is quite a markup for distributing in the US.

Try having a friend in Tijuana or Rosarito, and have them sent to him, shipping is probably around US$9 from this store. I do not know if they can ship international cheaply (although shipping to US resolers was around US$15, so even to the US it might be a lot cheaper than buying in US if you know your size.

piton

Jan 23, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just wondering has anyone tried the B3 out yet? and how is everyone sizing their shoes? i think on the acopa website they say to size your street shoe size. also do they stretch? i'm going to send a email over to jb and find out more.

thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook