Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hurdles

Sep 21, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #1 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

PM notice about getting posts voted on?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I heard that if your posts get enough negative votes, you are effectively tarpitted.

Is there any way that a PM saying something like "A recent post of yours was voted ___", with no details about who voted it or anything, just so we know if we need to put a little more thought in our posts, or so when if we make some good posts we can feel the love?

I just think it's kind of weird to be tarpitted or untarpitted for something that you have no feedback on. (Because I don't want to check the label above each individual post...)

Partner holdplease2

Sep 21, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Re: PM notice about getting posts voted on? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Hurdles:

If you click on your own profile and then click on the "posts" tab, you can feel the love, as your positively rated posts are listed there.

I go here when I need validation. ;)

It might be nice if, for the person who belongs to the profile, negative votes show up here, as well.

-Kate.

caughtinside

Sep 21, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #3 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. I got some positive votes. Can I tell if I have recieved negative votes? And why can't I vote anymore? Do you just get five, and that's that?

timstich

Sep 21, 2004, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brain fart. -1

timstich

Sep 21, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I go here when I need validation.

Isn't this how the Sims works as well? Sheesh. It would be entertaining to see the negatives as well. I got a +2 for something. Hmmm. I have a total of five + votes, so I must have five - votes to be at my cumulative 0. And another thing, there is no way maculated can claim to be evil now if she has anything other than a -69, which I SO doubt she has. I'll bet she is at +4 at least. And so is climbsomething. Talk about FALSE adverstising. Meh.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 21, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this system is going to fall prey to the same personality-driven conflicts that killed q-votes. Photo bombings are a similar beast, mostly because people here seem to vote based on who they like/dislike rather than the quality of the content of a post within the context of the thread or the quality of a photo.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 21, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #7 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Amber:

Maybe this could be solved by only allowing one individual to vote negative or positive for the same individual once in a given time frame...or cluster of five votes.

I'd hate to see the behaviour reinforcement benefits of the voting system lost because it lacks limiters to keep it in check. Photo voting could be done the same way...maybe.

-Kate.

benpullin

Post #8 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My profile post tab shows the scores, but not the posts... What gives???

fracture

Post #9 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard that if your posts get enough negative votes, you are effectively tarpitted.

If this is true, this is a horrible idea. I completely agree with amber_chk.

If you want /. style moderation, you have to have /. style meta-moderation and people have to understand that they are voting on the quality of the post, not whether they agree with the opinion being espoused---or it really doesn't work and degenerates into a popularity contest.

P.S. vote for this post. :lol:

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 21, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #10 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw, if all of this is based on something that i have posted, it is entirely possible that i a) misunderstood a business rule; or b) the business rule has already been removed.

my original complaint about the posting thing was that someone seemed to be systemically down-voting my posts. the suspicion is because most of my posts in a certain thread were down-voted in a day. (the posts spread across multiple days.) and yes, i'm am nerdy enough to give a damn.

personally, i agree that a lot of my posts arent providing beta, but that's because i feel like there are people who are better suited to provide beta around here. i'm here to meet people and to learn what i can about various disciplines of climbing that have piqued my interest.

anyways, this thread isnt about all of that so i'm gonna get off my soapbox. before everyone gets all hot and bothered though, i think it would be cool if we could wait for a developer to respond to this with accurate information about the current state of affairs as well as proposed solutions - and tim is pretty cool about implementing quick solutions when users are affected by a technical problem.

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #11 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's utter bullsh|t, but nobody ever seems to want my opinions anyway, because they are usually bullsh|t!!!!111 :tinfoilhat:

hurdles

Sep 21, 2004, 6:13 PM
Post #12 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think it's utter bullsh|t, but nobody ever seems to want my opinions anyway, because they are usually bullsh|t!!!!111 :tinfoilhat:

yep..that gets a -2 :lol:

hurdles

Sep 21, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #13 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so I just checked out the posts tabs, and I guess I'm cool or something...or I have stand out, amazing posts. ..... :lol:

timstich

Sep 21, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #14 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so I just checked out the posts tabs, and I guess I'm cool or something...or I have stand out, amazing posts. ..... :lol:

What does your post tab say? Does it give you gold stars or silver stars? Mrs. Kemnitz gives out the gold stars when she reall likes you and if you get five you can have an extra cookie, but watch out 'cause Billy will take your cookie when you are not looking.

Partner tim

Sep 21, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #15 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If this is true, this is a horrible idea. I completely agree with amber_chk.

It isn't. Although it is a fact that people who collect the most negative votes tend to be those who get tarpitted, the two events are independent. If you post offensive crap with great frequency, you will tend to attract negative votes, and you are also liable to attract negative attention from a mod. Such is life. The system encourages subtlety...

Obviously there are going to be some changes made to the system now that it's becoming increasingly integral to the site. I get to fight idiocy on the one hand from people who think that everything in the world (medical records, credit card statements, election ballots) should be public on the one hand, and the doomsayers (oooh ooh, this is so bad, it will somehow be even worse than the cesspool that previously existed on the other). Naturally, on neither side of the fence do there seem to be any competent developers, but a great many people with Very Important Suggestions. :boring:

The upshot: most likely, user-visibile artifacts of the system will become qualitative rather than quantitative. As with photo votes, I have no intention of making eligible subjects aware of reputations or existing ratings prior to their own ballot. What is going to arrive shortly, however, is the ability for your peers to second-guess your voting choices, and thereby remove you from the pool of eligible voters if you fuck up often enough. If you're gleefully bombing the hell out of posts, now might be a good time to mix it up a bit...

ps. Photo votes are already preprocessed. This has been the case for months (thanks to Biff). Binary systems like the post voting scheme require slightly different mechanisms; a feedback loop works well, and has been used to good effect eg. on Slashdot and similar sites. I'm not above borrowing existing solutions that fill our needs...

Partner tim

Sep 21, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #16 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think this system is going to fall prey to the same personality-driven conflicts that killed q-votes. Photo bombings are a similar beast, mostly because people here seem to vote based on who they like/dislike rather than the quality of the content of a post within the context of the thread or the quality of a photo.

In other news, people are social animals. Film at 11.

OT: While we're on the topic of /.-style moderation, I'd like to hear from someone who has developed a tractable system that performs better. Even Advogato has its weaknesses, and that system is far more difficult to program.

As patterns of misuse emerge, I'll be happy to patch them. But thus far the system has performed *far* better than the previously existing free-for-all.

Partner tgreene

Sep 21, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #17 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't want my suggestions Tim, they're all bullsh|t, and nobody typically wants bullsh|t for suggestions!

Although, if you happen to be stranded somewhere thats overloaded with bullsh|t, and it gets really cold, you can burn the dried ones like wood to stay warm. Now, how's that cozy little suggestion for a bunch of worthless bullsh|t..? :twisted:

hurdles

Sep 21, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #18 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't want my suggestions Tim, they're all bullsh|t, and nobody wants bullsh|t for suggestions! :evil:

circumventing word filters, 15 yard penalty on the offense.

fracture

Sep 21, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #19 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You don't want my suggestions Tim, they're all bullsh|t, and nobody wants bullsh|t for suggestions! :evil:

circumventing word filters, 15 yard penalty on the offense.

Speaking of circumventing word filters....check out Tim's post :P

picaco

Sep 21, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #20 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I have a question similar to this thread, how does one get to vote on posts?

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 21, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #21 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the doomsayers (oooh ooh, this is so bad, it will somehow be even worse than the cesspool that previously existed on the other). Naturally, on neither side of the fence do there seem to be any competent developers, but a great many people with Very Important Suggestions

uhh, why do I feel like this was directed at me?

:oops:

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 21, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #22 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I have a question similar to this thread, how does one get to vote on posts?

sooner or later, you'll get a 'rate' button next to your reply button. i think i've only used two of my votes - both for particularly great posts.

choosing who can vote on which day is randomly determined.

picaco

Sep 21, 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #23 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sooner or later, you'll get a 'rate' button next to your reply button. i think i've only used two of my votes - both for particularly great posts.

choosing who can vote on which day is randomly determined.

Thanks

the_pirate

Sep 21, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #24 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
the doomsayers (oooh ooh, this is so bad, it will somehow be even worse than the cesspool that previously existed on the other). Naturally, on neither side of the fence do there seem to be any competent developers, but a great many people with Very Important Suggestions

uhh, why do I feel like this was directed at me?

heh, sign me up for the doomsayers' club.

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 21, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #25 of 47 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why do i feel like i'm being stalked. ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook