RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

zozo

Sep 23, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Wtf!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hope this is the right forum but here goes.....

Two of the last three nights I have been woken up by my calf muscle cramping up. I dont mean just alittle cramp either, Im talking a seizure type cramp. Never felt anything like that before!

Is there a doctor in the house?

mother_sheep

Sep 23, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wtf!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Drink more water, eat some bananas, stretch before and after workouts. If that doesn't work, check with your doctor to see if quinine sulfate will help you.

crimpandgo

Sep 23, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go see a doctor :D

I am not one, but do know people that have had the same problem types. Can be caused by lack of salt in system which makes your nerve endings fire correctly. When you are low on salt, you can get all kind of spasms going on. I have also heard low potassium counts can cause things like this. at any rate, you have an inbalance in your system that a simple blood test could help identify. Good luck

calcaneus

Sep 23, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are many things that might cause your symptoms. Only a history and physical exam (along with any further indicated diagnostic tests) will allow a medical professional to make a diagnosis amd recommend treatment.

Go to a doctor, and never take medical advice you find on the internet.

Good luck!

climbersoze

Sep 23, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Drink more water, eat some bananas, stretch before and after workouts. If that doesn't work, check with your doctor to see if quinine sulfate will help you.

Aside from eating bananas, try dill pickles and avocado/guacomole... avocadoes have more potassium than bananas, which is the reason people recommend bananas when you are cramping.

Ma sheep is right though... its probably a combo of dehydration and potassium deficiency, and stretching is always recommended.

You are getting a ton of advice to go to a doctor, which I would recommend if it persists. But try to change your diet a little or your water intake before you go running to a doc. Of course, if the pain is unbearable, or if it persists, or only happens when you do certain things, then it should be diagnosed.

Cramps by themself is not a reason to run to a doc.

shakylegs

Sep 23, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to have the same thing. Follow the advice given above.
However, if you do wake up in the cramp pain (and, boy, do I feel for you, punching away at your calf, trying to loosen it up), try extending your leg out and then flexing your toes toward you. That little stretch seems to do the trick.

overlord

Sep 24, 2004, 8:33 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second water. cramps are usually caused by dehydration. and bananas also help. as does magnesium (solluble tablets, dont go eat climbing chalk, though it probably wouldnt hurt you, its not exactly tasty).

marshall84

Sep 24, 2004, 1:06 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Used to have the same thing. Follow the advice given above.
However, if you do wake up in the cramp pain (and, boy, do I feel for you, punching away at your calf, trying to loosen it up), try extending your leg out and then flexing your toes toward you. That little stretch seems to do the trick.

Another thing you can do. I know this will sound crazy, but it works. Pinch that little dimple under your nose and above your lip. Index finger on the dimple and your thumb on the inside of your upper lip. Put a little pressure on it. It's an accupressure point that actually will help release the muscle spasm.

killclimbz

Sep 24, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just cut it off at the knee, or drink more water...

zozo

Sep 24, 2004, 1:43 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Pinch that little dimple under your nose and above your lip. Index finger on the dimple and your thumb on the inside of your upper lip. Put a little pressure on it. It's an accupressure point that actually will help release the muscle spasm.

If I try this and it doesnt work Im coming looking for you! :)

If I drink any more water I will officially be spending 51% of my day in the bathroom. So it looks like a steady diet of bannanas.

iltripp

Sep 24, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are many things that might cause your symptoms. Only a history and physical exam (along with any further indicated diagnostic tests) will allow a medical professional to make a diagnosis amd recommend treatment.

Go to a doctor, and never take medical advice you find on the internet.

Please... we're talking about a freakin' cramp here. It's hardly necessary to go running to a doctor just yet, nor is it necessary to hand out the "never take medical advice on the internet" card.

He has a cramp. People gave him very sound advice about stretching, potassium intake, and hydration. Follow that advice and then see someone if the problem persists.

I hate it that we've reached a point where we go running to a doctor for the slightest ache and pain. I also think it is dumb that it is deemed necessary to put a "don't take medical advice on the internet" disclaimer on everything.

shakylegs

Sep 24, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Marshall, I gots ta try that.
I know nothing about nutrition, but can't you "overdose" on potassium?

canadiangrl

Sep 24, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its commonly known as a charliehorse. You cant do much for it, excpet to stretch and suck it up Nicki

jdouble

Sep 24, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you are getting enough calcium as well. Potassium and hydration helped me, but I think I was calcium deficient which supposedly can cause cramping as well. As soon as I added more calcium to my diet, the problems went away. Hope it helps.

calcaneus

Sep 25, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that it is sad that we've come to such a state of affairs that a disclaimer must be attached to every bit of medical advice given on the internet. The problem is that any medical professional (i.e. the only people qualified to offer medical advice in the first place) open themselves up to the very real possibility of litigation and liability if they offer advice to a patient that they have never talked to or examined.

Don't like it? Write a letter to your elected officials.

Keep in mind that some very serious conditions present initially with apparently benign signs and symptoms. There is a reason that becoming a physician takes 7-10 years of post graduate training.

So let me reiterate: Consult a medical professional regarding your symptoms, and never take medical advice you receive on the internet.

soulwithoutfear

Sep 25, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get cramps occasionally from climbing and hiking. If I have a harder day than usual, I might take an aspirin before I go to bed. Otherwise, I drink a lot of water all day and If I get a cramp at night I suck it up and straighten out my leg. It hurts but it passes faster.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook