Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Williamson closed?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rkeil

Sep 28, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Williamson closed?  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Williamson_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

according to the USFS website, http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/ they've closed the forest unless you're within 1/8 of a mile of the highway as of today. Which would mean Williamson is closed right?

Anyone know how tight enforcement will be, based on past year's closures?

robert

Partner f_thomas

Sep 28, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2380 views)
Shortcut

No It's Open Re: Williamson closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Williamson is not closed and this can be verified by contacting the Angeles National Forest Service office. I heard the news, read the press release and then contacted them. Williamson is open due to it's ease of ingress and eagress should it be required due to a fire.

Enjoy Williamson!

jt512

Sep 28, 2004, 5:23 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Re: No It's Open Re: Williamson closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Williamson is not closed and this can be verified by contacting the Angeles National Forest Service office. I heard the news, read the press release and then contacted them. Williamson is open due to it's ease of ingress and eagress should it be required due to a fire.

This is correct. I called the Angeles National Forest headquarters in Arcadia this morning. They referred me to the Los Angeles River Basin District office, which has jurisdiction over Williamson. I spoke with Ranger John Keeler in that office. According to Ranger Keeler, the District's internal written interpretation of the forest closure order explicitly names Williamson Rock among the areas that will remain open.

We're being given a break, so let's be good. Fire restrictions prohibit smoking, except within closed automobiles. All fires, including gas stoves are prohibited, even in the parking lot.

-Jay

benpullin

Sep 28, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512

Sep 28, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
We're being given a break, so let's be good. Fire restrictions prohibit smoking, except within closed automobiles. All fires, including gas stoves are prohibited, even in the parking lot.

How are we supposed to enjoy the shrimp?

I seriously think we should comply with the fire restrictions until the end of the season. There's no way that Wmson is within 1/8 mile of the road. They're going out of their way to keep the crag open for us. We should at least cooperate.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook