Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gat

Sep 27, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #26 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Re: What sort of people are we? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Stereotypes are no good, but I felt like the climbers tended to care less about their health...they smoke cigs and pot, drink more heavily and don't get as much cardio. The bikers were pretty much the opposite.

That's kinda interesting, actually... The bikers I know were a bunch of pothead/smokers/drinkers

Ditto that. I have ridden with exponentially more people than I have climbed with, the vast majority were smokers.

So as not to hijack the direction of this thread...I am part office manager, part accountant, part IT guy, full time father of two boys ages 2 and 4. In recent years I am lucky to get 6 days a year at Seneca and 3 days outside to climb locally (more than 1 hr each way). Great trails are close by, so I spend a lot more time trail running and mtn biking. The 4 year old is ready to move from the indoor wall to the great outdoors. If he continues to enjoy it, there will be much more time spent climbing next season.

bipom89

Sep 27, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #27 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know if im the average climber that uses this site either. Im a sophmore in highschool whose just starting out. I really only climb in gyms, and once in the gunks with my uncle, though i fully intend to imerse myself in the sport. Ive been reading about ice climbing, and i would love to try it in a few years. Does anyone have any advice as how to start out ice climbing?

dingus

Sep 27, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #28 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That's kinda interesting, actually... The bikers I know were a bunch of pothead/smokers/drinkers

Ditto that. I have ridden with exponentially more people than I have climbed with, the vast majority were smokers.

Odd....

Pretty much both groups exhibit this behavior in my presense.

Hmmm.

Now why do you suppose that is?

My Mom woul suggest it is the company I keep?

Their Mom's WOULD TOO???

Ya think???

DMT

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 27, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #29 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually....I don't puff-puff and aside from those I noted...my close friends, nope, none puff puff nor smoke and rarely drink...HOWEVER, those close friends (nix the ex) aren't climbers nor are they bikers...

So, the company I keep vs the company I climb or biked with, aren't necessarily from the same groups...It's all subjective in my experience... LOL then again, I can't see some of these guys carrying in the company of eating tea sandwiches and drinking a cuppa w/ their pinkies out ;)

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Odd....

Pretty much both groups exhibit this behavior in my presense.

Hmmm.

Now why do you suppose that is?

My Mom woul suggest it is the company I keep?

Their Mom's WOULD TOO???

Ya think???

DMT

berkly

Sep 27, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #30 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think most of the replies your going to get in this thread will be from students or white collar workers. Mainly because they are the ones who sit in front of a computer all day being bored, looking for something to do. Like me responding to this thread.

Im 25 years young, started climbing regulary about a year ago, a special agent for the federal aviation administration investigate pilots, and spend more time on this site than I care to admit. Not because Im ashamed, but more than likely someone is watching what I am typing. shhhhhhhhh, someones coming, i gotta go.

(quickly turns off monitor, runs down the labyrinth of cubicles to the corner office, out the window, jumps and safely deploys parachute with seconds to spare)

tradmanclimbs

Sep 27, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #31 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What type of music do you play?? also when do you climb. i live just accross the river in woodstock/pomfert vt nick

tradmanclimbs

Sep 27, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #32 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

42 years old/young? photographer, horses in the summer skiers/riders winter. i play music and climb as much as i can. Rain, work and injuries have screwed this year up a bit but usualy climb 150 days + per year. I am only at 101 days so far this year so I doubt I will make it, especialy with my shoulder messed up :cry: Supposed to be editing photos and updateing my website but usualy playing hooky in here.

opheliaascending

Sep 27, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #33 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 23, 2 kids, 1 big kid (well, more like a man-type) working full time selling real estate when I'm not letting my eyes glaze over on this website.

My partner and I get out every Sunday, almost without fail. It's tough to climb with two small chillins' but we make up for it by eating, sleeping and breathing climbing while we're at home by practicing knots, poring over pictures and books and bouldering on local chimneys (the fire kind). Oh! and we're in the planning stages for building a wall in our garage.

I suddenly feel this strange impulse to get a degree in engineering after reading the previous posts! :wink:

smilingone

Sep 27, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #34 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 19 going to College full time and working about 25 hours a week. I don't get much climbing in because of my lack of local partners. My school has a great wall and I am not too far away from some good outdoor climbing but I never really have time to go. Too bad school gets in the way of the fun things in life.

nightlion

Sep 28, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #35 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I"m a 22 yr old outdoor recreation major thats one credit away from having my degree. Currently work for a program called Homeward Bound, based in Cape Cod, Mass. I run a cabin with 9 youth at risk students and two other staff members for 27 striaght days, 24 hours a day. Then have 15 paid days off where I return to my home in PA or go climbing somewhere in New England. Unfortunately my climbing at work is more along the lines of teaching people how to belay and go up a rock or wall that they don't really want to do. But, 2 weeks off is awesome. And, i've babbled long enough now.

chanf

Sep 28, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #36 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

college student, marketing major (not engineering!), going for a profession in the dental field. currently working at a dental laboratory. i don't climb enough.

mgr

Sep 28, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #37 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a junior in high school. I've been climbing for about two years, but have gotten really into in the last year. Oh, I work as a cashier; you know for a little extra pocket change. :wink:

grin-n-barrett
Deleted

Sep 28, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #38 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stock broker with time inbetween calls to check out what peeps are posting...don't get out enough so I live vicariously through the site...j/k Currently working on my MBA and raising a family...take care brother

dutyje

Sep 28, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #39 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a professional ping pong player. I get contract gigs at Fortune 100 financial institutions to come in and train their full-time software engineers on the subtleties of the game. My presence as an entertainer and satirist is seen as a valuable morale-booster in these tough economic times.

I am 30, married, with a 7-month-old son. I spend tons of time on this site, because after I got back into climbing a year ago, I realized that my ping pong career isn't all it's cracked up to be. This site and the gym help to numb the pain when I can't get out to the real rock.

theishofoz

Sep 28, 2004, 4:14 AM
Post #40 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a sophmore in high school at De La Salle high school in concord, i can only climb on the weekends and most of the time it is at the gym :cry: i try to get out to the rock as much as possible which is mostly yos. in the spring (dontya just love it ) and goin to tahoe (truckee) to do some climbing this weekend :D (i am currently unemployed but trying to get a job at a gym to pay for gear)

lehrski

Sep 28, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #41 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an environmental chemist. I do get outside regularly for my job, but spend a lot of hours in the lab too. So climbing is limited to squeezing a few hours in at the crags after work a couple evenings a week and Saturdays in the mountains.

Partner packclimber

Sep 28, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #42 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Full time business major manger at local resturant 40+ hrs a week and a climbing instructor at a local gym climb 1 maybe two times a week and get outdoors when there is time 19 yrs old not much else to say

craghack

Sep 28, 2004, 6:57 AM
Post #43 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 29 years old, have a son and am married to my high-school sweetheart. I teach English at a primary school near my hometown. I've been climbing on and off for about 14 years, but have become serious about it only in the last two years. I try to climb outside every weekend but often fail to do so because there is always some work to be done on our family house me and my wife are building. I already have some plans and designated space for my woodie. Can't wait to star working on that!

I spend half an hour/day on this site (average). I joined because of the forum - good advice and good laughs! :D

gritstoner

Sep 28, 2004, 9:45 AM
Post #44 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im a 25yr old supply teacher. its great, get to pick my own days i work, how much holiday i want etc. at the moment, all i have to do is make enough money to keep me alive and going on climbing trips. talking of which its font on friday.

e_free

Sep 28, 2004, 9:57 AM
Post #45 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im 23. EMT by trade, was a youth pastor for 2 years. majored in psychology, minor in biology. now i work for a bank in trust real estate. i live in hawaii and only recently discovered there are rocks here. have been climbing off & on since i was 4. learned in the sierra foothills on boulders (theyre BIG when youre 4!). became more serious abotu climbing since i moved to hawaii and it was not convieniently available anymore. and my brtohers and dads obsession has been transfused. although i might have some f it from my mom too. she used to rapell out her dorm room instead of taking the stairs hehe

elisa

mensrae

Sep 28, 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #46 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

25 year old cop.

climbing on and off since i was 16

sabu

Sep 28, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #47 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a jobless high skool student, i hope to study medical science i climb whenever i hav the chance, i train indoors twice a week. i save every last cent for climbing. i've been climbing since i was 13. i also spend my some of my time on the computer, listoning to songs, msn etc so when im doing im cruising this site.

lokiraven

Sep 28, 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #48 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

27, 1 kid, 60+ hours a week as a heating and air conditioning contractor. I am often able to take long weekends and days off in the middle of the week, but I always pay for it with even longer weeks afterward. I boulder, sport climb, and have recently started trad climbing.

quickclips

Sep 28, 2004, 1:18 PM
Post #49 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a 6th year senior studying mechanical engineering. I'm looking at grad school, not sure whether thats to put off a job for that much longer or if I really want to dive into biomed field. I've been climbing since my frosh year. I started the outdoor program at my school. And I'm doing an independant study right now designing new types of multi-directional pro.

pettsnjam

Sep 28, 2004, 1:25 PM
Post #50 of 50 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

23, IT professional (ha), I just started working my first real job out of college and got married! Not much time for climbing this summer but am looking forward to ice climbing in Canada this winter on the weekends.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook