RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

texscala

Sep 29, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut

Mt Timponogas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few friends and I are planning on climbing Timp early in 2005. We are going up from Bridalveil Falls and plan to camp near the South Peak the first night and then do to the summit and back the next day. If any one has any kind of info or would like to come let me know. I have been up to the south peak in winter before and it is pretty amazing.

brianinslc

Sep 29, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #2 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mt Timponogas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A few friends and I are planning on climbing Timp early in 2005. We are going up from Bridalveil Falls and plan to camp near the South Peak the first night and then do to the summit and back the next day. If any one has any kind of info or would like to come let me know. I have been up to the south peak in winter before and it is pretty amazing.

Across the street from Bridalveil, I'm assuming.

Be very very careful with avalanche danger. I tried it from near Sundance before, and, can be bad avy terrain up that way. Also, I'd assume cornices etc on that ridge traverse might make it pretty spicy.

Good luck!

Brian in SLC
ps, its Timpanogos...

kid

Sep 30, 2004, 4:14 AM
Post #3 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have spent numerous days on Timp and suggest a route from the other side up the Timpanokee trail and the starcase of scout falls. The route off that side in the spring is great if you are into alpine climbs or a great day of back country skiing. The upper headwall and the narrow couloir make for some interesting climbing/ skiing. Great freeze thaw cycles and interesting cliff band navagation. Be weary of the snow above 10,000 ft and watch for hang fire from the frequent avalanches above this elevation. The north west couloir is also an awsome route to climb and ski. Hit it hard but dont get hit hard. ~ Kid

texscala

Sep 30, 2004, 1:52 PM
Post #4 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are actually taking this route because of avalanche danger. I have tried it by Aspen grove before but turned around after watching a 4th avalanche occur. The South Peak rout gains a ridge line very quickly and uses that ridge line the whole way until the South Peak. It then uses another ridge line to the summit. The avalanche danger is vey low on the ridge and the cornices are breathtaking.

Thanks for the suggestion about the rout from the north. The south route is much easier for my friends and I to access here in Provo and I am pretty fammiliar with the route this being my 4th ascent attempt from nunns park. I have made the South peak from here once in winter and could have made it to the summit once but my partner started vomiting and shaking like crazy so I made him bail and went down with him.

If there are any more suggestions please keep them coming.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook