RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

mtengaio

Sep 30, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Maintaining Ice Screws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just bought some used screws and need some beta on how to care for them. How do I keep them from rusting?

timstich

Sep 30, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Re: Maintaining Ice Screws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dry them after use and apply a light coat of oil. Even vegetable oil will work. Whatever excludes water. I also coat my crampon points and axe picks.

mtengaio

Sep 30, 2004, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Makes sense to coat them. What about sharpening the threads? One of the screws threads are worn down a bit – I think from the sliding/adjustable hanger on it.

timstich

Sep 30, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Makes sense to coat them. What about sharpening the threads? One of the screws threads are worn down a bit – I think from the sliding/adjustable hanger on it.

Hmmm. I haven't heard of anyone actually trying to sharpen the thread edges. The beginning edge, sure. If you have a rough spot, have at it.

slobmonster

Sep 30, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of screws are they? From your description of the sliding hanger thingy methinks they're probably an off-brand or older style screw...

That said, you can file off any burrs, gently, with a small (4 or 6 inch) file. I keep one of these in my pack all winter anyways, for when I butcher my picks. As for the teeth, be careful. Optimally, you will want to maintain the angles as they were first milled, and this can be quite difficult. There are some folks out there who will sharpen your ice screws (for a price), and they can do an excellent job at it, but you'd probably be better off saving your ducats and buying some schwanky new ones regardless.

gunkiemike

Sep 30, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screws don't last forever and once they start getting dinged up, their days are numbered. But I don't simply retire them, au contraire. Bite the bullet and teach yourself how to sharpen the tips and touch up the inevitable burrs. Maybe sacrifice one for "research purposes" and really play with the teeth. In the long run you'll be glad you did. IMO there is no magic to sharpening them, you just need to be neat and consistent on your angles. I jumped in the deep end when I bought some closeout screws that were not honed at the factory. The teeth were a mess of burrs, flash and rough tool marks. So I got busy with a chainsaw (round) file and a flat jewelers file. They now bite quicker than brand new BD Turbos. (Now if they only had knobs on them)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook