RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

jdouble

Sep 30, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Thread your webing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone ever thread their webbing with another smaller piece of webbing? Whats the reasons/difference?

I was on a line last night that was 1 inch tubular webbing with another smaller piece of webbing threaded inside. Felt really good IMHO, kind of smooth and the flex was excellent.

Sorry if this was brought up before, I did a search and came up with 0.

lidosis

Sep 30, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thread your webing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah this is pretty common for us slackers, people will use threaded lines for long lines and some use it for high lines, more webbing=more strength. Threading it is not really difficult either.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 30, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah this is pretty common for us slackers, people will use threaded lines for long lines and some use it for high lines, more webbing=more strength. Threading it is not really difficult either.

Word, hits it about right. Highlines are pretty much always threaded. That's MY reason for threading, anyway. :)

billypilgrim

Sep 30, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thread all my lines. I find a single line very whip like and I end up with welts on my legs from getting snapped. A threaded line does not give welts and I think its a little more forgiving as well.

david.yount
Deleted

Sep 30, 2004, 7:55 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fun and trick. But I'd rather see both loops of webbing at a fixed rap station rather than see one loop of 1-inch tubular and feel the 9/16-inch tubular inside.

Related is one of my favorite knots, the Beer Knot.

Take 60-inches of 1-inch tubular webbing. In the middle of the webbing tie a loose Overhand Knot. Slide 13-inches of tail inside the other tail (takes some ingenuity or lots of patience). Now work the Overhand until it is centered over the doubled webbing. Cinch the Overhand so the tails are equal length.

One tail will be invisible because it is located inside the webbing. The second tail will be visible and it will have webbing coming out of it's mouth.

You'll have a single-length runner with no tails flapping, the Overhand Knot will be trim, clean and compact and most everybody will have no clue how you did it!

You'll have a 24-inch loop with 3.5-inch tails, which is what I use. Though it is recommended that tails from knots in webbing be 5-times longer than the webbing width, so for 1-inch webbing it is recommended to make 5-inch tails.

david yount.

PS using a candle flame gently melt each end of webbing before assembling, but one end should not be melt closed

PPS i use 1/8-inch steel rod, 3-feet long, hold rod end over candle flame for about a minute, poke hot end into webbing near tail until heated metal rod has slightly melted the webbing and created a pocket, now i can easily insert 13-inches of webbing into the other webbing tail

jdouble

Sep 30, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. I liked the non-wip like feel as well. Will be threading tonight!

Partner coldclimb

Oct 1, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

David: Very well composed and informative reply, but the topic is about threading a slackline. ;) You're right though, on everything you say there.

david.yount
Deleted

Oct 3, 2004, 9:15 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What?! Did I not read a single reply before typing?? Sorry. Yep, my bad.

Well, enjoy the Beer Knot!

david yount.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook