RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

radistrad

May 21, 2002, 8:17 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Buying a drill ?!?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not to burst your bubble, but why do you want to buy a drill?

Do you have experience placing climbing protection bolts. If you place a bolt it should be bomber, get some qualified help in this matter, learn to bolt before you go spending your $$$.

And I say buy a hammer and a hand drill, electric drills are not welcome in most parks.

spank_spank

May 21, 2002, 8:33 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Buying a drill ?!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Spend the extra cash and buy a Hilti.

And yes, seek somebody with drilling experience.

frawg

May 21, 2002, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I know are Bosch, hilti.. Hammer drills are HEAVY.
I would hate to try to hold one straight whilst danglin from a rope. Making a decent hole with one is hard enough on the ground

stewbabby

May 21, 2002, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the deal with the dewalt. I’m not sure exactly what drill you are referring to but I think I know. dewalt has a 24 volt cordless rotary hammer drill. IT DOES NOT WORK FOR DRILLING IN ROCK. Sand or mud it will probably work, but not rock. The thing is they marketed the drill wrong. They try to use its hammer quality as a selling point. What makes a good hammer drill is the fact that it is driven by a piston and the action of the hammer is between 1/8" and 1/4" minimum. The dewalt 24v hits at about 1/16" if that. it is not piston driven. The way it hits it would take a half-hour to drill one hole in good solid granite. if you are going to buy a drill you are going to have to shell out. There is no easy way around it. Makita has just come out with a new drill that is a little cheaper and I know that Makita will sell refurbished drills for a significant discount, so this may be something to look into. So like everyone else said bosch or hilti. Or I say go old school and hand drill on lead. I hope this answers your question.

P.S. please don’t bolt cracks or any other trad lines

rckjock

May 21, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bosch and Hilti are both good pretty good drills for battery powered. Only problem is limited holes if you dont buy extra battery packs.. especially in hard stone. The best drill I have is the Ryobi sds gas powered hammer drill. Weighs a bit more but will drill as many holes as ya need in a day. Also it drills the holes faster than the battery ones, so less time straining with the drill. The bad thing is Ryobi stopped making these and Im not sure if anyone else makes them..

And the same as the people before.. Bolting is alot of work and really must be done properly. Carefull planning and consideration on every placement is a must.

[ This Message was edited by: rckjock on 2002-05-21 14:05 ]

stevematthys

May 23, 2002, 5:59 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have heard good things about bosch drills

roughster

May 23, 2002, 6:57 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Bosch Annhilator.

In the most compact rock around: DENSE Granite, Quartz, Bastalt, etc... it will put about 10-12 holes in one charge depending on the length/diamater of the bolts. Generally since in dense rock I'll use 3/8 X ' or so it will get 12+.

In soft rock: limestone, grainy quartz monzonite, sandstone, tuff I can get 20+ bolts no problems.

Th other day I put in 8 bolts in some limestone, and didn't even reduce the battery indicator by 1/5 (it has 5 cell lights), i.e.. meaning after I was done, all 5 lights were still on.

I have been very happy and I have drilled side by side with some Hiltis and faired just as well and in some cases was able to put in more holes than some of the older ones.

A new Hilti will probably out strip the Annhilator, but then again a new Hilti runs around $200 more then a Bosch.

OK so bootom line, go with Hilti if you can afford it ~ $800, or go with the Bosch ~$600 to save a few hundred and get an extra battery.

Of course, used drills will screw the prices up, so then just go for the good deal, but either will work fine.

kerouac

May 29, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #8 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up a Makita Cordless Hammer Drill and it works just fine. The rock here on the Island is conglomerate which I can drill about 25 holes 3/8" x 3 3/4" no problem. Cost was $600 Canadian ( that's about $400 US) It was a great deal.

verticallaw

May 31, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto with the bosh anniahlator and also with the fact that you NEED KNOWLEDGE OF PROTECTION AND GEOLOGY BEFORE YOU PLACE BOLTS!!

crackaddict

Jun 1, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a DeWalt 24v cordless hammer drill and it works pretty good in rock I have'nt had any probems with it taking to long to drill 3/8x 3 1/2 holes in rhyolite. Less than a minute! But it is not as tough or as hard as granite. So I can see Stew's point.
The reason I bought it is that I only wanted to bolt a few routes and am not the commited to spend $600 on sport climbing. But for the routes I put up. It did the job.
Its advantages is that it is smaller, lighter and cheaper.
Disadvantages is that the batteries don't last as long, and you can't use the locking rotohammer bits with it.

If you are going to be bolting many lines and are commited to doing so then spend the extra cash and buy one of the high dollar drills. They are far more superior than the Dewalt and you'll wish you had bought one of the others.

Above all learn how to place bolts properly before you put up your route. Be responsible, because you are putting up a route for eveyone to climb!

radd

Jun 1, 2002, 5:59 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with verticallaw. GET SOME TO SHOW YOU THE CORRECT PROCEDURES FOR PLACING A BOLT. It is a little more complicated than most people think. When you create a route, hundreds of people put their lives in your hands. Just remember that!!!

ktwo

Jun 1, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #12 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did anyone happen to realize that this kid is 14 years old? I don't know about you, but I don't want a 14 year old setting my routes. Now, don't take this wrong, cause I am only 16, but there is no way in hell I would ever try to bolt a route, or climb a route that he bolted unless I knew that he had significant training!

crackaddict

Jun 1, 2002, 6:37 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man I did'nt even notice he was 14.
I have a nephew that I climb with who is 16 and has been climbing for 8 years. There is no way that I would let him bolt up his own route.
Or even trust his bolts!

You should get someone who is older and has experience in placing bolts to help bolt.
Not that you are'nt capable enough. But someone needs to be there to help you and oversee what you are doing.

Remember other peoples lives are at stake here!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook