Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

scgreene2000

Sep 28, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #51 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Re: nalgene myth shattered [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

on a serious note...

A bit of the possible truth (Bottle Racket On plastic water bottles
By Umbra Fisk)

"Nalgene bottles, made of polycarbonate (#7) or "Lexan," are more closely linked to bad stuff, specifically an ingredient called bisphenol-A (BPA). BPA is an endocrine disruptor that mimics estrogen and has been linked to aneuploidy, adipogenesis, and other scary problems with funny names. Drinking water or eating food containing leached BPA may cause chromosomal disruption, miscarriages, birth defects, or obesity. Eek!"
http://www.grist.org/...08/02/umbra-bottles/

maniacsurfer420

Sep 30, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #52 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not that hard guys buy the soft nalgene plastic and it is trully unbreakable . i know i chucked one filled wiht water off angels landing in zions canyon, which is a 900 ft drop and survived. And im not shitin you either.

billydude

Sep 30, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #53 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nowhere in any nalgen catalog does nalgene boast that they wont break! i work in a gear shop an kids come in all the time an buy em snickering 'oh they wont break' tisk tisk, they break! i dont see why people decide to chuck 8.50 off cliffs anyway. forget that you could hurt someo one. would you do that with a biner? i think nalgene bottles are awsome and i love mind but i love my girlfreind also, i dont chuck her off cliffs and watch her bounce of ledges. geez :cry:

petsfed

Sep 30, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #54 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
on a serious note...

A bit of the possible truth (Bottle Racket On plastic water bottles
By Umbra Fisk)

"Nalgene bottles, made of polycarbonate (#7) or "Lexan," are more closely linked to bad stuff, specifically an ingredient called bisphenol-A (BPA). BPA is an endocrine disruptor that mimics estrogen and has been linked to aneuploidy, adipogenesis, and other scary problems with funny names. Drinking water or eating food containing leached BPA may cause chromosomal disruption, miscarriages, birth defects, or obesity. Eek!"
http://www.grist.org/...08/02/umbra-bottles/

I'd like to see that study. I figure if I can consume my weight in Mountain Dew in a day, anything can cause cancer.

timstich

Sep 30, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #55 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="johnson6102002"]
In reply to:
I know nalgene will replace them, but i think they should change the term from unbreakable to unbreakable while empty.

I stopped buying Nalgene bottles years ago. They are heavy and too expensive. Why buy one when you can get a plastic bottle of water with a sipping end for a little more than a dollar? You add a keeper cord. Ta da.

sarcat

Sep 30, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #56 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've collected 7 over the years. All yellow with black lids. I even purchased 6 "spare" lids for when they need replaced. I melted the lid of one in the dishwasher.

One's at work, two in the car, one in the 4-wheeler and one has my daughters stickers all over it.

Partner packclimber

Oct 1, 2004, 3:57 AM
Post #57 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one of my friends shot one with a bb gun and it survied hell i've still got to try that myself. Breakable or not i will always carry a nalgene because if it does break i know it will be replaced. Just to be fair I also use a camalpack.

Partner packclimber

Oct 1, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #58 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one of my friends shot one with a bb gun and it survied hell i've still got to try that myself. Breakable or not i will always carry a nalgene because if it does break i know it will be replaced. Just to be fair I also use a camalpack.

dingus

Oct 1, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #59 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dropped one of them hard bodies 2 and a half feet onto a round rock at the base of Gray Eagle Dome on Shuteye Ridge deep in Mammoth Pool country, and lost half my water supply in a flash of a hot California sun. It got up over 90 that day and we did what we still suspect was the 2nd ascent of a stout wilderness grade III.

I wept and tore great chunks from my beard. I regretted the day I ever believed in the myth of unbreakable plastic. I swore I would one day hunt down this Mr. Nal Gene and exact my revenge!

All the while my dispassionate partner looked upon my bitter lamentations wihout pity or concern. As he sipped his soda bottle and licked his lips, he looked up at the bright sky, marred by not a single cloud, and said,

"Ayup Dingus, gonna he HOT today..."

My mouth still gets dry thinking about that day. Like, once you get to the top of the cliff you still have to climb another thousand feet up Shuteye Ridge. Then its probably an hour and a half to the nearest store of any kind.

Cheers
DMT

Partner tyify

Oct 1, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #60 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

nthisthebesta moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthisthebesta moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

uzziah

Oct 5, 2004, 8:50 AM
Post #61 of 61 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you silly punters. nothing is unbreakable. except, of course bruce willis in an m. night shamalan movie.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook