RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

buckeyeclimbski

Aug 22, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #1 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

making a chalk bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anybody out in the rc.com world ever made their own chalk bag, and if so do you have designs for it. I had one but on a long weekend away from home my jack russell terrier got into the closet and chewed up my last one. As a poor college student trying to save every penny I can I was just curious if anybody had ever made their own.

orangekyak

Aug 22, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #2 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Re: making a chalk bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I've made my own. And I know others on this site have too (because I've seen other threads like this - try a search :wink: )

Mine was kinda by scratch with no design, but I'll tell you about it. basically, I made two small stuff sacks - one out of fleece and the other out of lightweight ripstop nylon. You can use any material for the outside, but fleece is great for the inside because it helps dry your fingers and hand, even when the chalk is gone. You can find a stuff sack design lots of places online, thanks to The Google. I just guessed on the size, then went a little bigger (remember your seam allowances).

Some basic sewing skills, some imagination, and a length of small-diameter cord will serve you better than any complex instructions I type in this space. I'll try to take a picture of mine and post it.

armsrforclimbing

Aug 22, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #3 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made my own out of an old jean leg leg. Cut the bottom of a leg off, cut a circle out of the excess. I then took it and sewed it to the side of the leg that doesnt have the hem on it. I cut a small hole where the hem is and pushed a wire through it so the bag would keep its shape. You should now have a bag that stays open due to the wire. Take an old pear of sweat pants and cut the leg off. Sew the bottom closed. Make sure the side of the sweat pants that normally would be next to your skin is on the inside of the bag, this helps spread the chalk. Next take an old t shirt and cut the sleeves off. Sew the side with the hem on it to the outer edge of the sweat pant bag. Thread some cord through the hem in the tshirt to use as a closure later. Put the tshirt sleeve/ sweat pant bag into the jean bag and sew the side of the tshirt sleeve to the inside of the bag so the end match up. Before you finish, poke the ends of the rope through a 1 inch length of tube, like a bic pen casing or something. This helps it close. then poke the ends through the outside of the bag. Finish sewing the bag closed then it should be done. The string should close the bag completely, and it should open fairly easily. I made mine in about three hours or so. Good luck! Let me know if this post makes any sense, it does to me but only because I know each step.

saltamonte

Aug 22, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #4 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my brother lost his chalkbag to my sister in a bet but instead of buying a new one made one from a piece of leather. it has been I believe almost two years now and he continues to use the homemade version. it is pretty basic, start with a round piece of leather place something about the equivalent of the volume you wish to have in your chalk bag in the center pull the leather up and around it pierce the folds of the the leather where it closes around the top of your object and run a string (or strip of leather) through the holes and you have a small drawstring bag. if you loosen the string you can remove the object you placed in the bag to help ensure you placed the string correctly and then make one more set of piercings above the closure line for your belt and viola the chalk bag tarzan would have used. perhaps you wanted something that looked a bit more like a conventional chalk bag but I thought I would share anyway.
I found some shots of the bag but they are not very high quality here they are anyway. Sorry they are so small.

you can see that the string he uses as a belt is pretty loose and I think he sewed a flap down creating a tunnel for the belt instead of the two holes I described already either will work.

http://img.photobucket.com/...lok/samsvisit123.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...lok/samsvisit131.jpg

saltamonte

Aug 22, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #5 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see in the thread someone else posted while I was looking for pictures his elaborate description of how to keep it open. if you use thick leather like my brother did it will stay open on its own. it wants to lie flat again and only closes when you tighten the string

orangekyak

Aug 22, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #6 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my chalkbag, open
http://www.adamsworks.com/...imbing/chalkbag1.jpg

my chalkbag, closed
http://www.adamsworks.com/...imbing/chalkbag2.jpg

you can see the blue fleece inside, green nylon outside, purple nylon top part (contains cinch cord), orange cinch cord, and black tie lock.

buckeyeclimbski

Aug 22, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #7 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a lot from everybody that posted reply to my thread. I am going to look into a few of the ideas a little more.

boulderingwonderboy

Aug 24, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #8 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, all it takes to make a chalk bag is an old teddy bear a pair scizzors and a small peice of fabric to make a biner loop out of. cut the bottom of the teddy bear and discard its fluffy white inards. then superglue or sew a loop of fabric for the carabiner loop. this really only works well with a chalk ball though, just because it doesnt have a draw string. Or if you dont have this much time you can buy a bottle of crown royale and use that bag for a chalk bag! either way youll be the coolest guy at the crag with these bags! :lol:

jaybird2

Aug 24, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #9 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fork over the $10 ya cheap bastard. JK. But seriously. Put in one extra hour at work. You will waste way more time executing one of the elaborately laid out schematics provided by others. Besides, it will probably only last you so long anyway. Work smarter, not harder. :righton:

jookyhead

Aug 24, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #10 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kill two birds with one stone in this easy four step program:

Step 1: Buy Crown Royal
Step 2: Place chalk in Crown Royal bag
Step 3: Drink Crown Royal
Step 4: Climb

And there you have it.

dawnawanna

Aug 24, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #11 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made my own chalkbag so that I could have one with a pocket for keys, ring, etc. It was easy (but I already knew how to sew, and have a machine). I purchased the material off the remnant table so it was ultra-cheap. It's a great looking orange-plaid flannel. I cut off the top part of a small margerine container (basically a plastic circle) and put it it the top of the chalk bag to keep it open. I liked the plastic ring better than wire because it won't kink or permenantly fold under abuse. My chalk bag looks just like the one I origionally bought, but with much more "character". That orange-plaid is something else! :D

Although it was cheap, you've got to factor in the time. How much is your time worth to you? If you don't already sew or have access to a sewing machine... spend the money and buy a "professionally" built chalkbag.

climbingurlie

Aug 24, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #12 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you already have the materials you need, you could end up wasting money. If you are totally set on making your own bag, try hitting some kind of fabric/notions sale at WalMart or some local fabric store. Fabric and notions can be expensive...

buckeyeclimbski

Aug 25, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #13 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey to all of you that have replied to my post, I appreciate the ideas, although I am still about six months shy of being able to try the crown royal thing. I have purchased remnants from a local fabric shop, and I have enough material to make three chalk bags, from my plans. I only spent $3.00 for the remnents and I am having my girlfriend sew them for me because she has some more time on her hands than what I do, plus I am also sewing a pocket on mine to allow for an ipod or keys etc. From what I can tell this is going to be cheaper than buying one because there are no climbing stores around and by the time I would order one online or drive the the closest shop ( 2hrs away), I think that this will be the better route. Hey and if my dog gets ahold of this one somehow, I am only out three bucks instead of 20 so, once again thanks to all of you

Partner packclimber

Oct 1, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #14 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good idea think i am going to try that

Partner tyify

Oct 1, 2004, 6:39 AM
Post #15 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the idea of the crown royal bag. It holds the chalk great especially when lined with some fleece! Although you will spend money on the crown royal you can justify its purchase...I needed a new chalk bag! Doesn't matter that this probably costs 2wice what I'd buy a bag for but whatever... :wink: :roll:

markc

Oct 1, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #16 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I made my own out of an old jean leg leg.

A friend of mine also used a pair of jeans, but he encorporated the back pocket for storage and the belt loops to thread the cord. It came out really well. Lots of good ideas here, but it'd probably take me longer to design and manufacture a chalkbag than a woodie!

mark

treesail

Oct 1, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #17 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make ANYTHING from duct tape.

inoe_overhang

Oct 1, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #18 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hhhmmm,...

i have desing my own chalkbag, and my friend made it for me. And i always use itevery time i climb.
Not to big but is cool

Partner missedyno

Oct 1, 2004, 3:53 PM
Post #19 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's the one i made:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=39441

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=39442

people tell me to market it and sell them but i'd rather not - it took a lot of time for the design, and hand sewing to finish it.

ickleiz

Oct 4, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #20 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best home made chalk bag i ever saw was made by using a hand puppet as a bag - i think it was a seal! They had stuffed the chalk in where your hand would go and sowed an elastic thread into the top to close it when not inuse! I looked awesome! I was very jealous! :D

ter_bee

Oct 4, 2004, 4:52 PM
Post #21 of 21 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cute bunny.

Buckeye has a plan, but here's another cheap, needle-free suggestion for those with a climbing gym nearby:

Step 1. Go to gym at least twice a week for a while.
Step 2. Make friends with the people who work there.
Step 3. Ask them if they have a chalk bag in the lost & found that has been there for more than a year.
Step 4. Convince them to give it to you.

Okay, it's only cheap if you were planning on gymming it anyway. And it won't work for those of you who want to have a personal connection to your chalk bag (or a cute chalk bag), but for the thieves like me, it's way better than a bread bag.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook