Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
any 4th/easy 5th routes on the presidentials
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ben87

Oct 2, 2004, 7:12 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1383 views)
Shortcut

any 4th/easy 5th routes on the presidentials  (Australasia: Australia: South_Australia: Adelaide: Pelican_Plaza: Storm_boy_wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

or other high peaks? mountaineering routes? suggestions...?

robrox

Oct 13, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Re: any 4th/easy 5th routes on the presidentials [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yup, lots. My favorite is The Pinnacle in Huntington Ravine. At this time of year it's best to leave Pinkham Notch Visitor Center by 7AM. In another week you would be well served to make a headlamp start by 6AM. Weather can get ferocious in a heartbeat, but the Pinnacle is a real treat for easy climbing. The route(s) get iced up fairly early and, as they get little sunlight, they tend to stay that way. By mid October a pair of crampons and one alpine axe could easily come in handy. By Mid November you will want a couple of screws and two tools to go with the crampons.

The easy climbs are on the North Face of the Pinnacle, the hardest are on the West facing wall above the Pinnacle Gully. There are several GB's available and they all say the same thing: easier to the left harder to the right, close to the arete overlooking Pinnacle Gully. Two of the belays (2nd & 5th, where the variations converge) are at very scenic overlooks of the Gully.

The Pinnacle has a few fixed pins but #6 -# 13stoppers, doubles of the small to mid tri-cams and a half set of cams including one at 3 1/2 inches should suffice for the easy routes. a half-dozen draws will be good but slingage is what you will need, along with plenty of free biners. I used 4 doubles on one pitch and wanted another. Somehow I always manage to use my set of LoweBalls on that crag.

..If you take the 4th class option on the third pitch (low to the left beneath the bushes, then up) and work up and left to the comfy grassy ledge belay directly below the Allis Chimney you will really want a thin active cam or one of the smaller LoweBalls. That third move off the third belay to a ratty slab is spooky and the only other gear that would go in is pins.

The Allis Chimney is a real treat. The start is a bit of a puzzle to protect with the entry being exhilerating. Have fun with the chockstone near the top! The Chimney exit moves are strenuous but easy.

If the Pinnacle is crowded (unlikely), there is the much taller Central Gully. Speed is a serious issue on CG...it's realy long.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook