San Diego: Rainbow
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

collegekid

Sep 30, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #1 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

San Diego: Rainbow  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Free six-pack of beer (or favorite non-alcoholic beverage) to whomever is willing to show me around Rainbow.

I'm a moderate boulderer looking for some people to cruise SD's best bouldering spots with (i.e. work moderate-hard stuff at Woodson and elsewhere). I've already spent a fair share of time bouldering at Santee, but there's only so many times you can attempt "Suzie's Discharge" before your tips bleed.

PM me if interested.

jl

Sep 30, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Re: San Diego: Rainbow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friends own the property that Rainbow is on. Consider it private property. Would you like strangers trepassing on your property? I know that there is not much to climb in San Diego, but that does not give anyone the right to trespass. Sorry for being forward, but I would hate to see some trespasser ruin it for everybody. The fires last year really created new bouldering spots in North San Diego, specifically around Lake Wolford, if that helps.

clippedclimbing

Sep 30, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #3 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jl - sounds to me like you are covering your own a**, not looking out for everybody's concern. A sentiment like - let me talk to my friends and see if it would be cool to bring you down once to see what it is all about. Then you can always say hey they said "no". Then your motive would not be so transparent....

trenchdigger

Sep 30, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #4 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody's mommy didn't teach them to share...

In reply to:
My friends own the property that Rainbow is on. Consider it private property. Would you like strangers trepassing on your property?
I think the point of asking was that he's not willing to trespass...

I mean, he even offered free beer... BEER! Why not PM the guy and maybe try to set something up or give him contact info to ask about access? Or you could just be a dick and tell 'em to F#@* off.

~Adam~

jon06

Sep 30, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #5 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Collegekid.
I know exatically what delima you talking about. I would take you there myself (through the back door of course) just in spite of the owner, but, unforunatly i just move to N. Cal. My bro and I climbed there all the time, even when told by people the exact the same thing that JL posted, but in person. We laughed in there faces.
PM me and I'll tell you how to bypass the burocricy of the whole place.
On a different note, the place is relativly pristine, so if you do end up going there; dont litter, bushwack, or in anyother way disrespect the land.

Peace.

asandh

Sep 30, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #6 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

t-dog
Deleted

Sep 30, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #7 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Somebody's mommy didn't teach them to share...

hahahahha, classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously though, it's one thing to have your own little "private" bouldering place if the surrounding bouldering is abundant, but in SD, where the local bouldering licks, at best, that's just being a dick :evil:

apolobamba

Sep 30, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #8 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, you are actually advocating trespassing. You are a bunch of sad shitheads. You don’t have the right to climb anywhere you want.

trenchdigger

Sep 30, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #9 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WOW, you are actually advocating trespassing. You are a bunch of sad s---. You don’t have the right to climb anywhere you want.

There's one post in this thread suggesting trespassing. The others don't. You seem to have missed that. Defensive, selfish reactions like JL's are the root of this problem to begin with. And to get that after asking for information about gaining legal access to the area is, in your words "a bunch of sad s---."

jon06

Sep 30, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #10 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bit of a surfer mentality ??

Thats why I quit surfing!!!

collegekid

Oct 1, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #11 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely don't litter; in fact, I'd be willing to help out with some trail work or whatever if it would get me access. I actually ran into one of the guys who worked on the SD climbing guide at the Adopt-A-Crag the other weekend, and got the same response when I asked about rainbow--"It's really good, and I've been there, but it's private, good luck getting in."

olvegrn

Oct 3, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #12 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I heard some climber owns all that property and doesn't like sharing it. The other side of the freeway is just as good, so just climb there... good caving too.

roughster

Oct 3, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #13 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it posted as No Tresspassing? If not, you can climb there, unless the OWNER asks you to leave. If it is posted No Tresspassing, it is the owners responsibility to enforce it and it also means he is liable if you are to get onto his land and get hurt.

Its a two way sword. Laws like these are on the books to encourage private owners to allow public recreational use. I would encourage everyone to go the legitimate and proper way first by trying to get permission. If that fails or is not reasonable, just climb there if it is not posted. If it is posted, I hope the owner has a good insurance policy on the land as the 1st person who gets hurt there would have a legitimate attractive nuisance claim against the owner.

asandh

Oct 3, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #14 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster

Oct 3, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #15 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So the question is: is it posted No Tresspassing? It wasn't in 1999.

asandh

Oct 3, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #16 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

collegekid

Oct 4, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #17 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"But the ISSUE is not being some kind of jerk climber who gives the climbing community a bad name..."

Yes I know the quote above is *sort of* out of context, but wouldn't you say that a climber who devolops an area of supposedly superb quality bouldering, and then keeps it to themselves in an area lacking in superb bouldering, a jerk? Would you not say that this person gives the local climbing community a bad rep (which san diego's climbing community already seems to have)?

Anyway, if the owners of Rainbow are following this thread, my offer still stands...

asandh

Oct 4, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #18 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

collegekid

Oct 4, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #19 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, where's a spot that has bouldering as good as rainbow? I'd definitly be interested in going.

pbjosh

Oct 4, 2004, 7:04 AM
Post #20 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For christ's sake people, like it or not Rainbow is on private land. If you're not welcome, don't go. I haven't been but I'm not getting all butt-hurt about the fact that there is a "secret" area that's on private land - because that makes it a private area, not secret! They could have the only rock in the state on their property and it wouldn't change the fact that it's their property, to do with as they please.

In any case, it's not hard to find a lot of new rock post fire as Art has mentioned. The hillside across from Woodson is denuded of vegetation for the time being, at least.

There is a lot to be had, drive some back country roads. Check out places like: Wildcat Canyon Rd from Lakeside to Ramona, the areas out near Santa Ysabel and Warner Springs, Lake Henshaw, Ranchita, Valley Center, Lake Wolford, etc etc... there is a LOT of rock out there, depending on how hard you want to look.

maxter

Oct 4, 2004, 1:10 PM
Post #21 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found a small, quality boulder group off of Old Castle Rd. in Valley Center. The rock is Andesite and it is good. Get of I-15 and drive east on old castle about 2-3miles. Its on pr-pr but is not posted. Be quiet and were your camo clothes. Stay off posted land.

rockitjeff

Oct 4, 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #22 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea what pbjosh says

get in your car and explore. across the highway and a tad south are rainbow heights. I know there is rock to be found there~ some of it should be accessible and not on private land.

if you want your bouldering handed to you on a silver platter, well.. .nothing in northern san diego county is easy. chaparral, rattlesnakes, land owners, chaparral, illegal aliens, meth labs, pot farms, chaparral. enjoy.

esoteric1

Oct 4, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #23 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im assuming that these guys are the same people that claim ownership of a certain crag in north county, and have been known to break windshields of other people climbing on "their" crag. although i havent had my windshield cracked by them, it doesnt make me at all interested to meet them, ive heard they dont want gumbys on their land, and invite people that are sponsored and crank hard and are in the right cliques. if you want access to this place, meet people and climb with them, sooner or later youll meet people that have access. personaly, i could care less about a buncha boulders in rainbow, but thats just me. i prefer to climb with descent people. southern california is filled with idiots. non climbers and climbers alike.
good luck on your search
mark

indiansummer

Oct 4, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #24 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^ you mean lake hodges? We ran into those guys once...claimed ownership, unfriendly, threatening us even. Turned out to be kinda comical as they talked of legality, access issues, and nuisances while lighting up a joint and leaving their trash behind.

bigstiffy

Oct 4, 2004, 2:56 PM
Post #25 of 56 (14147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To all of you who find fault and dis the owners of Rainbow, you should probably try and meet the folks who own it and then make your statementsl. I was one of the individuals who helped develop Rainbow. And I have to repeat what rockitjeff has to say. Go find your own private idaho ya know

WE were the ones who scoped the boulders from the road, not knowing if there was anything climbable, because lots of SD rock is not. WE were the ones who cut the trails through double overhead SD brush, and if you have ever tried to bushwhack though that stuff you'll understand just what that means. What we found was some great bouldering....uh huh..good stuff. But then Woodson has great stuff. Lots of SD county has great stuff. But you have to put some effort into getting to it.

To say that the owners are pricks or selfish a-holes who only care about themselves or their friends is ignorant beyond belief. Who the hell are you to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their own property. It's not about doing a service to the climbing community, which I think many people believe should be the standard mantra of a climbers identity these days. You know, make a route safer for everyone, so put more bolts in it. Convience anchors at the top of established climbs to make it easier so people don't have (GASP) walk-off. If you aren't able to find out who the owners are and ask permission (not a hard thing to do), then go somewhere you don't have to do that. But if you know it's private and there are access issues, why make it ever worse with trespassing and pissing off the owners.

If you care to find out who the owners are and how to get in touch with them PM me.

There is so much freakin untouched rock in SD county, you just have to want it a little more to get to it.

cheers
Pat

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook