RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

aka_fred

Oct 7, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Charlotte area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys... long time reader, first time writer...
I just moved from Colorado, phewwy, sorry to those that liked it. I'm finally back in the south and loving it, but I haven't had a chance to get out and climb yet. Getting ancy. I know about InnerPeaks, but haven't had a chance to get to it.

A bit about me, fairly new to climbing. I've got a rope, a basic setup but no pro. I'm going to invest but gotta save those pennies first. I'm looking for someone hopefully in the local area that I can get to know in a gym before we tackle real rock. I'm about a 5.7-8 climber. My last partner wouldn't try harder with me so don't know my full potential.

Anways... It's been a pleasure and hope to get out and see you all on a rock somewhere...

bumblie

Oct 7, 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in Charlotte area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to Charlotte, "fred". The great thing about Charlotte is that we have climbing year-round. On the downside, finding decent partners can be a bit of a choir. If you don't know any climbers, I'd definitely recommend Inner Peaks. Also, head out to Crowders Mountain and hit the popular areas. Back in the day, people were pretty friendly about offering rides on their TRs. Hopefully, it's still that way.

Partner j_ung

Oct 7, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo Fred,
Head into Inner Peaks on a Monday - Thursday night. Partners are cheap and easy. Also, ask the staff about the Inner Peaks User Group. I know a lot of partners who have hooked up that way. And, check out http://www.carolinaclimbers.org. That's another great resource, not necessarily for partners, but for general info on the SE/Carolina climbing scene. Welcome to town!
Jay

bumblie

Oct 7, 2004, 2:13 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more thing Fred. Stay away from that Jay Young. He's a despicable character and should not be trusted in any circumstances.

Except his post above has some pretty good info....

And he's a very competent climber...

And generally a decent guy, if not a little odd.

That said....

Consider yourself warned!!!

Partner j_ung

Oct 7, 2004, 2:19 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One more thing Fred. Stay away from that Jay Young. He's a despicable character and should not be trusted in any circumstances.

Except his post above has some pretty good info....

And he's a very competent climber...

And generally a decent guy, if not a little odd.

That said....

Consider yourself warned!!!

All of this true, Fred. I deny none of it. :wink:

aka_fred

Oct 8, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I consider myself warned. However, if the j_ung dancers support kerry, I might have to support them.

But yeah, I went down to InnerPeaks yesterday and hung out for a little while, and I plan to get out to Crowders tomorrow for the Access Fund gig they're having out there.

Anywho, thanks guys!

ryan112ryan

Oct 26, 2004, 9:10 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys, i used to go to inner peaks about 4 times a week, but now im up here in asheville at UNCA, but anyway, i was wondering how crowders was? went backpacking there one weekend, small place, but i saw some people climbing and have been wanting to head out there and try it out, any good climbs like low 5's that i can setup a top rope easy? thanks

aka_fred

Oct 26, 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't gotten out to climb there so I can't say if it's any good or not, but http://www.crowdersmountain.com/ has a list of the climbs, and it looks like there's several .8's and down.

If you need a partner let me know...

climbercam

Oct 26, 2004, 2:03 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make a friend and go up to Stone Mountain and do The Great Arch. It's easy 5.5 and you probably already have enough gear to do it. It's a great introduction to Stone Mt., Eastern friction climbing, and bold placements once you venture beyond the classic easy routes. As a bonus, it's 80+% interstate with a ridiculously short hike to the base. If no one is on it, try Mercury's lead 5.9. Grand Funk railroad is fun, but the first bolt is a loooonnng way up there. Have Fun. NC, SC, TN, WVa. have some good rock offerings, many at moderate grades including Crowder's as stated above.

ryan112ryan

Oct 26, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i forgot to mention, i don't have or know how to use any trad gear, so i can only build achors with nataural achors

enrcr

Oct 29, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to climb with you. Let's meet at Inner Peaks any weeknight you want after 4:00, I can get you in half price on mondays.
Also interested in beginning to lead climb & belay. Have gear to top-rope about anything at Crowder's or Pilot. Have climbed at Moore's and Linville Gorge. Will camp overnight to climb.
Hope to hear from you.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook