Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

tradmanclimbs

Oct 6, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #76 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ancient Art - Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you were anywere near as tenatious of a climber as you are a typest you would have topped out no problem :roll:

atg200

Oct 6, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #77 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
that was actually pretty funny. nice to see it is possible to have a sense of humor if you are a light duty windbag.

Don't ever call me light duty.

i wasn't referring to you - i was referring to the caged raccoon(that was really funny too).

cologman

Oct 6, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #78 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody out there have a story about "Chip", perhaps it warrants telling. Might bring a more human side to this diatribe.

nthusiastj

Oct 6, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #79 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Re: UPDATED: Ancient Art - Discussion Request [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Iv'e been on this route twice. I would venture to say that it's one of the scariest routes in the US (at the grade). You can fall off of that thing in any direction! The "bolts" arent very inspiring either.

I would have to agree completely. Did you summit?

Yeah, but I was visibly shaking.

ambler

Oct 6, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #80 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Somebody out there have a story about "Chip", perhaps it warrants telling. Might bring a more human side to this diatribe.
No, but half an hour ago I was walking my dog in the woods. He suddenly took off like mad chasing a bear cub. Right after the dog chasing the cub comes mama bear chasing my dog. Yikes, I'm thinking, waiting to hear awful sounds, but the cub runs up a tree and the dog outruns mama, then suddenly it's just me and her. I walk backwards quickly, feeling like I'm on the corkscrew summit with no pro, calling loudly and clapping for my dog as I go. He's taking the Great Circle route home, I hear him barking bravely from a long way away. We both get back to the house safely and I tell my wife "You won't believe what just happened!"

cologman

Oct 6, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #81 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh sh*t!!! That was funny and well timed!

ambler

Oct 6, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #82 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh sh*t!!! That was funny and well timed!
It's even true.

cologman

Oct 6, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #83 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ambler
Maybe you should come West and spend some time climbing Desert Towers, it may be safer! :P

ambler

Oct 6, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #84 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ambler
Maybe you should come West and spend some time climbing Desert Towers, it may be safer! :P
Next desert trip is just a month away. But yeah, it's gonna feel different going out in the dark later tonight! Kinda Blair Witch creepy, though I know the woods well by daylight.

takeme

Oct 7, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #85 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your question is a little bit like asking "wouldn't it be better / safer to clip in before going downstairs to the kitchen?" The answers you're getting range from "just go down to the kitchen, it's really not that big of a deal" to "well, yes, it would be safer but it seems unnecessary at best". You may not like these answers, but you shouldn't have asked if you didn't want the answer.

Goddamn...that's one of the funniest things I've read on this site!

It's right up there with nistrong's "reply to the whole world" post, in fact.

takeme

Oct 7, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #86 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I think running the pitches together might be OK. Except belaying on the ledge is pretty pleasant and the rope might drag without long draws. Also, remember you have to get back so you'd have to downclimb the face below the ledge risking a fall on the OTHER anchors down into the chimney (blech).

It's hard for me to imagine running these pitches together. I've dealt with plenty of drag in my climbing career (on Moses, for example, I ran 3 pitches together at one point), but when you hit that corkscrew summit with the rope changing direction so sharply for the second time, I think moving up would be highly unpleasant--at best.

The second time I climbed Ancient Art, incidentally, we soloed the first 5.easy pitch, then ran the next 3 together (bolt ladder, chimney, bolt ladder) up to the Sidewalk. This was doable, but not necessarily recommended. We then rapped with 2 60 meter ropes from the Sidewalk all the way to scrambling terrain in the middle of the 5.easy pitch.

takeme

Oct 7, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #87 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to think of it...this is also one of the funniest things I've read on this site:

[quote="nistrong"]
In reply to:
Try to use the correct terms - they mean a world of difference.

My bad. I was using the wrong term. I did mean re-bolting as opposed to retro-bolting. I am not interested in adding any bolts to the route. I apologize for using the wrong term.

In reply to:
if you aren't interested in yarding to get past a frightening(to you, not really to anybody else) move, you have no business whining about the gear for that move.

Again, what kind of sense does that statement make?

In reply to:
i'll bet that with a screamer(and most likely without) the bolts on the corkscrew would easily hold falls. i've whipped onto much worse fixed pieces in the desert, and also onto much worse natural gear. moreover, i've seen people whip on to those bolts on several occasions. somehow they lived.

Much worse? And you've seen people whip on that specific bolt? But it's a cake easy move right?

In reply to:
i'm still curious why you think a tower that has been climbed by thousands of people, many of them pretty much at their limit, with never a single accident is such a death route.

No deaths yet and the pro has held so far.

In reply to:
Just cowboy up and do it. Crawl if necessary.

I'm not a cowboy, and I will do it eventually (probably using my alternative). I'm not as worried about the traverse as above it.

In reply to:
As far as rope drag goes: I equalized the anchor at the base of the Cork Screw, then threw an additional sling on there. Made for about a 6foot sling coming off of the anchor. No rope drag, and wouldn't have pendulummed madly in a fall.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but the added drag would come from pulling the rope up the third pitch and over the shoulder. I don't think it would be too bad though. What do you mean about the pendulum though? I was talking about a pendulum while crossing the sidewalk or when getting up on top of the diving board. It probably wouldn't happen, but... The only other way it would happen is if one of the pieces blew above it.

In reply to:
Seems like this "discussion" is over--everyone who disagrees with nistrong is wrong, and he just proved that by......what? Being better at dismissing the views of those with whom he disagrees or doesn't want to hear?

The "views" I dismissed had nothing to do with what I was talking about. They were simple jabs that weren't thought out.

In reply to:
I took a look through your other posts, in one of which you state that you like good pro and do not like exposure. So maybe it's time to admit that Ancient Art might not be the route for you, rather than to suggest things (like retro-bolting) that would make it easier/better/more comfortable for you.

Once again, I meant re-bolting. Aside from that, everyone has things they want to aspire to. I am trying to get a better grip on exposure. I've seen plenty of it, just not on such crap pro. That is the problem. I can overcome the exposure like I've done hundreds of times before if I can get comfortable with the risk. Changing the plan of attack is what I think I need to do to achieve that. If you want to discuss that, then feel free. Otherwise, your BS has been stated over and over.

In reply to:
Nothing wrong with that, but please don't try to take away from my (and many others) experience so that you can feel comfortable getting up the thing. We aren't all destined to climb everything we see.

How am I taking away from your experience exactly? Part of climbing is overcoming personal fears. Sometimes that means doing something that scares you. I my case, I like it to be a controlled risk. Ignoring the consequences of such an attempt is foolish.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 7, 2004, 1:59 AM
Post #88 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another advantage to belaying at the sidewalk is the pictures 8^)

petsfed

Oct 7, 2004, 6:01 AM
Post #89 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait, let me get this straight, you didn't trust the anchor bolts before the sidewalk? I can only give you so much slack before I outright drop you. See because (as everyone's been saying) from the "shoulder" as you call it to the base of the Cork Screw is 2nd class. 3rd class if its windy. And you're sketched to the point of complaining about it on the internet. Suddenly I have a big headache. Realize that sometimes you have to run it out on easy terrain. Sometimes you realize that (precluding some gigantic fuck up on your part) a sidewalk is just a sidewalk, no matter how big the gutter is. But what the hell do I know, I recognized that fact and finished the route.

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer.

takeme

Oct 7, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #90 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wait, let me get this straight, you didn't trust the anchor bolts before the sidewalk? I can only give you so much slack before I outright drop you. See because (as everyone's been saying) from the "shoulder" as you call it to the base of the Cork Screw is 2nd class. 3rd class if its windy. And you're sketched to the point of complaining about it on the internet. Suddenly I have a big headache. Realize that sometimes you have to run it out on easy terrain. Sometimes you realize that (precluding some gigantic f--- up on your part) a sidewalk is just a sidewalk, no matter how big the gutter is. But what the hell do I know, I recognized that fact and finished the route.

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer.

You know, I never thought about this, but there are some arroyos on the hike in that present a dangerous fall potential. It may be prudent to add anchors for belays at these spots.

The question is, will 4 bolts be enough??

tradmanclimbs

Oct 7, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #91 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hellicopter in some steel handrails, make sure it's wide enough to be wheel chair accessible :roll:

shakylegs

Oct 7, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #92 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nistrong: King of giant humongous rebuttal posts that completely shoot down everything that everybody else is saying. :lol: :lol:

Dude, it's questionable, but I'm thinking that maybe since there are so many well respected and highly experienced climbers posting against your thoughts in this thread, you might possibly be wrong. No disrespect meant at all man, but could it be time to take a step back and ease up on the stubbornness? I've bailed from climbs because I was scared out of my mind before too. We all have. It's not a shameful thing to do, although retrobolting certainly is.

Wow, was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it.
Now I have to add the route to my tick list.

glencoe

Oct 7, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #93 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The top is scary---I tied off of the "duck bill" with a super large sling--making me feel that it would hold a fall if the bad bolt pulled.

brianinslc

Oct 7, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #94 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That way at least you wouldn't be risking the whole party, you have more rope out in the case of a pendulum on the traverse, and bolts below that to back it up. We could station a third at the top of the 3rd pitch for pictures, but using separate bolts from the ones the leader would use. The leader would lower to those anchors and rap to the top of the 2nd from there on a second rope. Thoughts?

I thought the anchors at the last station prior to the diving board were pretty bomber.

We climbed it by kinda going to the left and slightly under the diving board...which seemed pretty secure. I almost sorta remember a cam placement under there as well (??) that we back cleaned after clipping the double anchor atop (at) the end of the diving board. Anyhoo, seemed no problemo.

http://mtncommunity.org/dc/user_files/629.jpg

Yeah, you wouldn't want to fall...but...didn't seem too bad to me.

And...I think the fixed angles that are flush to the rock are pretty bomber. Even this one (big ledge prior to the last fixed anchor station) seemed solid:

http://mtncommunity.org/dc/user_files/630.jpg

Yee haaa!

http://mtncommunity.org/...3f9454ca62a2e953.jpg

Brian in SLC

joshklingbeil

Oct 7, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #95 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nistrong remindes me of our good friend Nolan14. :lol:

nistrong

Oct 7, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #96 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, but I was visibly shaking.

I can imagine.

See what I mean, CB?

In reply to:
The top is scary---I tied off of the "duck bill" with a super large sling--making me feel that it would hold a fall if the bad bolt pulled.

Yeah, my buddy did that too. He said to whole thing vibrated like crazy.

In reply to:
We climbed it by kinda going to the left and slightly under the diving board...which seemed pretty secure.

I watch a couple people do this. It looked quite a bit freakier, but maybe easier, eh?

In reply to:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to fall...but...didn't seem too bad to me.

Definitely wouldn't want to fall.

In reply to:
And...I think the fixed angles that are flush to the rock are pretty bomber. Even this one (big ledge prior to the last fixed anchor station) seemed solid:

Is that the piton right above the diving board?

tomclimbs

Oct 7, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #97 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, All I got to say about this is right in Nistrong's signature.

"If you're not flying, you're not trying!"

nuf said

johnhemlock

Oct 7, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #98 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this chat has made me want to go climb the thing for myself. I'm booking a flight to Texas!

on_sight_man

Oct 7, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #99 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All this chat has made me want to go climb the thing for myself. I'm booking a flight to Texas!

That'll make for a fairly long approach

johnhemlock

Oct 7, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #100 of 102 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That'll make for a fairly long approach

I have to pick up Dick Bass and Beck Weathers. Anything this difficult is going to require some millionaires!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook