Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Camera stolen now I've got to get another but which one?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

venomous

Oct 7, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #1 of 3 (994 views)
Shortcut

Camera stolen now I've got to get another but which one?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I bought a Canon Powershot Pro 1 a month and a half ago from Dell with one of their in house financing plans. So about 4 weeks ago my mom wants to borrow it to take it on her trip to Peru so after all she's done for me, why not. Well on her way to the airport to come home in the town of Lima someone busts out the window with a crowbar in the car she was riding in (unmarked taxi) and snatches her shoulder bag which of course had all kinds of gifts, money, cell phone, and MY CAMERA.

So I've got to keep paying the damn bill on something I don't have anymore so I don't have the extra funds right now to buy another Powershot Pro 1. It was a great camera from the little amount I was able to use it and I loved the zoom capabilities. Now I'm thinking about getting the Canon Powershot S1 IS since it has a total zoom of 32x compared to the Pro 1 of 22x. The thing is that the Pro 1 had 8 or 8.3 mp's and the S1 IS has 3.2 mp's.

Now I've still got my 3 year old Kodak DX3600 that is a 2.2 mp, and a total 6x zoom. The kodak takes good quality pics but it lacks the zoom I so desire for those close ups from far away. Does anyone have any experience with the Powershot S1 IS. I'm not a professional but I like to have good pics when I take them and occasionally blow them up to 8x10 or 11x13 for the purdy mountain pics. It's sad to say that my little Kodak digital with only 2.2 mp's and 6x zoom takes good quality pics but once you start cropping with software and zooming in you lose alot of quality so I'm skeered that with the S1 IS fully zoomed to 32x the quality might not be so hot.

Any insight to this camera or other quality cameras with good a good zoom. I'd like something with as much zoom as possible for around $300-$400 as I still owe $1000 on my now stolen Pro 1 that some Peruvian asshole has or sold. This doesn't have to be a slim and compact climbing camera but more of an anywhere/everyday camera. Thanks.

Partner sauron

Oct 7, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #2 of 3 (994 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camera stolen now I've got to get another but which one? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.photo.net/

Read to your hearts content.

- d.

walllizzard

Oct 8, 2004, 8:07 AM
Post #3 of 3 (994 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camera stolen now I've got to get another but which one? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a Canon G5 and love it. I would also recommend any of the S30 or higher series Canons, are great cams with good prices. Panasonic makes some good SLR type dig cams Luminox series and the prices are right. well i haope that helps. you can check out a bunch of reviews at epinions.com too

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook