RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

sully264

Oct 9, 2004, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Team
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My gym (Upper Limits St. Louis) just formed a youth climbing team. 7 to 17 year olds. We practice together and then go to comps together, for moral support i guess.

Any other teams out ther? Is it cool? This is the first year Upper Limits is having a team so its kindof an experiment.

safa2003

Oct 9, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Team [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

several high schools in East Tennessee have high school climbing teams that compete against teams from other local schools.

Partner holdplease2

Oct 9, 2004, 5:10 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing moms may be the the new soccer moms...

As the youth culture of today turns from team-oriented competit5ve regulated sports of the past to the individualistic free-for-all of extreme sports.

...to which we then apply a system of rules, a schedule of practice, scoring systems, and of course, an air of regulated compition.

I wish I had a climbing team instead of a soccer team growing up. Be careful not to let climbing become like soccer.

-Kate.

mgr

Oct 12, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
several high schools in East Tennessee have high school climbing teams that compete against teams from other local schools.

I wish my school had a climbing team. I would be all over that!

madriver

Oct 12, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Be careful not to let climbing become like soccer.

-Kate.

...with the new "Elite Team" coaches becoming a prominate part of USAC climbing...I hope we don't let it get out of control. I see it starting to creep in though....

-Bob

hyongx

Oct 12, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Knoxville TN. My high school has a climbing team. I joined it last year for the first time as a sophmore.
It is really awesome, and I have really gotten into it.
Its been one of the best things for me, simply because its gotten me to be athletic: before i barely did anything.
But the trouble is, it was really intimidating coming into the team as a newbie, because there is very little structure. "Practices" are just times when people show up at the gym to climb, and it always revolves around their personal schedule. And the competitions are really fun, but also very intimidating at first because there is so little obvious organization- its sort of below the surface. What needs to happen happens, but no more.

mgr

Oct 13, 2004, 2:09 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyongx, does your school compete against other schools? Do you know how the school's team started?

Partner phaedrus

Oct 13, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I coach a climbing program where I work... we're in our third year. We participate in the Denver Climbing League (8 schools last year participated on the team level) as well as various ABS comps, etc.

Click on the link in my sig for more info on us and what we do. :)

johnson6102002

Oct 13, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike you would have trouble with having a climbing team bc ur the only climber in your school!!! kinda like me

mgr

Oct 13, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mike you would have trouble with having a climbing team bc ur the only climber in your school!!! kinda like me

Yeah, but then I would be the best climber in my school. :wink:

hyongx

Oct 14, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hyongx, does your school compete against other schools? Do you know how the school's team started?

Yes: My school competes against a lot of schools. For example, last competition there were four other schools present and competing. Each competition will generally have four or fewer school present, depending on how large each school is. The larger schools sometimes have more than one team. A team is defined as a maximum of fifteen people, and girls teams and boys teams are seperate. The routes climbed are different for gender, too.
The gym usually hosts two competitions a week: one on tuesday and one on saturday. Each school usually winds up competing about once a month. That means that there are a lot of schools with teams. Im not sure on the exact numbers, or how active each school is, or that sort of thing, but the competitions are generally arranged so that each school encounters a variety of other schools, not the same four over and over.
The gym has designated "high school practice" times, weekdays tuesday through friday 3-8pm. Members of a high school team get a special discount, but the the regulars get a season pass. I climb once a week, because the gym is so far away, and theres usually a good number of people there. sometimes its quite crowded.

However, no. I dont know how the team got started. Our school requires we have a "sponsor", that is a teacher willing to be responsible for the club, etc. But other than that, we suffer a great lack of organization.

rockclimbr3

Oct 30, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm on the Upper Limits climbing team here in Bloomington, IL. Are you guys/girls coming up here for the comp. Nov. 23rd. It's gonna be sweet. Can't wait. If u r coming here what division are you going to be in. Maybe we'll get a chance to see who's better.lol.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook