Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bigevilgrape

Oct 11, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #1 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Rumney III
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess I'm the first back so I get to start the thread eh?
I have a nice lack of words, so Ill go for good climbing, good food, and grant and joules are awesome for letting us crash at their place again.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v368/bigevilgrape/Rumney/

If you want me to send you full sized pictures of any of them (or all of them) you can pm me.

Now it is time for class.

jessicagrace

Oct 11, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #2 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rumney III [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Katie, it was good meeting you.

Partner wideguy

Oct 11, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #3 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OOPS didn't see Katie got up 10 minutes before mine. I'll go delete mine.
Here's my thoughts.

Freakin awsome!!!! Jules and her dad once again set the bar prety high on graciousness and hospitality. The meals were stellar, the company was amazing and the location is hard to beat. Just too much to mention, those who missed it missed something awesome. The weather was as perfect a New England fall weekend as anyone could dare ask for.

I arrived Friday at ~11:00 AM to meet Taino and Mwbtle at the cabin, got my tent setup and headed to rock. Climbed till around 4: and headed back to the house to find Grant with enough pasta to feed an army with both an amazing sauage marinara sauce and an alfredo sauce ( for those wacky vegetarians). The only thing he asked us to do was cut the bread. More folks showed up throughout the night and by morning we were more than 20 (or was it 30?) strong.

Breakfast courtesy of Grant and Grant, scrambled eggs , home fries, bacon, toast ... what a way to head off.

And so it continued all weekend. Personally I climbed well and had a BLAST!! Redpointed a 5.7, my best to date but I'll leave it to the "real" climbers to tell you of their climbing news.

Important lessons I learned, Jake is really light and easy to throw in the river. Wideguy on a slackline is really comical. (Actually everyone but Jules was pretty funny.) A slackline at 9' is too high to fall off happily and too low to make a leash for. Slacklining while inebriated is REALLY hard. (Photos should be forthcoming)

I'm sure there are lessons I'm missing but I'll leave them for others.

Thanks to Jules for making it all happen and to Grant for opening his house and to everyone else for making it so much fun for me. Glad I didn't miss it. Sorry for those who did.

jessicagrace

Oct 11, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #4 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And since you are deleting yours, I will repeat what I said there, here:

Yes, many thanks to Jules and her Dad!

I did not partake, but it was good having a place to crash and the company was awesome!

And yes, drunk Wideguy on slack line is very amusing. Although the most comical part that I witnessed was nurocks getting hit with the slack line (while making a photographic attempt)...I believe it was when Wideguy fell off. Mind you, it wouldn't have been funny if he got hurt, but he's fine.

mwbtle

Oct 11, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #5 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am returned to the real world as well.
In short, I had an amazing time. Tons of cool people, great weather, great food, great climbing.

Thanks to Grant and Jules for the hospitality and both Grants for the great food.

Things I learned:
Don't feed the dog!
Avoid spotting for anyone on the slackline who is bigger than you are.
Beer is a viable weapon.

Thanks to EVERYONE for making it such a cool experience.

nurocks

Oct 11, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #6 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought you were TOO COOL for us on RC.com? hehe Anyway...I have a killer pic of you on the slack line...Once I upload it I might just send it your way...or post it in comunity...hmmm.

Yes rumney did rock, and I second everything chad said in his TR.

Back to work...

nurocks

Oct 11, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #7 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes jessica, I am OK. I am also still suprised that when James, not chad bailed, the line recoiled so much. I was like 5 feet from the end of the line and about 2 feet off to the side...I guess chad now has contention for his handle wideguy now that the Giant Canadian ( I mean that in the nicest /don't hurt me sort of way) James is on the scene.

jessicagrace

Oct 11, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #8 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah yes, I could only remember that it was one of the big guys...sorry Chad.

I know you are ok, I wouldn't have been laughing my butt off otherwise...was the point.

Also, thanks for the first opportunity to switch out gear. And to Derek for letting me practice lead belay. I seem to have it down. I just need to have someone do a controlled fall when I have a back up belayer.

edge

Oct 11, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #9 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must say that I commend all of you of the female persuasion for your restraint in not taking advantage of me whilst I was inebriated. I know how hard you must work normally to keep your hands off of me, but to do so when my guard was admittedly down shows the class that you all posess.

If, of course, any of you did take advantage of me on Saturday night I apologize for not remembering, and would appreciate a thank you pm and some digital pix.

(Oh gawd, I hope I don't hear from Shippy....)

jessicagrace

Oct 11, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #10 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D

qqclimber

Oct 11, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #11 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(Oh gawd, I hope I don't hear from Shippy....)

LOL, Edge How's the ankle after climbing on it for a day?

I just wanted to add my $.02

Had a GREAT time this weekend. Jules & Grant (and Grant, too) did an amazing job hosting/cooking etc.

It was great to see some from last year and to meet so many new people.

The weather couldn't have been better, and everyone was climbing awesome.

Partner jules

Oct 11, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #12 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am hurtin'.

Anyone know who belongs to the two brown sleeping bags? If you lost anything, PM me...

Partner wideguy

Oct 11, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #13 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am hurtin'....

Seemed to me you passed hurting at a sprint by Sunday morning. I would have had you pegged for half past dead by now. :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, other lessons learned. Edge slacklines better drunk, and even better when it's 9' up. His successful 4 running steps across the line are forever burned in my memory. I'm just thankful he went off the side I wasn't spotting on.

Oh and Jason? "Giant Canadian.." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't care if he kicks your ass, that's damn funny.

jakedatc

Oct 12, 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #14 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA... No matter how light i am it took 5-12 of you guys to get me in and tossed Edge all my self dammit..!!111

Holy crap. how do you write 5 days of stuff in one TR... so i'm not going to try.. lol
good times.. good people.. craziness was had by all.

thanks of course to jules, grant, grant etc

I hope Tai and Edge are ok with their foot injuries.. Slacklines are not for the intoxicated.. and The Terrace at 5.8 crag should be done with caution.. 2nd person to deck on that ledge in 2 straight weeks.

chad you shoulda seen her this morning :shock:

cragjumper

Oct 12, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #15 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks, it was great meeting you all and to finally have some faces to the names! wish I could have stayed longer and had the chance to say my goodbyes, but thanks again to Jules and Dad for the excellent hospitality! I look forward to hanging out with you guys and hopefully climbing with you all in the future!

darkside

Oct 12, 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #16 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am hurtin'.
:lol: If it wasn't for being way beyond hurting myself, that would be an understatement.

Anyway, let's recap -
A pleasant 10+ hour drive sees me and Chris in NH. :)
Wednesday evening I open up the cabin for the second year running.
Thursday Jules shows off the secret wormhole in the "space-time continuum". :roll:
Friday brings a demonstration of how not to drive through trees courtesy of BEG. :P Then the meadows sees an awesome big bro placement and the madness continues to grow ever better. Mel looks styling on lead. :righton:
Saturday sees me on a neat 2-pitch with Cathy which James goes on to lead without using the two pins above the belay..... get back on route you fool. :P I get to climb Wimpy Gilman Ridge with Chad- Chad ropeguns it for me :wink:
Sunday - wow was it busy. Even up in the Crows nest. Rumours abound of darkside clipping more blts than gear placements. It is confirmed though that it is only a rumour and has no truth to it. :nono:
Meanwhile back at camp:
Firepits, BBQ's, beer, slacklines, red bull, small intimate breakfasts, late nights, early mornings, unneccesary injuries/aches/pains, lakeside bathing, and much more are all on the menu making for a great gathering.

Onto Monday night:
After attempting to use a space-time short cut I conclude that either Jules's wormhole is busted or she failed to provide proper instructions for use. It takes me 12 hours to get home. I start to make this post but abandon it as my eyes lose the battle against the eyelids. So Tuesday morning and I have to start the bacon again. :twisted: Memories of a real live coffee shop.

Partner wideguy

Oct 12, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #17 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I get to climb Wimpy Gilman Ridge with Chad- Chad ropeguns it for me :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: and Grant cleans it barefoot thus confirming that I was indeed the biggest gumby of the group 8^)

But hey, it was an onsite, as was Dirtigo, so there!

Oh and I managed to break a foothold off a route that had been up for less than a day, called Mowgli Grape. Wideguy strikes again!! 8^)

edge

Oct 12, 2004, 2:26 PM
Post #18 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was really great to meet everyone; I can't think of when I have ever been able to put so many faces to names in one day. Most people who met me kept saying that I wasn't anything like they expected. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing...

The climbing was great, and I got to belay Jules on her first ever 5.11 flash after she watched Meg send Debby Does CPR. Congrats Jules!!! She nearly pulled off a second one too right after that on Sunday.

Meg now has two more 11's that are ready to fall next trip; Arm and Hammer and Bullwinkle Craters. I would have liked to try Bullwinkle Craters myself, but it involved a bit of heel work, and that wasn't going to happen. The foot feels better today, sore just in the bottom of the heel with some pretty coloring on the outside. I was able to pull on climbing shoes, but just did a couple laps on a fun 5.6 and belayed for the rope guns.

Thanks to Jules and Grant for the hospitality and to Darkside for cooking the breakfast. Everyone else, thanks for the night's entertainment and for the spot on the slackline!

empicard

Oct 12, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #19 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHATSUP?!
I'm happy to say that my first post on rc.com is to say what a damn good time i had this weekend at rumney, and at the Conley house in particular. i've never experienced such hospitality before. thank you very much for hosting us.
it was nice to meet all of you, even though i dont remember who was who at this point already.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa

8^)

Partner wideguy

Oct 12, 2004, 3:23 PM
Post #20 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
even though i dont remember who was who at this point already.
8^)

And since you didn't post your name anywhere we don't know who YOU are either!! :lol:

But I'm sure it was nice to meeet you.

empicard

Oct 12, 2004, 3:39 PM
Post #21 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am Evan, the jalapeņo eating, airpump using drunkard who cant slackline for a damn.

Partner sauron

Oct 12, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #22 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jalapeņos good.

- d, been in Tx too long.

the_pirate

Oct 12, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #23 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gathering was as good, if not better than expected. Joules (you are now officially a unit of energy), thank you and your family for the incredible hospitality. Great seeing old friends again as well as meeting new onws and putting faces with some imaginary friends. I will definately be back for the next one.

Traumatic memories of tiny red peppers and Edge's ass plummeting toward my head from 9 feet up. Wideguy may appear to be a slow moving, lethargic drunk, but he can turn a defensive maneuver on the offensive in a heartbeat. Otherwise known as how to empty a truck bed in three easy steps. I can't wait to hear James' reaction when he watches the entire tape. Evan, glad to see you've been brought into the fold of imaginary world.

Each night got progressively harder. Two hours later than the previous night and a whole lot drunker. Funny that the same people that closed the joint at night were the first ones up in the morning. There's a time and place for getting your beauty sleep, and a weekend long party ain't it. Drove home with one eye open and just managed to get the car unloaded and a sandwich in my belly before collapsing on the couch.

Oh ya, and there was climbing too. (Thanks for the rope gunning, Jake. I was psyched to have a go at Waimea).

edge

Oct 12, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #24 of 62 (7377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Drove home with one eye open and just managed to get the car unloaded and a sandwich in my belly before collapsing on the couch.

This is where having a non-drinking 16 year old comes in handy. Not only did she lead all of the routes this weekend for me, but she drove me there and back.

I just had to make her promise not to relay any of my antics to her mom.

Partner taino

Oct 12, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #25 of 62 (6856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i am Evan, the jalapeņo eating, airpump using drunkard who cant slackline for a damn.

AHA.

I thought you looked familiar - you've got that picture on Gunks.com.

I'm trying to write a TR, but work, sadly, demands attention. Jerks. I'll try to get to it - and all the pictures - today or tomorrow.

T

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook