Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

asandh

Oct 11, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #51 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Re: San Diego: Rainbow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:)

esoteric1

Oct 11, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #52 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks roughster, ive been wondering how to do that for years, i appriciate the info! otherwise, i think we are beating a dead horse here....
anybody have some scribbles on el cap in lakeside? I was up there when the area saw its first few routes and took that season to my head, only to return to hear 60+ routes have been established.

briankmulvey

Oct 11, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #53 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roughster,

In regards to your Point #1:

The word “easement” was used loosely, and should have been "private access road" so as not to cause legal confusion (I just fixed the original submission). Apolobamba is correct: the access is private, granted to the climbing landowners by the non-climber landowners. All the land is private; none of it is public. There is no public easement. Hence the locked gate and “No Trespassing” signs.

Point #2:

The answer to the Point’s first question is quite simply, “Yes.” The owners checked all maps when purchasing the 42 acres that encompass the boulders at Rainbow Stones. The purchase was very specific.

Brian K. Mulvey

davehatchett

Oct 11, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #54 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greetings from one of the OWNERS OF RAINBOW. Three pages of rhetoric is way too much and the spray must stop here. First and most importantly let me clarify why we have not opened up our land for everyone to climb on. Rainbow is surrounded by other private parcels and we have permission from the owners to access our land via their roads and land. They do not want trains of cars and people passing through their land. Also, regardless of any legal easement issues, we own 42 acres encompassing all of Rainbow Stones. All surrounding land is also private. Before our purchase we were shot at and nearly killed by an irate property owner from an adjacent parcel just for climbing there, so I suggest caution with these hillbillies. There are also liabilty issues, such as someone suing me for getting hurt. Most people of character wouldn't do this, but I can't take that chance. After all, suing is the American way. Here's a selfish reason: I like having my own uncrowded bouldering area. Wouldn't you? Have you pulled on Midnight Lightning lately? Years of greasy sweat and boot rubber have deteriorated this problem to an appalling level and I don't want to see the same thing happen at Rainbow. I have never denied anyone I have met a tour of Rainbow. Regarding the Hodges issue, I have not been there in 15 years and the last time I was there someone stole our tailgate (must have been the aggro climbing locals). If someone did have a bad experience with one of the Rainbow boys there, I'm sure they regret it and I think it's time to move on. My partners are great people and if you got to know them you would agree. I am truly sorry for the climbers who will not experience our playground; it's just not in the cards. But remember: if not for our purchase it's quite possible that nobody--not even us--would still be climbing there. But be realistic--next time you pull up to the Happys and see 30 cars in the parking lot, think about what you would do if you owned your own Private Idaho.
With all due respect,
Dave Hatchett, partial owner, Rainbow Stones

slhappy

Oct 11, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #55 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for clearing that up Dave.

When I lived in SD I had the pleasure of climbing in your own private Idaho with George. Super spot. You own it, you do as you wish with it.

As said before and said again...san diego is abundant with good rock, you just got to work for it and be willing to invest much sweat and blood only to discover a water polished ball with one heinous seam. Or you could hit the motherload.

bigstiffy

Oct 11, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #56 of 56 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dave

LTNS. Hope all is well and that you, Mike and Kevi. Good to hear you're still out there having fun

cheers
Pat

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook