Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mcarranza

Oct 14, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

What is the best option for a Soft Shell Jackets,Liners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to buy a soft shell jacket or a pullover for this winter please if you know a good option, please inform me , some body recomend me the Cold Fusion model of BEYOND.

Manuel Carranza

elwood86

Oct 14, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is the best option for a Soft Shell Jackets,Liners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After doing alot of research I bought the Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket. Have worn it for one season and love it.

climb513a

Oct 14, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a GammaMX (ArcTeryx) and it is awesome. Mostly used it for backpacking in S. Utah last winter. Awesome for active dry-climate activities. I didnt maintain the DWR coating very well - which is a must for wet humid winter climates. Durable - just color fades after a year of wearing this jacket nearly every day in the wilderness (wilderness guide). Vents great thru the fabric - very breathable, yet - able to block a gust for the most part due to the microweave fabric. Very abrasion resistant. Not very warm - it is not an insulating layer - it is a mid layer or an outer layer for activities. I bought mine snug and like it that way - works wonders under a hardshell - wicks and abosorbs and warms. See the gear reviews of the softshell type garments on rockclimbing.com

Good luck -

Patrick
(climb513a)
climb513a@earthlink.net

Partner drrock

Oct 14, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit

rckfreek

Oct 14, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had my Patigonia Core softshell for 2 years now and love it to death. The big question that you have to answer is how warm you want it. There are many out there that have little to no insulation....mine acutaly has the regualator r1(i think thats the name) fleece linner which i have found perfect for my usses. One great/odd thing this jacket has is a removable crotch strap. This seems akward yet for climbing it keeps the jacket down and keeps that back nice and toasty. It is also great for skiing because it keeps the snow out much better. I work at an outdoor shop here in Boise and have looked at many options for me this is the best one.

Climb Hard

Rock Freek

dontmaytagme

Oct 14, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the Marmot Quantum.. abso-f******-lutely in love with it. As a matter of fact, I am still very saddened that i can no longer use the Marmot Stretch Armstrong, though, the Quantum is filling its spot nicely.

petsfed

Oct 14, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #7 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Things I've learned:
1) Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, and Arcteryx are all very expensive. They are also very good.
2) Patagonia likes to focus on style, sometimes over substance.
3) Marmot makes excellent clothing. They also seem to want to be a french company, judging by their color options.
4) Mountain Hardware clothing is bombproof and heavy.
5) Arcteryx will never yield its committment to customers to produce the most expensive equipment possible. $300 on sale seems like a mighty bargain when we're talking about Arcteryx.
6) Patagonia is good at making things stupid light. I have carabiners that weight more than some of their outerwear.

To whit:
I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the MH Alchemy, the Patagonia Core Shell, the vast majority of the Arcteryx soft shells, as well as most of the Marmot soft shells. I own a Patagonia soft shell. Stretch Alpinist maybe? I don't really recall, they don't make it anymore. The Mix Master was supposed to replace it. I love it. Its an excellent coat. My only complaint is that the elastic along the waist blew out pretty early on, so I had to repair it. Haven't had another problem with it. I am NOT impressed with the quality exhibited in REI Mistral soft shells. I have had to restitch the seam running up the ass of the pants twice now, and I'm already expecting the third. Not impressed.

jklinke

Oct 14, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #8 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Arcteryx Sigma AR. Works great from hiking, snowboarding to Sierra climbing. Got it on sale at Mountain Gear for $140 (retail is close to $300 I believe). Had it for two years now and can only recommend it.

walllizzard

Oct 14, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #9 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the EMS Apollo, decent technical jacket, from last year which is made of Scholler WB-400, this is a great cool to cold weather jacket, sells for around $180 and ther are a bunch of sales coming around, 20% of anythign in the store on OCT 22-24. The Apollo is a great jacket used it all year with no complaints, from 40' days to 18' with layers underneath and was comfortable while bouldering. I also have the EMS Alterra this years model made from Schoeller Soft Shell (I beleive its in the same family as their Dynamic series only marketed differently). This is a light weight, mild- cooler temps or be worn as a layer. This is a no frills jacket, made of good materials and is slim fitting. I havent had very long so im still testing it out. Well i hope this helps, but most of all go out and try the Jackest out, see what fits you best. You really cant go wrong with Schoeller fabrics and Polartec Power shield is pretty good but I prefer Schoeller.

hemp22

Oct 14, 2004, 9:04 PM
Post #10 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The custom fit jackets from Beyond Fleece are excellent. I have one of their cold fusion jackets and I love it.
The custom fit does a lot for comfort, as well as warmth.
Plus you can choose the accessories/options that you want (i.e. pocket locations, hood, pit zips, etc) to get best jacket suited for your needs.

bbecker

Oct 15, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #11 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Soft shell jackets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im looking to get a soft shell jacket and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Im looking for one with good water resistance and warmth, but is not too bulky so I can climb with it.

Thanks!

soccer_fan

Oct 15, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #12 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Re: Soft shell jackets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it depends how much you want to spend; I got a Patagonia Core Skin jacket on sale and have been very happy with it. If I had the cash I probably would have gotten the Arc'teryx Gamma MX hoodie... I've heard better things about Schoeller stuff than anything else, and Beyond Fleece has some good stuff that you can get custom to you that's pretty affordable.

tchamber

Oct 15, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #13 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Schoeller makes the REI Mistral on sale for 100 now... not a bad buy... I think it goes off sale 10/17

msiddens

Oct 15, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still think Cloudveil makes one of the best out there in the Serendipity. Selling them on sale at Sierra Trading Post too at last look.

killclimbz

Oct 15, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ibex Neve jacket is a winner. Comes with pit zips, great fit, not too bulky.

powrslave

Oct 17, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #16 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Columbia Ice Fall Soft Shell can be had for 100 - 120 if you look around. I would compare it to the mountain hardware alchemy which is, in my opinion, the best soft shell. Problem is that it is $240. It is for this reason that I got the Ice Fall from Columbia.

Most Columbia stuff sucks, but this soft shell owns all. It's actually pretty water resistant.

REI Mistral is too lightweight to be an effective soft shell, depending on what you want it for.

jefffski

Oct 18, 2004, 2:39 AM
Post #17 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are any of these waterproof-say for coast ski touring?

ipear

Oct 18, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #18 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pardon the retarded question, but what's the difference between a hard shell and a soft shell? I have a Marmot Wildcat with their Membrain technology. Does this constitute hard or soft shell?

shrubby

Oct 18, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #19 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a arcteryx javelin AR. i like it a lot and got it mega cheap off of www.sierratradingpost.com you can find some solid deals on there on clothing

Partner tattooed_climber

Oct 18, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #20 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, this should be in the GEAR HEADS forum

and second of all, there are like 5 or more threads already started in the Gear Heads Forum that if you did a search, you'd find they'd answer it..

and if you did do a search, you'd noticed that i'd recommend to you an Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Hoody.......you dumb dumb idiot :lol:

i'll very bias for arc'teryx, their stuff is the sh*t....just go around to gear shops and ask the workers there, they will help you find what you need/want/require.....well, they should at least.....just shop around and do you're homework....search out some web sites by the companies (Arc'Teryx) as well check out the the Gear Database here at RC.com...Gear Database...it should have some softshells in there

hard shells are waterproof/wind proof OUTER layer of your clothing system....

softshells are a mid layer but have evolved into something that is suitable for an outer (water -RESISTANT, wind proof, etc etc etc etc etc etc).

mrmojorisin

Oct 18, 2004, 3:09 AM
Post #21 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an Arcteryx Gamma SV soft shell jacket and it is one of the best pieces of clothing that I have ever purchased. You just can't beat the quality that that company puts into the construction of their products. Its great for climbing because its form fitting and stretches well and doesn’t inhibit your movement. I highly recommend this jacket.

scott_davidson

Oct 18, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #22 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Cloudveil Schoeller, much more water resistant than my Patagonia softshell. nice and stretchy and wind resistant, wish it had a hood though.
-Scott

Partner tyify

Oct 18, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #23 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Tyify moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tyify moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

farva

Oct 18, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #24 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If cost is an issue, then checkout the MEC Ferreta Scholler softshell jacket. It's clean, light, & has only what you need, nothing more. It costs alot less too. Checkout www.mec.ca

slobmonster

Oct 18, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #25 of 32 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm selling one, if you want it let me know
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=73473
http://www.ems.com/...192437_black_400.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook