RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

Partner f_thomas

Oct 15, 2004, 3:18 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Self Intro and Lessons Along the Way
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Allow me to introduce myself, Fred Thomas. I'm 51 and returning to climbing after many years of abscence. I spent a few years flying helicopters in Washington state as a rescue pilot, with a fair share of mountain rescue work. My climbing experience was initially derived from the Mountain Rescue Associations in Washington as part of training our crews so we too didin't become a victim while participating in a victim recovery. Those that have and do participate as volunteers and/or paid members of Search and Rescue - Mountain Rescue have my utmost respect not only for their skill, but more importantly their selfless effort put forth in order to save someone who has gotten themselves there in the first place.

As one of my medics shared: "Sir, I know why they climb now. They go to the top to listen to the wind whislte through the holes in their head." Sometimes I have to agree!

I've made it to 5.7 - 5.8 in the last year, picked up gear along the way and made a commitement to maximize my enjoyment regardless of grade while ensuring that I was on top of my game - mentally, physically, and technique.

I ran across The Warrior's Way as a result of this web site and purchased the book and began reading. What has amazed me is the applicability to life in general and how much, if not most, does not conflict, but in fact, contributes to my walk as a Christian.

This past few months I have experienced a number of life's challenges in the realm of health. I've lost 40 pounds, got in the best shape I've been in life and yet been faced with:

Diagnosis of 14 Brain Leisions
Picked up a serious infection to the right foot while helping the mother in law out in Florida after Hurricane Charlie
Just got a cast off the right foot after the infection set into the bone causing osteomilytis.

My faith coupled with reading the book, now for the third time, and following the posts has been an encouragement and more importantly enlightened me as to how I might better handle the challenges faced in life and while climbing. Following Christ is all about loosing self!

I look forward to continuing the process, participating in this forum and hopefully having the honor of meeting all of you in person some time in the near future. If you find yourself in S. Ca, please let me know and feel free to give me a call at: 949-510-2944 or FAX: 949-203-6242. We are more than happy to put you up for a couple of days in the downstairs hostel and who knows, we might even have the chance to share an adventure.

Fred Thomas

unabonger

Oct 22, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Re: Self Intro and Lessons Along the Way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome Fred. I'm not a believer like you, but many who are have acheived levels of mysticism that I think are the logical result of refining principles discussed here. I look forward to your input.

It sounds like you've certainly faced your share of hardships and imagine the topics here can help.

"For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business."

UB

andy_reagan

Nov 4, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is where I really think the Warrior's Way strikes home on a practical level. You could very easily use the hardships and triumphs of your own life as a whole to symbolize on a macro level the triumphs and hardships you experience as a climber. With an emphasis on learning these hardships become the stuff that define you as a person and a climber.

Welcome to The Way and this forum! 8^)

fracture

Nov 5, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #4 of 4 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What has amazed me is the applicability to life in general and how much, if not most, does not conflict, but in fact, contributes to my walk as a Christian.

Omfg.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook