RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

themeanieokc

Oct 20, 2004, 4:31 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

climbing competitions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, there is a climbing competitions coming up at a location close to my own. The question me and my partner are kicking around is: "Is it worth it to try to participate in [said]?" My concern is that it will not be any fun, because competition ruins most activities. Does anyone enjoy competing in these events? Or does it just matter which events you choose? I guess there are probably jerks and hard-asses at everyone, or are people generally cool? Don't know anything about this side of climbing, so a little insight from others is interesting. Give it up!

texasclimber

Oct 20, 2004, 4:44 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been in a couple back in college. They were fun, but mostly b/c all my friends were in it and we just had a good time playing on the new routes/problems. If I were you, try it out but don't take yourself too serious. Plus, we always got goodies after (I won a $300 pack!).

salamanizer

Oct 20, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, why are you even asking this question? Competitions are fun to some and not to others. Some people love to compete at these events while others obviously don't. I think what you're really getting down to is weather or not people are complete asses at these events and are going to make you feel like a bunch of wooses who can't climb crap. Answer, "No" their not, people at theese events in my experience are kind hearted and encourageing as most climbers are. They are like beta meets, if you're not the best in the world, no one cares, you'll get plenty of advice from more experienced climbers and if you happen to blow everyone away, less experienced climbers will want your advice. Besides, if you're not already known, chances are no one is going to be watching you anyway. Go, and have fun!!!

Partner tyify

Oct 20, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

tyify moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tyify moved this thread from General to Competition Climbing.

themeanieokc

Oct 20, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, why are you even asking this question? Competitions are fun to some and not to others. Some people love to compete at these events while others obviously don't. I think what you're really getting down to is weather or not people are complete asses at these events and are going to make you feel like a bunch of wooses who can't climb crap. Answer, "No" their not, people at theese events in my experience are kind hearted and encourageing as most climbers are. They are like beta meets, if you're not the best in the world, no one cares, you'll get plenty of advice from more experienced climbers and if you happen to blow everyone away, less experienced climbers will want your advice. Besides, if you're not already known, chances are no one is going to be watching you anyway. Go, and have fun!!!

Hmm....I got one response from a reasonable source that claimed many people were not too cool at comps. Just want to compare with people all over the country/world if possible. You are right, some people like things and others do not. I want to see if people come out to "cut-throats" or to have fun, for the most part. So, i am asking the question because i think there are many viewpoints and i would like to hear some more of them.

salamanizer

Oct 20, 2004, 7:00 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people are out to have fun. I've ran into a couple who want blood and get really insecure when someone is better than them, but for the most part people are there to have fun. I understand your question, just dont understand why you really care. If you go with the mind set that your going to have fun, you'll have fun. If you go peering over your shoulder wondering who's going to scrutinize you its going to suck. Just go and have fun. Make the judgement for yourself. I train hard, try hard and loose big, its great. If you stop and really ask yourself your question takeing in all the things you know and all the experiences you've had with people, you'll find you probably already know the answer. People are people, no matter where you go.

Partner phaedrus

Oct 22, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It totally depends on why you are there.

Me... I compete for two reasons:

1. Free beer.
2. Free schwag.

:D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook