RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mrhardgrit

May 27, 2002, 11:59 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge Fly
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pete (& anybody else)

I know that you put in the basics about how to make a portaledge fly in another thread... But I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by a "honkin' great tarp." What exactly is a tarp made out of (other than the obvious tarpaulin - which seems odd as tarpauline to me is EXTREMELY thick and would weigh an absolute ton!) is the stuff you are thinking about like heavy duty tent material - or what? Where on earth do i get hold of stuff like that?

The other stuff you explained is all pretty clear though...

Tom

psych

May 27, 2002, 3:25 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge Fly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Now I have no idea what the material actually is, so can't help much, but I have a tarp that is made out of a very lightweight material, water resistant, thin and very durable. The 12'x12' tarp (or however big it is) weighs practically nothing. And it's very orange. :-)

Unfortunately it's not handy so I have no what it's made from, but I figured it was the standard for tarps? Or maybe this material is actually way too heavy for big wall stuff... :-)

Mike...
--That was about 1 cent worth of info...

mrhardgrit

May 29, 2002, 7:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you get your tarp from? What type of shop was it? Or did it just come from the old pile in the back of your garage...?

psych

May 31, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was the 'old pile in the back of the garage' shop... :-) Also knows as "the parents stash". I'll see if I can find out what kinda material it is for ya...
Mike...

clmbnski

Jun 3, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive made some camping equipment and used 1.1oz silicon impregnated ripstop nylon. It is very strong and weighs nothing although it can get punctured very easy. It is waterproof and strong when I comes to things like wind. the downside is that I would be worried that on a portaledge the rock might abraid it, but it would be a good experiment. check out Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics www.owfinc.com
or seattlefabrics.com

mrhardgrit

Jun 14, 2002, 10:25 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just succeeded in making a fairly decent portaledge fly....

I bought a large two man tent, took the waterproof fly, cut it to sharp, put in a few darts (sewing term, not the metal things you throw!), a bit of elastic, a few tie down tapes and adapted the tent poles ... and bingo... a pretty fuctional (and cheap) fly!

If you're thinking of doing the same (and like me very poor...) make sure the fly is considerably larger than the ledge as the angle and hence distance of the ledge from the tie-in point will differ if you are free hanging or against a wall...

Tom

passthepitonspete

Jun 27, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aha! I knew it, with a name like Mr. Hard Grit, and not knowing what a plastic tarp was, you had to be a Brit!

I was going to say "welcome aboard," but I see you've been here a while. In that case, I'll say "please post more often."

Your portaledge fly is your life in a big storm on a big wall.

Be sure to test the thing hanging on the side of your house, and hand the garden hose to a friend with a good sense of humour.

Don't forget a synthetic (not down!) sleeping bag, a bivi sack, and of course a big wall sponge!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook