RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

martien

Oct 21, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Skiiing BC - where ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi !

I'm thinking about going skiiing in the Canadien Rockies in December. I've heart a lot about Jasper and Whistler -- but they seem to be pretty expensive. So I'm also thinking about Big White, Silver Star, Fernie or Kimberley... But I just don't know what to do....

Does anybody of you know one or more of these ressorts and can give some advise? I would also appreciate other insider-tips! Is there a good web site with some discussion forums -- like rockclimbing.com but for ski? ;-)

Thank you very much!

Martien

climbingbum

Oct 21, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Re: Skiiing BC - where ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the low down on the area, in order;

-Whistler if you can afford it.
-Kicking horse in golden has some of the steepest, funnest terrain around.
-If you tour, revelstoke has the best skiing in canada. (rogers pass is smack dab in the middle between Revi and golden. 45 min from either)
-Fernie rocks
-Jasper skiing is like skiing in the east. The ice however is the best around.
-not sure about the hills around the okanagon

slavetogravity

Oct 21, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
-If you tour, revelstoke has the best skiing in canada. (rogers pass is smack dab in the middle between Revi and golden. 45 min from either)
I would agree, but being the best it's also one of most crowded ski touring destination. Try looking into the west Kootenays. Red Mountain, White Water, these ski resorts are cheep and offer the best (out of bounds) terrain in Canada. Silver Star is also cheap if you stay in Vernon and drive the 20min to the resort. Big White has better terrain but worse weather then Silver Star, and the drive to Big White from Kelowna takes about 1 hour.

Partner macherry

Oct 21, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

avoid kimberley or silver star...........conditions aren't the greatest and the terrain is more family oriented.

I live in rossland....red mountain. Great place to ski and relatively cheap to live. pm me for more details.

Fernie is good and so is panorama.

Big White is nicknamed Big Whiteout.....for a reason.......variable conditions

try the website: www.biglines.com..........it has info on the resorts in question and a forum room for discussion!

climbhoser

Oct 21, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, you're looking for tips on doing it cheap, eh? Well, I'll give away my little secret, but if it stops working then it's ALL YOUR FAULT FOR NOT DOINT THIS PROPERLY!!!

What you do is go out drinking, get up a little late and then around ten or elevn in the morning start hanging out at the base (I did it in Whistler). You watch for people coming off of the hill. A lot of times people will buy a five day pass to save money and then be burnt to a crisp on the last day, so they'll come off after a couple of runs. Approach these people looking pitiful, yet earnest, and ask them if they would sell you their ticket for ten dollars (Canadian, of course, never American!). This worked for me every single day that I tried it, and I got to ski in the best resort in North America, hands down, for an entire week. To boot, there's endless pow, so don't worry about not getting early morning freshies, and because I was only skiing half days I lasted all seven days!

It's a good trick, especially if you like beer:) My other advice is go to Revelstoke OR Fernie and tour. Fernie's backcountry isn't anything to snub your nose at, either.

peas

martien

Oct 21, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Fernie - Kimberley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fernie or Kimberley sounds great!

Is it just one town? Where is it better to stay?

vanclimber

Oct 21, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately check out Big White and Sun Peaks. If you can catch Big White on a clear day, it is an amazing mountain to ride. Sun Peaks is also great fun with lots of variety.

Don

kman

Oct 21, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sun Peaks is good. But don't go in December. If you like serious terrain then you will find Sun Peaks pretty mellow. Whistler will have plenty of snow in December and there is a Sh!t load of skiing to be had there. Tons and tons and tons of variety. Big White is good.

climbingnomad

Oct 22, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have skiied Big White and Whistler....
Yes the top of Big White is bad...I mean total white out, but the majority of the runs were awesome and the night life kicked butt when I was there.
Whistler, go to say you have been and then get out before you feel the need to shop...I mean who puts 5th Avenue shops at the bottom of a ski hill...I don't get it.

kid

Oct 22, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are skiing in december in BC don't waist time skiing the rocks at the lower elevation ski areas. The low elevation back country can be sketchy with obsticals at that time of the year. If back country is your thing head the the asulkan hut outside of Golden. If you happen to be there durring a good year you and get dumped on with 30cm or more you have options at Kicking Horse and the pass. If the snow is slim the asulkan glacier will be good at the seven steps to paradise. Know before you go and carry all your avalanche gear. Conditions can be dangerous with a cold period of dry artic cold and large dumps. Hook up with some locals and sleep in your car. Have fun. ~ Greg F

frootloops

Oct 22, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yo check out Sun Peaks Resort Kamloops BC you'll love it sunpeaksresort.com

nostyleclmbr

Oct 22, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't go to whistler, sunpeaks, big white, or any of the other hyped placed. I'm from the area and have skied everywhere people are talking about extensively and Red Mountain is the best hands down. I can not tell you how great the mountain is you need to check it out. Although the town scene leaves a little to be desired the skiing and snow makes up for it. It is incredible. I wish I was there now and not stuck in Maine skiing the riva' and loaf'.

scubasteve

Oct 22, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've done tons of riding at big white(awesome place on a clear day), i've always had fun at silver star as well, some really fun tree runs there.
i hear whistler/blackcomb is awesome, but never been. another place i think might be worth checking out is whitewater by nelson b.c.

kman

Oct 22, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yo check out Sun Peaks Resort Kamloops BC you'll love it sunpeaksresort.com

Like I said before. If you are looking for serious terrain then stay away from here. It's a mellow mountain. Fun though.

Some one said Big White for nightlife. If you want to party it up, go to Whistler. That place is the party capital. Even on a Wed. night in the off season you can find something good.

ryanpete81

Oct 22, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbhoser-you wonder why ski tickets cost so much...its because people like you loiter around the base of the Mt, panhandling for people's tickets after they're done for the day. I skied at Mt. Hood this summer, and there were people like that at the bottom of the Mt everyday, I wanted to lecture them about why my summer pass cost so much (I didn't pay for it, my JOB paid for it). If you can't afford a ticket-hike, if you're to lazy to hike, get a JOB!

PS...whistler is sweet if you don't go during vacation periods, and its cheaper then too

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook