RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mowgli_z

Oct 23, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #1 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

What Cordless Drill is the Best~???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What Cordless Drill is the Best~???

October 22, 2004 = current & older models

I’ve been helping people build routes for years and they all use different cordless hammer drills. So I know about a few different Makes & Models.

I’m going to buy a drill for Sport Routes soon and my question to the world is:

~What is the best all around cordless hammer drill for Limestone & Granite?
~What is the best size drill: Volts & Power vs. Weight & Versatility?

Thanx,
Mowgli

sucio

Oct 23, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #2 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Re: What Cordless Drill is the Best~??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a Hilti 36 volt model TE-6A. It's not cheap and although I'm a climber I have never used it for bolts. I'm a General Contracter and I own plenty of tools , drilll guns, hammer guns etc., this one is great. Go to all tool mags and check out the stats if you want other opinions, trade mags for builders like "Tools of the Trade", "Journal of light Construction" or " Fine Home Building". Compare their articles then go back and look at " Rock and Ice" or "Climbing" magazine for second opinions. I love them all, but if I want tool info I use certain sources, if I want to build a climbing wall, I use the others. Remember weight is more of a factor. Keep your receipt.

Good luck.
Kevin

td

Oct 23, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #3 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going to "build" a route, use at least a one inch diameter Ryobi gas power.
Also recommend a compressor powered 1.5 inch diameter, maybe the Maestri model, but leave the air compressor on the ground.
Any bigger and you may need to build scaffolding to support it.
As always, use proper eye protection.

mowgli_z

Oct 26, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #4 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So that's it~???

I don't mean to troll, but come on. One guy lists the 36volt drill he hasn't even use for drilling Limestone & Granite. And the other guy suggest hiking to the crag with a compresser in my back pack or a 1"inch Gas.

neither people have use them for climbing.

My question is to people who have accually use several models on the rock over the years and know the good from the bad~???

My oringinal question still stands to be answered, please~!!!

Partner climbinginchico

Oct 26, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #5 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe, just maybe they dont want your stoned and drunk ass putting a bolt into your hand. Or theirs. Kinda a route killer when you find blood splotches next to every bolt. Especially when they are 3 feet apart.

Not to mention the fact that they probably wont even be installed properly!

Sorry for the flame but, dude, you had it coming to ya for that whiskey and weed BS.

poop

Oct 28, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #6 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'll be the first to answer this guys question.

I've been bolting for years now and I use to drill with the Bosch, Bulldog and it was OK. but now I use the Bosch, Annihilator and it works much better. I do have a friend that builds routes with the Hilti 36volt, but he spent double what I spent on the annihilator. I bought my annihilator on Ebay for just $200 and it came with 2 drill bits.

I hope this helps~!

:righton:

ganesha

Oct 28, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #7 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine bolts routes with the 36v Hilti and says it is the bomb. He gets plenty of bolts placed off of one charge - enough for a complete route.

I bolt routes with a DeWalt 24v cordless rotary hammer and it works great. I can get about 10-12 bolts off of one battery charge in limestone and around 14-16 in sandstone. However, I am using a 1/2 inch drill bit in sandstone and a 3/4 inch bit in limestone. Never bolted on granite.

Another friend uses the Bosch Annhilator and loves it. I suppose it is just preference. Although more expensive, the Hilti, in my opinion, might be the way to go due to hauling less batteries and getting more out of a charge. Personally, I would shop E-Bay for drills. You can often find them new for fairly cheap. Recently the DeWalt was $350.00 brand new with a battery, charger, and carrying case. Batteries are also sold on E-Bay. Be sure to buy nothing less than 24v or you will be sorry! Hope this helps some!

cfnubbler

Oct 28, 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #8 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bosch Annihilator works great for me. 10-12 3/8" x 2.25" holes from a single charge (with the beefier battery option). I've used it continuously for about 4-5 years and it's holding up well. The battery is slowly losing it's ability to hold a full charge, so I'll probably replace it soon, but I'm satisfied. Never used the Hilti, but I hear that if you have the means, it's the way to go. Pretty pricey, though and the Bosch works great.

-Nubbler

anykineclimb

Oct 28, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #9 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used Hilti and Bosch. I really liked the Annihilator. good power and long lasting.

If you'll be doing a lot of drilling, pick up an extra battery.

photon

Oct 28, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #10 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Hilti TE-6 is the best if you can afford it

brianinslc

Oct 28, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #11 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hilti TE-6A and Bosch Annihilator. Hilti rock and rolls a bit more (faster, more holes per session), but, is more spendy and spare batteries cost a mint.

I've used mine in both granite and limestone (and quartzite and rhyolite) and they work fine in any rock.

I think the Hilti is 36V and the Bosch is 24V. Bosch has an internal clutch that takes some getting used to (but not much) and the battery packs are nice 'cause there's an indicator for battery life. Both charge pretty fast. Both handle nicely. Hilti is a tad heavier. Bosch is a bit lighter especially if you can find a 1.7aH battery pack (saves a pound or more).

-Brian in SLC

jbak

Oct 29, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #12 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hilti TE-6A and Bosch Annihilator. Hilti rock and rolls a bit more (faster, more holes per session), but, is more spendy and spare batteries cost a mint.

I've used mine in both granite and limestone (and quartzite and rhyolite) and they work fine in any rock.

I think the Hilti is 36V and the Bosch is 24V. Bosch has an internal clutch that takes some getting used to (but not much) and the battery packs are nice 'cause there's an indicator for battery life. Both charge pretty fast. Both handle nicely. Hilti is a tad heavier. Bosch is a bit lighter especially if you can find a 1.7aH battery pack (saves a pound or more).

-Brian in SLC

I don't think Bosch is making the Annihilator any more. I got a new high-end Bosch recently. It has no catchy name and I don't remember the model number, but it comes with 2 batteries and goes into granite like butter.

>> Model is 11524 <<

scottlougheed

Oct 29, 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #13 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a link to a good discussion and comparison of several cordless rotary hammer models.

www.minihttpserver.net/sl_tools/ showid/toolbox_cordless_rotary_hammers_ID_204.htm - 25k

noff

Oct 29, 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #14 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mogli-z,

I have a Ryobi gas powered hammer drill for sale. You never have to worry about dead batteries, or a half finished hole. This thing could drill to China if you have enough gas. Like new, runs great, $300.00

Noff

smkyrobinson

Nov 8, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #15 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive owned both the annhilator and the hilti te6a and if money is no issue go hilti, its a way more bomb rig, first off you get double or more the amount of holes per charge, second is how comfortable the hilti is to use, the handle and lack of vibration is very nice, but this is just a tool to thrash putting routes up so i would buy anything 36v or 24v and build your own battery, doing this with the hilti gives you ridiculous power reserves, like leaving your battery at the crag for several trips type power, Cr

guangzhou

Dec 13, 2004, 6:41 AM
Post #16 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you serious about selling your gas poered drill. I think a gas drill would offer several advantages, but I also think that the heat from the motor would be orrendous.

A guy who lives in China

smkyrobinson

Feb 7, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #17 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ryobi is a terrible choice for route bolting, heres a few reasons and I speak from personal expierience, Its heavy, its very loud, they don't run very reliably wich can be a real drag when you just busted a huge aproach hike and your drill takes 100 pulls to start then dies all day, exhaust stinks and the rig gets real hot when it does work. buy a hilti cr.

the_dude

Feb 8, 2005, 8:14 AM
Post #18 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a dewalt 24v and love it. I got it off ebay with 2 packs for around $200. I can get over ten holes in dense granite off one battery pack no problem(3/8"X 3"). But don't listen to me, I think any power drill is rad. After drilling by hand for years, any power drill seems to work like a dream.
Cheers

grigri

Feb 13, 2005, 7:35 PM
Post #19 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have been using the new Makita BHR200FS 24volt. Much cheaper than the Hilti and performs just as well. This drill eats rock! :D Seriously I was very impressed with this drill, the batteries are relatively light too.

michaellane

Feb 26, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #20 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only used a couple battery-powered hammer drills over the years ... the 36 volt Hilti (not sure which model) and the Bosch Bulldog I own.

The Bulldog is pretty sweet. I've modified it with an external battery pack and removed all the brackets and stuff which accomodated the orignal battery magazine and it's a real clean setup. I've never been able to fully burn through a fulll-charge on these batteries, even after a couple days in a row of bolting. I'd estimate I can get 40-50 3/8" x 4" holes from my batts. Maybe more.

In this configuration, the Bulldog is super-light so I can drill overhead with ease. I can also lead with it, too. Although I don't usually, it's possible by either stashing the battery pack in a backpack or leaving it clipped to the next-lower bolt with a fifi and dragging the battery pack up to me, bolt to bolt (there's an interesting [read] way to do this on hard routes where you can't really haul from a stance: rig an accessory cord from the fifi up through a pulley on your harness and then back to the ground and when it's time to haul and you've got good holds, have your belayer pull the cord so the fifi unhooks from the bolt and comes up to you).

All that said, the Hilti is the bomb. It's stronger (36V versus 24V) and runs super-sweet. It's Cadillac of hammer drills. Bosch = Pontiac. Hiltis cost a lot more and weigh a lot more.

Stay away from anything under 24V. I had an acquaintance buy a DeWalt 18V hammer drill from Home Depot. I warned him, but he didn't listen. On his inaugural outing, I spotted him at the crag and watched him burn through three batteries and come down all bummed because he'd only gotten about 1/8" deep in the rock.

Happy Bolting.

--ML

nrgroscoe

Feb 28, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #21 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hilti is the best and 36 volt is the way to go. Anything less is not worth the $$$$.
So go with Hilti 36 volt...

crushingfinger

Mar 29, 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #22 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TE-6a

kranked

Apr 2, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #23 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a Bosch (with a 3Ah Batt) and it works fine. The best advise I can give is to have a new drill bit when drilling harder rock (granite etc). You will get maximum holes out of your battery this way.
Speak to some good mates and get the same drill as them, that way you guys can battery share too.

I then put these 'used' drill bits to good use when drilling sandstone.

Buying a drill is the easy bit, getting the rest of the kit together is the hassle. eg accessory bag for rings/bolts etc, harness/sling for drill, holebrushes/holepump, blah blah blah.

Have fun and put up some stellar lines :D

ding5

Dec 1, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #24 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found the Bosch 24V 7/8" SDS-plus® Cordless Rotary Hammer for $399 reconditioned or $513 new. Check these guys out:

http://bosch.cpotools.com/cordless/cordless_hammer_drills_and_rotary_hammers/11524.html/?ref=rkc01

http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned/hammers_and_hammer_drills/rotary_and_combination_hammers/11524-rt.html/?ref=rkc01

etrader

Oct 19, 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #25 of 25 (21886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want some general advice on buying a cordless drill then try this site here, and ask a question, they may recommend a suitable hammer drill.

http://www.cordlessdrillworld.com/

http://www.cordlessdrillworld.com/

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook