Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Girl who fell in Jackson Falls on Saturday?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

socalclimber

Oct 27, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #101 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girl who fell in Jackson Falls on Saturday? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wrong again. If jane and john doe are present on scene and publish names and medical information publicly it's one thing. If trained and certified EMS personnel do so, it's ground for losing said certs. It's EMS-101. First day in these trainings/classes this is brought up.

Robert

taz

Oct 27, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #102 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Licensed healthcare workers are bound by HIPPA. People discussing an accident on a forum are not. The general details of accidents are released in public reports, this is correct, but names and specific details are withheld unless consent for their release is given by the victim, or they are obtained illegally.

A healthcare worker releasing an accident report which contains a victims identity, condition, treatment, etc. to a curious bystander without obtaining the victim's consent is a violation of HIPPA.
In this case a trained emergency provider was questioned about a specific accident, involving a specific person; and providing answers to those questions is a violation of HIPPA. This is why when you see an accident on the side of the road you cannot walk up and ask the EMT what happened-legally they cannot tell you.

Very much I agree that knowing the general details of an accident will help to prevent further accidents, HIPPA doesn't prevent this. Hearing about an accident and then asking if anyone in the general public knows the details is fine. Hearing about an accident and then obtaining a report from an EMT who worked on the victim is not legal.

brianinslc

Oct 27, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #103 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A healthcare worker releasing an accident report which contains a victims identity, condition, treatment, etc. to a curious bystander without obtaining the victim's consent is a violation of HIPPA.

Might be a violation of a professional code of conduct or ethics...but, a violation of HIPAA? Ok, point out the paragraph in the CFR where this is really true.

Now, if the healthcare worker emailed an electronic copy of the medical report to the victim's health care provider...yeah, bad ju ju.

But...chattin' with a curious bystander? Its bad conduct (and certainly unethical), but, is it really illegal? Severe penalties? I can't imagine it would be.

And...the victim's name hasn't been mentioned in this thread...(at least not that I've seen).

This whole privacy, patients rights thing is pretty sticky stuff! And, methinks the HIPAA law is currently being hotly debated in some circles...and the applications and ramifications are still being ironed out.

Maybe if the health care professionals are protected as "sources" without being named...ha ha...(like I don't watch enough Law and Order on TV already...).

Crazy stuff...

Brian in SLC

ricardol

Oct 27, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #104 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

7 Pages worth of posts .. and NOT ONE of them describes what the climber did that lead to this accident ..

.. we say that we discuss these accidents so we can learn.. so lets put up or shut up ..

.. please .. someone that knows that happened, post an accident report .. or post wether a report is being investigated .. lets find out where the pilor error occurred, so others can learn..

-- ricardo

ihatejeffstockton

Oct 27, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #105 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff-

I was interested in learning more about climbing from such a reputable and experienced climber such as your self. Having been climbing since 1996 and with epic climbs under your belt such as Southern Illinois, I was hoping you could teach me a few things.

To your climbing partner-

Give Jeff about 60m of penalty slack for his sensitivity these situations.

Oh, one more thing Jeff. Next time you have photos taken of you climbing, make sure they are taken from the ground. The glare from your bald spot really makes it difficult to see your GREAT sandbagged climbs.

taz

Oct 27, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #106 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now, if the healthcare worker emailed an electronic copy of the medical report to the victim's health care provider...yeah, bad ju ju.

But...chattin' with a curious bystander? Its bad conduct (and certainly unethical), but, is it really illegal? Severe penalties? I can't imagine it would be.

BrianinSLC- you are clearly out of your element, and lack even the most fundmental understanding of HIPPA :roll:

justsendingits

Oct 28, 2004, 2:20 AM
Post #107 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jeff-

I was interested in learning more about climbing from such a reputable and experienced climber such as your self. Having been climbing since 1996 and with epic climbs under your belt such as Southern Illinois, I was hoping you could teach me a few things.

To your climbing partner-

Give Jeff about 60m of penalty slack for his sensitivity these situations.

Oh, one more thing Jeff. Next time you have photos taken of you climbing, make sure they are taken from the ground. The glare from your bald spot really makes it difficult to see your GREAT sandbagged climbs.

I doubt Jeff will even respond to this post, shooting small fish like you(whoever you are) in a barrel is not very sporting!

Lame try at a troll, you get no points!!

But your wank factor has multiplied tenfold because you hide behind a fake name.

ihatejeffstockton

Oct 28, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #108 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, right. Small fish, small barrell? Which is worse- Fabricating the facts of a story to prove a point or responding to my message about your climbing partner (lube buddy). Oh I almost forgot this is about climbing and we measure the size of our... oh I've gone too far. :lol:

brianinslc

Oct 28, 2004, 3:40 PM
Post #109 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BrianinSLC- you are clearly out of your element, and lack even the most fundmental understanding of HIPPA

You're right...I'm not in a health care related business and I'm swimming in CFR 45 parts 160 - 164. How does the common man even begin to understand this stuff?

And, maybe we're not talkin' the same subject. I'm referring to, "the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996". Which seemed to be enacted primarily to protect workers against discrimination when they change health care coverage.

There's a privacy component to the Act. Under the Privacy Rules (amended as recently as April last year...and still being hotly debated it seems), there appears to be "permitted disclosure". I'll summarize what I think it says:

A covered entity may disclose protected health information if the covered entity, in good faith, believes the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent or lesson a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of a person or the public and is to a person or persons reasonably able to prevent or lesson the threat.

So, act in good faith and you're goin' to be ok. Are health care providers in the field at an accident site at risk, professionally? Geez, I'd hope not, and, I don't think that was the intent of HIPAA at all.

Talk about your thread drift...but...its interesting...and, my main climbing partner is a health care provider aka, a "covered entity"...and they don't think HIPAA applies in the situation discussed in this thread. Be unethical, in poor taste, etc. But, no risk to lose license etc.

HIPAA applies mainly to institutions, providers, practitioners, and not good samaritans...?

Convince me otherwise? You must be in the biz...what part?

The sky is falling the sky is falling...? Duck...

Brian in SLC

mingleefu

Oct 28, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #110 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
7 Pages worth of posts .. and NOT ONE of them describes what the climber did that lead to this accident ..

.. we say that we discuss these accidents so we can learn.. so lets put up or shut up ..

.. please .. someone that knows that happened, post an accident report .. or post wether a report is being investigated .. lets find out where the pilor error occurred, so others can learn..

As said earlier, we know that she was as the anchor and was setting up a rappel. That is all we know at the time. As it would seem, it was pilot error, since the bolts are still in the rock. At this time, that is all that is known.

I am actively attempting to discover more, but Dani is going to be very busy in the next few weeks with orthopedic appointments and such and such.
For now, I think all that needs to be known is to be careful when switching from leading, to anchoring, to rappeling. That's very broad, yes, but I doubt that this accident was caused by some situation that was never considered prior to that day.

As I said, she is at home. It is my impression that they are expecting a full recovery.

organic

Oct 28, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #111 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
BrianinSLC- you are clearly out of your element, and lack even the most fundmental understanding of HIPPA

You're right...I'm not in a health care related business and I'm swimming in CFR 45 parts 160 - 164. How does the common man even begin to understand this stuff?

And, maybe we're not talkin' the same subject. I'm referring to, "the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996". Which seemed to be enacted primarily to protect workers against discrimination when they change health care coverage.

There's a privacy component to the Act. Under the Privacy Rules (amended as recently as April last year...and still being hotly debated it seems), there appears to be "permitted disclosure". I'll summarize what I think it says:

A covered entity may disclose protected health information if the covered entity, in good faith, believes the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent or lesson a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of a person or the public and is to a person or persons reasonably able to prevent or lesson the threat.

So, act in good faith and you're goin' to be ok. Are health care providers in the field at an accident site at risk, professionally? Geez, I'd hope not, and, I don't think that was the intent of HIPAA at all.

Talk about your thread drift...but...its interesting...and, my main climbing partner is a health care provider aka, a "covered entity"...and they don't think HIPAA applies in the situation discussed in this thread. Be unethical, in poor taste, etc. But, no risk to lose license etc.

HIPAA applies mainly to institutions, providers, practitioners, and not good samaritans...?

Convince me otherwise? You must be in the biz...what part?

The sky is falling the sky is falling...? Duck...

Brian in SLC

I work in the biz at a hospital and HIPPA only has to do with disclosure of patient info. Anything I do not on the clock is called gossip and has nothing to do with HIPPA.

ricardol

Oct 28, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #112 of 112 (17216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As said earlier, we know that she was as the anchor and was setting up a rappel. That is all we know at the time. As it would seem, it was pilot error, since the bolts are still in the rock. At this time, that is all that is known.

I am actively attempting to discover more, but Dani is going to be very busy in the next few weeks with orthopedic appointments and such and such.
For now, I think all that needs to be known is to be careful when switching from leading, to anchoring, to rappeling. That's very broad, yes, but I doubt that this accident was caused by some situation that was never considered prior to that day.

As I said, she is at home. It is my impression that they are expecting a full recovery.

I think everyone already knows to be careful while climbing ..

.. i hope that a report eventually comes out that explains the sequence of events that led to the accident ..

.. meanwhile we should just lock down this thread .. its just a bunch of BS between people flaming each other.

-- ricardo

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook