RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

areyoumydude

Oct 31, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Highline bombers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I posted this pic a while back and it got bombed right away. At least by five people. What gives? It is a killer pic. Post up bombers. :D
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=41043

krillen

Nov 18, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Re: Highline bombers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Photo bombing happens. There is no solution. Don't take the ratings here seriously until people can stop acting like children.

Partner tim

Nov 18, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is no solution.

Hear, hear! That's the way to look at it! ;-)

Truth be told, massive deviations from the norm are massively discounted -- if there is a huge pile of '10' and '9' and '8' votes, and then a smattering of '1' votes and nothing in between, the '1' votes don't count much. I took a poll of people's thoughts regarding 'truth' or 'completeness' in those little vote graphs -- everyone wanted 'completeness' so they could still get their panties in a wad :-)

Rest assured, though, that as with everything else on the site, dirty tricks are employed to make sure that only dedicated bombers, employing proper teamwork, and enjoying good luck, can Make a Difference.

johnson6102002

Nov 18, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There is no solution.

Truth be told, massive deviations from the norm are massively discounted -- if there is a huge pile of '10' and '9' and '8' votes, and then a smattering of '1' votes and nothing in between, the '1' votes don't count much. I took a poll of people's thoughts regarding 'truth' or 'completeness' in those little vote graphs -- everyone wanted 'completeness' so they could still get their panties in a wad :-)

Rest assured, though, that as with everything else on the site, dirty tricks are employed to make sure that only dedicated bombers, employing proper teamwork, and enjoying good luck, can Make a Difference.

thats good to hear i never knew this thanks tim

jpdreamer

Nov 18, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could be because it doesn't show climbing so they looked at it and rated poorly because it's not a climbing pic per se...Although that sunset pic of the maine ice shows no climbing either and it's stayed high. Ah well, it's a thought. Nice pic.

caughtinside

Nov 18, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't rate that photo, but I will admit to bombing on occasion.

If there's a photo on the front page that I don't think is all that great, sure, I'll give it a 1, to try and get it off the FP. But, since Tim says low votes are discounted, maybe I'll try a 3 instead. heh heh.

Also, if there's stuff that's been on the front page forever, I'll give it a 1 when I'm tired of looking at it.

And lastly, I'm not really a fan of the slackline pics. Some of them are good, but in my opinion are good solely because of the scenery. And there sure are a lot of slackline pics.

I've often wondered why people get worked up about the photo scores. Usually, good photos stay on the FP and average photos don't. If you don't want people to rate your photo, that's an option too. I will admit that I don't take any photos, and have only posted one to the site, so I'm not really invested in it, so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Long story short: I don't vote photos low to be a jerk. I vote them low if I don't want to see them on the FP. That's it.

krillen

Nov 18, 2004, 9:01 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There is no solution.

Sorry Tim, this wasn't meant as a shot at you or the people that work really hard on this site (and have overhauled the photo system endlessly). my point was that no matter what we do to make the voting fair and "correct", it's never going to be until there is a fundemantal change in people's attitudes. I don't personally see this happening. The internet is people's place for annonymous misbehaviour, because there are no concequences.

popol

Nov 18, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If there's a photo on the front page that I don't think is all that great, sure, I'll give it a 1, to try and get it off the FP. But, since Tim says low votes are discounted, maybe I'll try a 3 instead. heh heh.

Kind of selfisch, don't you think? Give it honest votes, worthy to the picture, instead of bombing. And if you don't like the picture on the front page, refresh :roll:

caughtinside

Nov 18, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, I don't think it's selfish.

I'm not a pro photographer. I rate the photos based on how well I like them. If I don't like them, they get a low vote.

I don't purposefully bomb slackline photos. But, I don't like slacklining photos as much as I like climbing photos. I'm more likely to give slackline photos a lower score.

Why do people always complain about photo bombing? If people like your photos, they will get a high score. If people don't like them, or don't want to see slackline photos on the FP, they will get a low score.

Hasn't it been suggested that you can see what people vote on photos? I'm cool with that. I stand behind my votes. They're not personal.

I give high scores to photos I like. Sheesh.

krillen

Nov 22, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Also, if there's stuff that's been on the front page forever, I'll give it a 1 when I'm tired of looking at it.

That's personal. There's no objective critique involved in that.

the_pirate

Nov 22, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I posted this pic a while back and it got bombed right away. At least by five people. What gives?

Several reasons:

1) Some people think that their opinion is more valuable than those of everyone else and bomb photos they don't like seeing on the FP.

2) Some people feel that slacklining is not part of climbing and should not be featured on a climbing site. (Quite often these people also fall into category #1).

3) People that post slacklining pictures on this site seem to be (IMHO) overly sensitive to the people in category #2 and by posting these sensitivities, give the people in category #1 a big fat chubby as they bomb your pics.

FWIW, I lthink you have some great pictures. Too many of the same thing on the FP gets monotonous though; too many slacklining pics, too many landscapes, too many sunsets, etc. But I stopped voting on pictures months ago.

Partner holdplease2

Nov 22, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...or, perhaps, a little tiny chubby.

-Kate.

caughtinside

Nov 22, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's personal. There's no objective critique involved in that.

Uhh, so? I wasn't aware I had to vote based on your criteria.

Hell. Maybe I'll stop voting on photos. I don't really give a hoot anyway, and people seem to get upset.

krillen

Nov 23, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hasn't it been suggested that you can see what people vote on photos? I'm cool with that. I stand behind my votes. They're not personal.

Sounds like YOUR criteria, not mine.

caughtinside

Nov 23, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you've got a reading comprehension issue there. By 'they're not personal' I was addressing the issue that's been discussed here before, that some people vote a 1 because they don't like the person who posted the photo. I have not done that.

It's simple:
Some slackline pictures are good.
I like climbing pictures more than slackline pictures.

areyoumydude

Nov 23, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...or, perhaps, a little tiny chubby.

-Kate.

now that makes sense. :lol:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook