RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

crackrn

Sep 23, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Chicks on Cracks...anyone going?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just saw this...looks pretty cool. Is anyone going to this?

Chicks on Cracks

My BF wants me to go cuz he's given up on teaching me how to hand jam. :lol:

maculated

Sep 24, 2004, 7:17 AM
Post #2 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chicks on Cracks...anyone going? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of those kinds of gatherings, but if i had the money and the means, I'd probably be there. I really need to get confident on 10 leads - and a weekend in IC with those women would probably do it.

tonithegreat

Sep 24, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my gosh, I want to go sooooooo bad! I'm checking my credit limits. I'm seriously considering.

I'm not usually so big on estrogen limited events, but my climbing needs a good sharp kick in the butt, and if that means surrounding myself with other women, then fine. I bet they'll be way cool for the most part. I've been having trouble getting my partners to get out on real rock this summer anyway. This thing would provide me with climbing hungry partners and new friends. And I could finally get my good solid intro to trad!

Oh, I'm stoked. I really wonder if I can swing it. Too bad my only good friend in the area will be back in Florida that weekend!

My jamming technique could use some serious help, too. I have this tendency to try to layback instead, all the time, and tire myself out in short order.

Toni

crackrn

Sep 25, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #4 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is is just personal preference that neither of you generally like these kind of events? I'm not that excited about not knowing a single soul but think in general it would be fairly fun and informative.

tonithegreat

Sep 28, 2004, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just have the general attitude that I actually like guys as companions, sometimes to the point where I find them easier to get along with than other girls. So when I see some event that looks great, like this clinic, and then I see that it has a "chicks only" sort of attitude, I'm dissapointed. I'd prefer to think that we, as women, are past the need to segregate ourselves off from men to have confidence and learn. At 6'5", I kind of imagine that my crack technique would benefit from manly advice, as well as womanly advice. Now, I'm not condemming clinics that are just for women. I think that they are just fine, and they should be out there for the people that want to choose them. It's just my personal choice not to frequent those kinds of things, because I prefer a nonexclusive atmosphere where on the face of things, both guys and girls are welcome.

But, since I don't see any "both sexes" clinics of this type out there, I might still try to go to this. Because it looks awesome! Although I checked my credit last night, and I really don't _need_ to pay for a flight to Salt Lake City or Denver.

Toni

maculated

Sep 28, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #6 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Elyse,

To answer your question, yup, just personal preference. I'm not into organized climbing events. It's the rebel in me, or something. I'm also not all about "women's" stuff, simply because I don't feel that oppressed or feel the need to be "empowered." That's just me, though, I've always been the only woman in a group of men. I'm fairly comfortable in that role.

sublimeclimb

Sep 28, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #7 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had the money and the means, I would be there in a second! I recently volunteered for a Women in Climbing weekend sponsored by Sterling and I had a great time. I know that a few of the women helping out in that event will be at Chics on Cracks as well and they were truly awesome people. On one level I agree with you women who do not like the exclusive attitude but on another level it was great to FINALLY climb with women! It's a rare event for me. My 2 cents

crackrn

Oct 1, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #8 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I signed up today, so I hope it's fun! I know what you mean (tonithegreat and maculated) about the segregating aspects of these things; hopefully this will be more along the lines of just some cool women (god please! :lol: ) who want to get better. My BF was gonna try and find a partner and come along but I decided I wanted to keep it girlie this weekend. I've never climbed with women (in my 4 month career, heehee!) so it should be interesting.

maculated

Oct 4, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #9 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Report back. I'd love to hear how it goes.

crackrn

Oct 11, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #10 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugh. They cancelled the October class because not enough people signed up. I can't go the November session cuz I have a race that weekend. So, no Chicks on Cracks for me. I"m a little grumpy...just bought my non refundable plane ticket! :evil:

tonithegreat

Oct 11, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Elyse, that really sucks! I had made up my mind to go to the October class, but then I got hit with a short paycheck from some vacation and hurricane days that I had forgotten about, and figured that I really couldn't afford it.

Could you maybe just hire a guide from Moab Adventures for some of the days and still go and climb and work on technique? I know it wouldn't be as good as the class, but you can't have a wasted plane ticket.

If I had managed to sign up and buy my plane ticket, I'd offer to climb with you that weekend.

Toni

crackrn

Oct 15, 2004, 3:49 AM
Post #12 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw, thanks, Toni, that would have been cool! Yah, it sucks royally but oh well. The BF and I are making the best of it and going to Yosemite instead. We'll just have to make our peace with our second choice...heehee!

crackrn

Oct 20, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #13 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So now I may be going to the november class :roll: . The coordinator said I can do it for the price of the first class and I might have the time off so....
There's another 1/2 marathon later that month I can do so I won't be missing out on anything really. We'll see!

cowbelle

Oct 20, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #14 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, Elyse!

I'm so glad you decided to come to ChOCs! I'm sure you won't regret it. I went last year and I recently decided to go again this year. So now you do (kinda) know someone who will be there. Hi, I'm Robin. Nice to meet cha. :)

The students and teachers are all awesome women. Well, except for Craig. He's awesome, but he's a man.

Your bf would probably enjoy himself, too. I remember friends of students climbing on the crags around us. The slideshow/BBQ on Saturday night is a fundraiser for the local women's shelter and all are welcome to attend.

The money is well worth it- believe me. That's easy for me to say, safe and snug in my cube on payday, but last year I was a dirty, jobless dread head with dwindling funds, and I splurged. Plus you get tons of free stuff. :)

See ya there. :)

crackrn

Oct 20, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #15 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Robin! I'm still not sure I can go. I am between jobs and my next job hasn't put me on the schedule just yet *madface*. Once I get that all sorted out, if my ticket is still valid I'm there!

tonithegreat

Oct 27, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #16 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oooh! If I think ahead and budget that means I could definitely plan on going next year!

Toni

zanecafe

Oct 28, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #17 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey all - my name is lisa...i'm new to the site. i live in ouray, which is about 3 hours from moab. i think this clinic sounds awesome. i've been climbing for 15 years and while i enjoy climbing with men i have had some of my most memorable climbing moments and best leads with other women.
i don't find that many women to climb with partly because i'm in a small town and partly because i only want to climb with women who i connect with and are supportive. i'm also a mom and would love to find other moms who share my passion, because trying to juggle doing things like big walls while being a mom is difficult. i just discovered this site and i'm psyched about this forum.
i'll also say that i have met many of the women putting this on and they are a great group of gals!!
....ssoooooo...that said, i think i am going to, once again, drag my 9 year old son to the desert for the weekend....if just to checkout the slide show and show support!!

crackrn

Oct 30, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #18 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Lisa! I will see you there then. I sucked up my dwindling accounts and am headed to Moab in 6 days! I managed to convince another friend to come so should be a good time.

rosemom3

Oct 31, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #19 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just signed up today. Talked to one of the women organizing CHOC and it sounds great. I have been trying to get back into leading after a bad fall and injury and really struggling with my head. I hope this will help. It's in my backyard where I climb all the time. But I think sometimes its easier for me to attempt a lead that freaks me out with another woman because they understand my fear. I love climbing with guys but they don't say take your time you can do it - they say "get on it" -"send it" - etc. Sometimes I just need the patience and support that women seem to be able to give better. I am hoping to improve my ability to finger jam - especially .75 size cracks and maybe improve my overhanging offwidth technique both of which stick me when I try and top-rope 5.11 at Indian Creek and on towers.

zanecafe

Nov 1, 2004, 1:24 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this post is for rosemom...you live in junction? we take our 9 year old son to the desert all the time and are always looking for other parents there. it would be great to hook up and climb at the creek or do a tower. lisa

rosemom3

Nov 1, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lisa -
Have you found some reasonably safe places to take your son. I keep looking for 5.6, 5.7 crack/ slabs that the kids would enjoy but like Wall Street is positively scary because of the semi-trucks. We have climbed outside at the slabs in Colorado nat'l. Monument and in Devils Kitchen near the east entrance of the same. I thought about Sunshine Wall north of Moab. Which Towers have you taken him on? Do you live in Ouray? Tracy

zanecafe

Nov 1, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This post should probably be moved to my other post on climbing with kids...not sure how to to that. anyway, we have taken our son up castleton tower, independence monument and most recently honeymoon chimney. he has also done multi pitch climbing in lovers leap, austraila and climbed in thailand. he loves the adventure. it's not like he sends these things, but he has fun and does what ever it takes to get up the rock...pulling on gear, standing on my head or climbing an aider. doing one pitch things or climbing with him is all well and good but it's hard for us to get out and do our own adventure stuff like big walls, harder towers and routes in the black canyon. my efforts to connect with other parents are more for my own climbing goals. ie... we want to spend a month in yosmite this summer and i would like to do elcap with another gal...if we had other parents there we could swap off with the kids and such.
if you want to email me i would be happy to share more info. on kid friendly places and stuff we have done. email is zanecafe@yahoo.com
thanks, lisa

rock_diva

Nov 1, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wish I could make it... unfortunately have a race that weekend. Indian Creek has all my favorite crack climbs. I'm dying to lead Incredible Hand Crack... and if I have the nerve, Fingers in a Lightsocket... have to get back to IC soon!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook