RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

mdude

Nov 2, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #1 of 4 (4222 views)
Shortcut

TOTUM POLE on the rez
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does any one have current info or a story. I have been interest in this unique climb and have heard that the locals do not allow it. Have there been any women that have summited and what is the current climb count.

MD

sonso45

Nov 3, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #2 of 4 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Re: TOTUM POLE on the rez [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you talking bout the totem pole in monument valley? If so, it's been stripped and you can't climb it without permission of the tribe and $$$.

charlieclimber

Nov 3, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #3 of 4 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed the Totem Pole with Alison Sheets and Kyle Copeland several years ago ('89?? I can't remember), a photo of Alison leading the first pitch was on the cover of ROCK AND ICE. I was back on the Totem Pole last October for a movie about basejumping. I replaced the huge wad of shwag on top with a proper chain anchor on the edge, at the top of the Never Never Land route. Also I removed and filled alot of manky bolts and holes on top. The Navajo people would appreciate it if climbers left the summit clean. The route was not stripped then; in fact Will Gadd and Kim Csyzmazia climbed Never Never Land for the movie. We did this with permission of the locals. Climbing on the reservation is like climbing everywhere else, there's different rules and regulations depending on where you climb. For most places on the Navajo reservation, which are basically private including Shiprock, you can ask the locals who own the grazing rights and in most cases they will say yes. Like everywhere, being respectful, helpful and courteous goes along way. Monument Valley is a tribal park with different rules, however. You must get permission from the park administration and also the local chapter government (like a county). The film production company I worked for made a generous donation to a local kids' function and we were granted permission after some serious bargaining.

I hope this helps, Charlie

cire

Dec 2, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #4 of 4 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was nego. via access fund to open the totem for climbing starting this year for a season running from Oct to April or so. The plan fell through when brought before the local people whom live near the totem. Many felt it ok but enough felt against it to keep it still closed. Hopefully in the near future the totem will be open to climbing. I have been talking to the native government employee in cahrge of seeing the process through. I last talk with him in OCT.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook