First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marks

Nov 7, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #1 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

british view of bush
Report this Post
Can't Post

in the uk people cannot believe that bush has being re-elected.i would have stood a better chance of winning than bush in the u.k.the fact he seems to base some of his policies on his religious/moral beliefs would be his death knell over here,as people are not religous like americans.people are saying that tony blairs chances of being prime minister again are slim because of his fondness for being bushes puppet on a string.

anyone know what his i.q is supposed to be? got to be about 80

cosmokramer

Nov 7, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #2 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Re: british view of bush [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

America's view of the British

http://www.austinpowers.com/...tinpurplestripes.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:D

jimmylegs

Nov 7, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The front page of the Daily Mirror newspaper read "How can 59,054,097 people be so dumb?"

Sums up at least a portion of the sentiment there.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/...B6E080BFB6FA0000.jpg

curt

Nov 7, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in the uk people cannot believe that bush has being re-elected.i would have stood a better chance of winning than bush in the u.k.the fact he seems to base some of his policies on his religious/moral beliefs would be his death knell over here,as people are not religous like americans.people are saying that tony blairs chances of being prime minister again are slim because of his fondness for being bushes puppet on a string.

Yeah, I suspect the average Yale graduate who goes on to get a M.B.A. from Harvard has an I.Q. of around 80. :boring:

Curt

cosmokramer

Nov 7, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #5 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The front page of the Daily Mirror newspaper read "How can 59,054,097 people be so dumb?"

Sums up at least a portion of the sentiment there.

Maybe Dan Rather can do a breaking story on the relevance of British tabloids to choosing an American president.

:D

danpayne

Nov 7, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #6 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, I suspect the average Yale graduate who goes on to get a M.B.A. from Harvard has an I.Q. of around 80. :boring:

Curt

Curt, do you honestly believe that he got into those schools on his own? I think he had to at least have a little help from the family...

danpayne

Nov 7, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never understood how he can be pro-life AND be for executing the retarded.

pinktricam

Nov 7, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #8 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.... be for executing the retarded.
This probably has you a little nervous, huh, buddy?

danpayne

Nov 7, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #9 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that is exactly what I am worried about. How about trying to actually answer my question? Thats something a "Bushie" has never taken me up on. How can you be PRO-LIFE, and PRO DEATH PENALTY?

pinktricam

Nov 7, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #10 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, Mr. Payne (in the arse), granted it's a fine question you pose, but less of a moral dilema than you might expect.

First of all, the unborn child has no voice in the world; that child is an innocent and that child is a completely separate living human being than its mother. BTW, I'd never be against an abortion if the life of the mother was imperiled, but that's rarely the case and we have today in the United States what has become a veritable abortion INDUSTRY. There are no unwanted children, Mr. Payne.

On your second point, those convicted of a murder DO have a voice and a choice in the matter that they took into their own hands. They know right from wrong...even those with a low IQ know the difference between right and wrong. I will admit that I do often think about this issue and I may even persuaded to change my mind in the furure, but as it stands now. I'm firmly in support of the death penaly as a deterrent.

spiderwomann

Nov 7, 2004, 8:09 PM
Post #11 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fact of the matter is that it has been proven on numerous occasions to NOT be a deterrent.
From the Amnesty International Website (http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/deterrence.html):

“A New York Times survey, released in September 2000, found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 percent to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty."

“FBI data showed that 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment have homicide rates below the national average.”

“An examination of homicides in Los Angeles before and after the execution of Robert Harris in 1992, California’s first execution in 25 years, revealed slight increases in homicides during the eight months following Harris’ execution."

“A comparison of murder rates and rates of sub-types of murder (felony-murder; stranger robbery-related murder; stranger non-felony murder; argument-related murder) in Oklahoma between 1989 and 1991 uncovered no evidence of a deterrent effect. Researchers did find a significant increase in stranger killings (both felony and non-felony) after Oklahoma resumed executions after a 25-year moratorium."

“Researchers Keith Harries and Derral Cheatwood studied differences in homicides in 293 counties that were paired based on factors such as geographic location and demographic and economic variables. The pairs shared a contiguous border, but differed on use of capital punishment. The authors found no support for a deterrent effect. They did find higher violent crime rates in death penalty counties.”

As for Cost:

- A New York study estimated the cost of an execution at three times that of life imprisonment.

- In Florida, each execution costs the state $3.2 million, compared to $600,000 for life imprisonment.

- Studies in California, Kansas, Maryland, and North Carolina all have concluded that capital punishment is far more expensive than keeping someone in prison for life.

Peace

pinktricam

Nov 7, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #12 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spidey, you bring up some valid points and supporting data...like I said, I think about this often and will continue to reconsider my position on the death penalty.

areyoumydude

Nov 7, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #13 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm firmly in support of the death penaly as a deterrent.

PFFTT. So you think someone that is about to kill someone is going to stop and take a step back and say "wait a minute. If I get caught I might get the death penalty." Yea right.

The death penalty is nothing more than an eye for an eye.

bluto

Nov 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #14 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Believe it or not, it wasn't just rednecks who voted for Bush
By Mark Steyn
(Filed: 07/11/2004)

The big question after Tuesday was: will it just be more of the same in George W Bush's second term, or will there be a change of tone? And apparently it's the latter. The great European thinkers have decided that instead of doing another four years of lame Bush-is-a-moron cracks they're going to do four years of lame Americans-are-morons cracks. Inaugurating the new second-term outreach was Brian Reade in the Daily Mirror, who attributed the President's victory to: "The self-righteous, gun-totin', military-lovin', sister-marryin', abortion-hatin', gay-loathin', foreigner-despisin', non-passport-ownin' rednecks, who believe God gave America the biggest dick in the world so it could urinate on the rest of us and make their land 'free and strong'."

Well, that's certainly why I supported Bush, but I'm not sure it entirely accounts for the other 59,459,765. Forty five per cent of Hispanics voted for the President, as did 25 per cent of Jews, and 23 per cent of gays. And this coalition of common-or-garden rednecks, Hispanic rednecks, sinister Zionist rednecks, and lesbian rednecks who enjoy hitting on their gay-loathin' sisters expanded its share of the vote across the entire country - not just in the Bush states but in the Kerry states, too.

In all but six states, the Republican vote went up: the urinating rednecks have increased their number not just in Texas and Mississippi but in Massachusetts and California, both of which have Republican governors. You can drive from coast to coast across the middle of the country and never pass through a single county that voted for John Kerry: it's one continuous cascade of self-righteous urine from sea to shining sea. States that were swing states in 2000 - West Virginia, Arkansas - are now solidly Republican, and once solidly Democrat states - Iowa, Wisconsin - are now swingers. The redneck states push hard up against the Canadian border, where if your neck's red it's frostbite. Bush's incontinent rednecks are everywhere: they're so numerous they're running out of sisters to bunk up with.

Who exactly is being self-righteous here? In Britain and Europe, there seem to be two principal strains of Bush-loathing. First, the guys who say, if you disagree with me, you must be an idiot - as in the Mirror headline "How can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?" Second, the guys who say, if you disagree with me, you must be a Nazi - as in Oliver James, who told The Guardian: "I was too depressed to even speak this morning. I thought of my late mother, who read Mein Kampf when it came out in the 1930s [sic] and thought, 'Why doesn't anyone see where this is leading?' "

Mr James is a clinical psychologist.

If smug Europeans are going to coast on moron-Fascist sneers indefinitely, they'll be dooming themselves to ever more depressing mornings-after in the 2006 midterms, the 2008 presidential election, 2010, and beyond: America's resistance to the conventional wisdom of the rest of the developed world is likely to intensify in the years ahead. This widening gap is already a point of pride to the likes of B J Kelly of Killiney, who made the following observation on Friday's letters page in The Irish Times: "Here in the EU we objected recently to high office for a man who professed the belief that abortion and gay marriages are essentially evil. Over in the US such an outlook could have won him the presidency."

I'm not sure who he means by "we". As with most decisions taken in the corridors of Europower, the views of Killiney and Knokke and Krakow didn't come into it one way or the other. B J Kelly is referring to Rocco Buttiglione, the mooted European commissioner whose views on homosexuality, single parenthood, etc would have been utterly unremarkable for an Italian Catholic 30 years ago. Now Europe's secular elite has decided they're beyond the pale and such a man should have no place in public life. And B J Kelly sees this as evidence of how much more enlightened Europe is than America.

That's fine. But what happens if the European elite should decide a whole lot of other stuff is beyond the pale, too, some of it that B J Kelly is quite partial to? In affirming the traditional definition of marriage in 11 state referenda, from darkest Mississippi to progressive enlightened Kerry-supporting Oregon, the American people were not expressing their "gay-loathin' ", so much as declining to go the Kelly route and have their betters tell them what they can think. They're not going to have marriage redefined by four Massachusetts judges and a couple of activist mayors. That doesn't make them Bush theo-zombies marching in lockstep to the gay lynching, just freeborn citizens asserting their right to dissent from today's established church - the stifling coercive theology of political correctness enforced by a secular episcopate.

As Americans were voting on marriage and marijuana and other matters, the Rotterdam police were destroying a mural by Chris Ripke that he'd created to express his disgust at the murder of Theo van Gogh by Islamist crazies. Ripke's painting showed an angel and the words "Thou Shalt Not Kill". Unfortunately, his workshop is next to a mosque, and the imam complained that the mural was "racist", so the cops arrived, destroyed it, arrested the television journalists filming it and wiped their tape. Maybe that would ring a bell with Oliver James's mum.

The restrictions on expression that B J Kelly sees as evidence of European enlightenment are regarded as profoundly unhealthy by most Americans. When one examines Brian Reade's anatomy of redneck disfigurements - "gun-totin', military-lovin', abortion-hatin' " - most of them are about the will to survive, as individuals and as a society. Americans tote guns because they're assertive citizens, not docile subjects of a permanent governing class. They love their military because they think there's something contemptible about Europeans preening and posing as a great power when they can't even stop some nickel'n'dime Balkan genital-severers piling up hundreds of thousands of corpses on their borders.

And, if Americans do "hate abortion", is Mr Reade saying he loves it? It's at least partially responsible for the collapsed birthrates of post-Christian Europe. However superior the EU is to the US, it will only last as long as Mr Reade's generation: the design flaw of the radical secular welfare state is that it depends on a traditionally religious society birthrate to sustain it. True, you can't be a redneck in Spain or Italy: when the birthrates are 1.1 and 1.2 children per couple, there are no sisters to shag.

What was revealing about this election campaign was how little the condescending Europeans understand even about the side in American politics they purport to agree with - witness The Guardian's disastrous intervention in Clark County. Simon Schama last week week defined the Bush/Kerry divide as "Godly America" and "Worldly America", hailing the latter as "pragmatic, practical, rational and sceptical". That's exactly the wrong way round: it's Godly America that is rational and sceptical - especially of Euro-delusions. Uncowed by Islamists, undeferential to government, unshrivelled in its birthrates, Bush's redneck America is a more reliable long-term bet. Europe's media would do their readers a service if they stopped condescending to it.

Partner philbox

Nov 7, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #15 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, let`s talk statistics shall we.

University studies prove that 100% of the criminals that receive the death penalty have been shown to not reoffend.

Now how many criminals that should have gotten the death penalty and were instead released have reoffended.

As for abortion it has been shown that 100% of aborted babies have not grown up to receive the nobel prize for inventing the next great thing for humanity.

rockn_j

Nov 8, 2004, 1:02 AM
Post #16 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, let`s talk statistics shall we.

University studies prove that 100% of the criminals that receive the death penalty have been shown to not reoffend.

That alone justifies it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I completely agree with the majority of the people in the UK and and The Daily Mirror. Lets all say it together: "Doh!"

In reply to:
America's view of the British

http://www.austinpowers.com/...tinpurplestripes.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've been living there for a year. They're not completely wrong :twisted:

collegekid

Nov 8, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #17 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Now how many criminals that should have gotten the death penalty and were instead released have reoffended.

As for abortion it has been shown that 100% of aborted babies have not grown up to receive the nobel prize for inventing the next great thing for humanity."

-Interesting, so you're saying:

Children who would have otherwise been aborted may grow up to win the nobel prize.

Maybe you've got it all backwards:

Babies that are raised by parents that don't have the capabilities (mentally/monetarily) to support a baby do a poor job of raising the child. The child is brought up most likely by one parent (the mother) who ends up working multiple jobs to support it, if it is not given to adoption. The child ends up being raised in a poor neighborhood with little supervision; the schools he attends are low quality; he turns to drugs, violence, and gangs, and ends up killing or committing crimes.

collegekid

Nov 8, 2004, 2:16 AM
Post #18 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, and i forgot to say:

I'm sorry, rest of the world. 4 more years, unless he manages to alter the constitution and extend his term. Anything's possible at this point.

boz84

Nov 8, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #19 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, that is exactly what I am worried about. How about trying to actually answer my question? Thats something a "Bushie" has never taken me up on. How can you be PRO-LIFE, and PRO DEATH PENALTY?

Are you serious?

yOu cant be this dumb. Its just not possible.

(Note, any following comment is just a statement of facts, not neccesarily my own viewpoint)

The death penalty is given to peopel convicted of capital crimes. These people are evil. They deserve to be punished because they do not value, and in fact harm the values of society. Without these values, society ceases to function.

On the other hand, abortion to some is giving the death penalty to the pure example of innocence.

curt

Nov 8, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #20 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, no criminal ever put to death has lived to win a Nobel prize--and no aborted babies have lived to commit murder. Weird, isn't it?

Curt

Partner tattooed_climber

Nov 8, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #21 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm firmly in support of the death penaly as a deterrent.

PFFTT. So you think someone that is about to kill someone is going to stop and take a step back and say "wait a minute. If I get caught I might get the death penalty." Yea right.

The death penalty is nothing more than an eye for an eye.
you're on the ball dude....

my dad's arguing point....and i quote "DO YOU THINK SOMEONE WILL THINK TWICE TO USE A GUN IF IT ISN"T REGISTERED?"

but with that in mind, what does society do?.......course, it could make more laws and stiffer penalties....but half the time it just makes things more complicated than it really is

what the TRUE underlying problem is that Western Society (or maybe society in general) has not come to find its Happy Spot (happy medium, its Zen, Equilibrium, balance of social control and social life, etc) ...this can be Interpreted in many ways

boz84

Nov 8, 2004, 4:52 AM
Post #22 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but as it stands now. I'm firmly in support of the death penaly as a deterrent.

The problem here is that the deathpenalty is a poor general deterrence.

No causality has been proven between death ppenalties and lowered crime rates.

While it can definitely be argued that its an individual detterent (once executed he wont kill again), the problem with this logic is looking at the recidivity rates of capital crimes.

The percentage of murderers who go free and then kill again is so low its laughable.

kachoong

Nov 8, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #23 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The death penalty is given to peopel convicted of capital crimes. These people are evil. They deserve to be punished because they do not value, and in fact harm the values of society. Without these values, society ceases to function.
....problem there is that death isn't really a punishment, since to truly punish somebody involves them having to learn from it. Who learns once they're dead? Capital punishment is more like revenge than a lesson....

boz84

Nov 8, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #24 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, by punishing the evil people, it gives us "good people" a yardstick by which we can measure our "goodness".

Partner philbox

Nov 8, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #25 of 30 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe you've got it all backwards:

Babies that are raised by parents that don't have the capabilities (mentally/monetarily) to support a baby do a poor job of raising the child. The child is brought up most likely by one parent (the mother) who ends up working multiple jobs to support it, if it is not given to adoption. The child ends up being raised in a poor neighborhood with little supervision; the schools he attends are low quality; he turns to drugs, violence, and gangs, and ends up killing or committing crimes.

It seems that you are saying as a counter arguement that only rich two parent families should have a licence to procreate. Hmm. Poor people can do as good a job of raising kids as the rich, perhaps moreso in some cases. It is not the wealth of a person that is the determining factor for the success or otherwise of a child.

I see a strawman in your argument here.

The fact is that abortion is increasingly seen as an alternative to contraception. It is seen more and more as a convenience. Society has to get the abortion rates down somehow.

Back to the death penalty, we have to get those rates up. Heinous capital crimes should be treated as capital crimes and the death penalty enforced.

To argue one against the other, abortion against the death penalty as somehow inconsistent is ludicrous. Two totally different subjects as some here have already pointed out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook