RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jonnyb

Nov 8, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #1 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Chalk irritating Eyes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had a problem with my right eye for over 3 months. The eye doctor diagnosed it as conjunctivitis, gave me medicine and it cleared up, briefly. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.
I have begun to notice a correlation between this problem and climbing at the gym. You know those really crowded days, when you can see the chalky haze sitting in the air? That can't be good for the eyes.
I'm not really looking for medical advice here. I know this site is notorious for strange medical advice. I just want to know if anyone else's eyes get irritated by this?

fear

Nov 8, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #2 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chalk irritating Eyes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never heard of that before. Not that it's impossible.

If it's just one of your eye's though I'd have to doubt it being some sort of environmental irritant.....

-Fear

bdawg

Nov 8, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a tear duct infection about 8 months ago, it was horrible. The pain was right up there with spraining your ankle. At first they thought it was conjunctivitis, but the stuff they gave me for it didn't help for shit. I am not sure what caused my infection but I was going to the gym alot at the time so it very well could have been climbing chalk.

dontfall

Nov 8, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #4 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this post adds to my theory that gyms are truly bad for you.... :lol:

jonnyb

Nov 8, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #5 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this post adds to my theory that gyms are truly bad for you.... :lol:

I don't argue with that statement at all.

jonnyb

Nov 8, 2004, 9:31 PM
Post #6 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Never heard of that before. Not that it's impossible.

If it's just one of your eye's though I'd have to doubt it being some sort of environmental irritant.....

-Fear

Well, the doctor's theory was that since the eye got infected, it was having trouble healing from 'dirt.' Both eyes itch, but only one stays red...

wings

Nov 8, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #7 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had an eye infection once and, perhaps coincidentally, it appearred the day after a session in the gym in which some small bits of shoe rubber got into my eye (black dots).

- Seyil

joshb0ys

Nov 8, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #8 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on a related note, i don't mean to hijack your post, but does anybody think that using chalk as a coagulent is dangerous?

climb_plastic

Nov 8, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #9 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It hurts if you get it in your eyes...it could also be dangerous if you eat a whole lot of it or if you stick your nose and mouth in your chalk bag and take deep breaths until you pass out.

andrewph

Nov 8, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #10 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On another slightly related note i've had problems with alot of chalk in the air when im on something really pumpy and need to take in some really deep breaths, all the chalk in the air seriously hinders the breathing process.

ill be hanging on some climb and take a deep breath and then start coughing till i cough myself off the wall!!

roc-dude
Deleted

Nov 9, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #11 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For years I would get an eye infection every 3-4 months. My eye would become red, swollen and hurt. the infections would last 3-5 five days and then get better. About a year and a half ago, I got an infection that did not go away. My top eye lid became large with the infection but after 5-7 days the pain went away, but a large knot or lump formed in the eye lid. THe knot was large enough to put pressure on my eye and blur my vision. After about a month, I went to the eye doctor and he said I had a Chalazion which is a clogged oil gland in the eye lid. He gave some meds and said if it does not get better they can operate or I can live with it the rest of my life. Well, it did not get better so I was living with it, (not interested in a eye operation). 3 months later, I woke up with my eye swollen shut. The infection had got wose. I got into see the Doc and he looked at the eye an said "nurse get the operation table ready". 10 mins later he was sticking needles in my eye lid to deaden it. They took a knife and sliced open the eye lid and pulled out the harden lumb, put a patch over the eye, and sent me on my way. Things are all good now. I still have a small lump in the eye lid ( I don't think they got the whole Chalazion out) but I can only feel it if I run my finger across it. The Doc told me, if I wash my eyes out really good each time I get through climbing I would not have this problem. Since I started washing my eyes no eye problems at all. Wash your eyes out everytime you are leaving the gym to prevent eye problems.

jonnyb

Nov 9, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #12 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow. thanks for the heads up...

malnosaj

Nov 9, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #13 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a problem after going to the gym with a gritty feeling in both my eyes. It was a on and off problem that lasted for about 4-5 days before it started getting itchy, this is when went to the doctor. He said i had an allergy? Gave me some eye drops and im fine now, but ive neva had this problem in the years ive been climbin in gyms...wierd

overlord

Nov 11, 2004, 2:08 PM
Post #14 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my ex had contact lenses and it really irritated her eyes. and it doesnt feel good if i get some into mine. so, i guess i does irritate.

Partner csgambill

Nov 12, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #15 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three things:

1. Your gym needs to get some ventilation.

2. Don't rub your eyes until you wash your hands. Every time you rub your eyes your rubbing all the goo that litte snot dripping kids ooze onto the holds when you're not looking into your eyes. Tasty huh?

3. If 1 & 2 fail, wear swimming goggles. If people look at you funny you can always wear a cape and tell people you're "special."

spikeyhair13

Nov 12, 2004, 3:57 AM
Post #16 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all!! I have the problem as well, but it has never gotten that bad. Chalk gets in my eyes from over chalking and it falls off my hands and into my eyes. But at my "gym", which i hardley consider a gym, because it is a pinnacle at REI, nice rock, but no gym. Anyhoo, to solve this problem, of chalk in eyes and in their store, you can only use chalk if u climb a 5.9 or higher. This solves the problem, because the poser climbers that go there rarely make it over a 5.9. I will admidt that some very experienced people go there but not enough!!! So if u get enough people together and state this is a real problem, the gym might enforece that rule. You guys might not like that one but it works for me where i
climb. Hope that helped

theishofoz

Nov 12, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #17 of 17 (7878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just wear goggles......

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook