First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wildtrail

Nov 9, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #1 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Cool Boat!
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my cousin's boat. That's me driving it. Shot one is of me accelerating, resulting in a large rooster tail. Shot two is me doing in the neighborhood of 80MPH. I got it to around 98 MPH, but the second shot taken was of me slowing down to turn (which can be done around 70MPH). Shot three is at, or around, top speed (98-102MPH).

Wicked awesome.

http://www.geocities.com/wildtrail/rooster2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/wildtrail/haulin1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/wildtrail/Flyin.JPG

madriver

Nov 10, 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #2 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cool Boat! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...kinda reminds me of that Sail Boarding Kerry political ad....

...JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! :lol:

verticallaw

Nov 10, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #3 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kick ass man. I built one like this (only smaller) years ago and loved it only problem was finding somewhere with enough room to get the dam thing up to speed. It never handled waves well so the ocean was out... which turned out to be the death of it. I hit a ferry wake doing about 80 and the dam thing disintergrated (spl) underneath me, one second I'm in the boat.... the next I'm doing the daffey duck run on the water, that is until I realized what had happened and splash. My uncle watched the whole thing... said it was one of the funniest things he ever saw.

dont flip over

Cheers
Mike

kimmyt

Nov 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #4 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um....they all look the same.

Maybe it's a guy thing.

K.

wildtrail

Nov 10, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #5 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

verticallaw,

This thing doesn't need room to get up to speed. Once it comes onto plane, it accellerates from 30 to 80 in about six seconds. It hits top speed in about 10 total seconds and all you really need is around 300 yards at the most for a good shot. However, being from Wisconsin (home of 14,000+ lakes), finding room to run isn't a problem. Finding a lake without a speed limit is. There are a few around the Milwaukee area, but not many. Our best was up on the Petenwell Flowage (a.k.a. Petenwell Lake) of the Wisconsin River. We went full out for six miles. Freakin' fantastic.

The lake the above pictures are on has a speed limit of 50MPH that gets lifted in early October, so last Saturday was legal. A little cool, but nice. It was 55 that day. The damn thing runs like a raped ape when it is cool.

It's a 225 Pro Max (for those wondering) made by Mercury. It's pushing 240 and change at the prop.

Also, it has a tunnel hull, so waves aren't much of a problem. It can take pretty good chop and remain stable. Obviously, not ocean chop.

The only worry is "blow over". The term is self-explanatory.

He's putting a 280 with 320 at the prop on it next Spring. Top speed will be around 115. Pete just wants triple digit numbers with people in it. Like I said, top is at best, 102. With me in it and a full tank (27 gallon fuel cell) it only does around 85. With the 280, he'll still be able to pull around 105 with three people in it.

Wicked awesome!

Kimmy,

Maybe, but my wife has driven this thing as well. NOT just a girl thing, girlfriend. :wink:

verticallaw

Nov 10, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #6 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kick ass. Mine was a tunnel as well, how long is that one, mine was 12'. Mine took the ocean chop o.k. it was actual waves that really f*cked it up. Nothing like hitting a speed bump @ 80 with no wheels.

We actually built 2 (me and a friend) but he was not to swift with the measuring tape and made his tunel crooked (one pontoon was askew) soon as he got a decent speed the pontoon ripped off and his boat sunk. I won $50 and a case of beer for being the last one standing.

dontfall

Nov 10, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jump out of it...i dare you. :twisted: That would be like a human ping pong ball. I jumped outta a boat once at like 35-40, OMFG did that hurt....got water jammed so far up my nose, i thought i would never breath thru it again...

Partner coylec

Nov 10, 2004, 1:36 AM
Post #8 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jump out of it...i dare you. :twisted: That would be like a human ping pong ball. I jumped outta a boat once at like 35-40, OMFG did that hurt....got water jammed so far up my nose, i thought i would never breath thru it again...

'bout 14 years ago, when Bush was fighting a war in Iraq, my family had a ski boat and had those intertubes you towed behind the boat. If you made the right size turn, you could swing those tubes around REALLY fast. My parents have video of me being ejected from the tube and bouncing across the water. and 'cause i was little, it didnt' hurt (because i didn't know it was supposed to hurt). but the next day, i could barely move.

coylec

dlintz

Nov 10, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #9 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, takes me back to high school. My best friend's dad bought a ridiculous boat: homemade 4-seater, with no bow, windshield, or gauges, all it had was an ignition switch, a lever for trimming, and a foot pedal for the gas. A Ford 428 with three 2 barrels and headers occupied the back of the boat. The uncovered engine sat between the two rear seats (loud and scary sitting next to that thing!) and was connected via chain drive to the prop, no reverse. It idled along at about 5 mph so you had to be ready to ski when the rope went tight.
My friend and I would ditch his dad on the shore and go looking for jet boats to race. How we managed to not kill ourselves I'll never know.

d.

Partner tattooed_climber

Nov 10, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #10 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:righton: nice!

that shit must be cool!

dontfall

Nov 10, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #11 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah, takes me back to high school. My best friend's dad bought a ridiculous boat: homemade 4-seater, with no bow, windshield, or gauges, all it had was an ignition switch, a lever for trimming, and a foot pedal for the gas. A Ford 428 with three 2 barrels and headers occupied the back of the boat. The uncovered engine sat between the two rear seats (loud and scary sitting next to that thing!) and was connected via chain drive to the prop, no reverse. It idled along at about 5 mph so you had to be ready to ski when the rope went tight.
My friend and I would ditch his dad on the shore and go looking for jet boats to race. How we managed to not kill ourselves I'll never know.

d.

put straight pipes on that devil....u'd wake up the entire neighboorhood

wildtrail

Nov 10, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #12 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
kick ass. Mine was a tunnel as well, how long is that one, mine was 12'. Mine took the ocean chop o.k. it was actual waves that really f*cked it up. Nothing like hitting a speed bump @ 80 with no wheels.

We actually built 2 (me and a friend) but he was not to swift with the measuring tape and made his tunel crooked (one pontoon was askew) soon as he got a decent speed the pontoon ripped off and his boat sunk. I won $50 and a case of beer for being the last one standing.

The boat is 18' 1" in lenght. It is a Mirage Jaguar Ski Racer Special Edition. They don't make them any more. It's a '92 or something like that. The motor is new, built by GPI Racing from out of St. Cloud, MN (or near St. Cloud).

wildtrail

Nov 10, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #13 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

At 100? It could kill you. I've fallen during knee boarding and water skiing at 30. 30 is bad enough. 100? No thank you. :wink:

bumblie

Nov 10, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #14 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice pics, wild. Speed is good. hur hur hur. It's just so primal, out there going balls to the wall. Woohoo.

wildtrail

Nov 10, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #15 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

d.

Jet boats are slow. I love jet boat people. So arrogant. So thinking they have something fast.

Good story:

There's a guy with a jet boat on the lake my cousin usually floats. It's called Little Muskego Lake, a lake he grew up on and his parents still live on. No speed limit on Little Muskego.

Any way...

There's this guy named Bob (if I recall correctly) who thinks he's hot sh*t and talks about all these races he wins and boats he beats. He's got a big block Chevy for a motor on this jet boat pushing just over 400HP (like 415 or something). Always bragging. Never stops. Just like me and the amount of sex I have with my wife. Only, I don't embellish. I suck.

Any way...

I was sitting on the pier as Pete was putting his boat in and the guy kept flying by, just outside of the no wake buoy, and reving it. Pete knew what he wanted.

Pete let the boat warm up for about five minutes as the guy kept passing and reving and making huge rooster tails by aiming the jet way up.

Pete sat there with a smirk on his face. He knew he could kick his ass.

Long story short, Pete got out there to race. He beat him in the hole shot, accelleration, and top speed. They circled around to come back and Pete, again, beat him in the turn taking a long sweeping outside turn. In other words, the jet boat dork took a tight inside turn and hit the gas, Pete took a long outside turn and hit the gas, and Pete finished the turn first and accellerated past him once again.

Prop-driven motors are faster than jets by far.

240HP beat 400HP. Pretty sad.

The jet boat tops out around 95. Pete hit his limit of up to 102 on a good day about 100 yards before Mr. Jet Man did and kept pulling away. It wasn't even a close race. Once they topped out, they kept going for a bit and Pete was literally 200 feet ahead of him.

Basically, Pete's hole shot was two seconds faster resulting in a two boat-lenght lead. He accellerated much faster resulting in a huge lead. In the end, I figured Pete was ahead a good 200 feet. Jet boat = Pathetic.

I know some may be jet boat enthusiasts, but they cost so much darn money and you don't get nearly enough boat. Pete paid a total of around 16,000 for the boat, motor, and trailer. Boat and motor came together for 7,000 and he had the motor done for around 9,000. The guy with the jet boat paid 40,000. Plus, Pete's boat is way nicer. Here's pictures of it on the trailer. Oh, and yours truly. :wink:

http://www.geocities.com/wildtrail/Mirage1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/wildtrail/Mirage2.jpg

wildtrail

Nov 10, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #16 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice pics, wild. Speed is good. hur hur hur. It's just so primal, out there going balls to the wall. Woohoo.

Thanks, bumblie. Come out to Milwaukee next Spring and you can get a ride in and drive it.

I like things primal; sex, speed, knitting. Nothing like it! :D

unabonger

Nov 10, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #17 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These things should be outlawed. Nothing but a noisy, pointless waste of gas.

If you ever bring that piece of shit to Summersville Lake you'll find out if you can outrun an RPG.

UB

dlintz

Nov 10, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #18 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

d.

Jet boats are slow. I love jet boat people. So arrogant. So thinking they have something fast.

So true, it was a lot of fun burning those dorks.

d.

Partner euroford

Nov 10, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #19 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats awsome! i built a 2.3t motor with a big turbo and an air/water intercooler for a friend in texas who is building something simular. he's still a good ways from having it done, but i'll definitly gly down for a ride when it is!

thats gotta be nuts, it doesn't sound fast by car standards, but i'm sure its a seriously diffrent story on the water.

wildtrail

Nov 11, 2004, 2:32 PM
Post #20 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
pointless waste of gas.

Just like your life.

I'll be there ASAP. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

wildtrail

Nov 11, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #21 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thats awsome! i built a 2.3t motor with a big turbo and an air/water intercooler for a friend in texas who is building something simular. he's still a good ways from having it done, but i'll definitly gly down for a ride when it is!

thats gotta be nuts, it doesn't sound fast by car standards, but i'm sure its a seriously diffrent story on the water.

It's wicked fast on water. Feels completely different in a boat. Intensified to the max. We "cruise" at around 65 making turns and such. Doesn't sound like much because we all drive or exceed that speed on the highway (or city when I'm mad--bit of a road rage problem). :D

Try it in a boat and 65 feels like 120. No seat belt, no steel cage, no windows. Just a 700 pound boat with a small, open cockpit with seats you "squeeze" into. Besides, I've owned a lot of fast cars (matter of fact, I'm going to bring my cousin's gas-wasting boat to Summersville Lake pulled by my gas-wasting '69 Chevelle for Idiotbonger), but I don't think any of them were able to accellerate from 30 to 80 as fast as this thing does. It's literally just a few seconds. Maybe around three. You get some serious kickback into the seat when you hit the gas.

Guess that's why the runs a "drag" prop. :wink:

Get you buddy's boat next summer. There's a lake up here called Lake Tichigan. Every year, they do a big party where everybody anchors there boat to a sandbar near a bar bar. No one does much, mostly drinking and walking around in the water talking to people (lots of 'em in bikinis) with the occassional stop at the nearby bar for another beer (or bring your own). There are some races, but mostly it's a social even with a boat show attached.

unabonger

Nov 11, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #22 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
pointless waste of gas.

Just like your life.

Dude. My life? Where do you go? Up and down the lake? Fast, maybe. But you're still in a fucking lake driving in circles. It's sillier than Nascar.

Anyway, like my grandpa said: If it flies, fucks, or floats, its better to rent than own.

UB

wildtrail

Nov 11, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #23 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The small minded never do get it.

#1 It's not my boat.*

#2 See you on the lake. :wink:

*I am getting one.

You're grandpa sounds like an idiot.

Also, it gets 2 MPG at full out right now. With the new motor, it'll only get around 1 1/2 MPG at full out. It has a 27 gallon fuel cell. We burn two tanks in a single day. We'll burn at thrid one just for you.

Like I give a frig about fossil fuels. I have every right to have fun one weekend out of a month and if it comes with burning lots of fossil fuels attached, so be it. I too am a tree hugger, I'm just not an asinine pecker head that thinks my self-righteousness should be prevalent to every one else's beliefs and opinions. I don't agree with hunting, but I don't get on their case about shooting something.

UB, you seriously need to find something to do with your life. :wink:

unabonger

Nov 15, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #24 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The small minded never do get it.
Obviously.
In reply to:
You're grandpa sounds like an idiot.
Don't say that to me in person.
In reply to:
Also, it gets 2 MPG at full out right now. With the new motor, it'll only get around 1 1/2 MPG at full out. It has a 27 gallon fuel cell. We burn two tanks in a single day. We'll burn at thrid one just for you.
I could give a fuck about gas. It's your money to waste.
In reply to:
I'm just not an asinine pecker head that thinks my self-righteousness should be prevalent to every one else's beliefs and opinions. I don't agree with hunting, but I don't get on their case about shooting something.
I'm not self righteous. I just think its a dumbass activity. You have every right to participate, and I have every right to call it like I see it.
In reply to:
UB, you seriously need to find something to do with your life. :wink:

Me? You took the bait. I merely kept you on the hook, and anyway: You're the one driving around in circles. Wooohooo! As for finding something to do with my life, its pretty full, but I'm always open to suggestions.

UB

wildtrail

Nov 16, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #25 of 27 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice try. :roll:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)