RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

spamtastic

Nov 10, 2004, 1:04 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Camping around red rocks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got a month off from school in january and was thinking of heading out to red rocks. I don't have a lot of money and was wondering if any regulars knew of any cheap or preferably free places to camp that are within a short drive to the park. I have heard that one can camp there but that it would be quite expensive for a month.

rya77@aol.com

slavetogravity

Nov 10, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping around red rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done the illegal camping thing in Red Rocks a couple of times over the years. Unfortunately the Man has made it harder in recent years to get away with it. I've had the cops come and tell me to beat it twice, and that was going back 5 years now.
The legal campground is your only really budget option but sorry to give you some more bad new but you can only stay there for 2 weeks MAX! The two week limit is also strictly enforced.
But don't fret, once your two weeks is up. Pack your car and head to J-tree for a nice change of scenery. The climbing in J-tree may not be as good as Red Rocks but the climbing scene there is about a thousand times better.

mtengaio

Nov 10, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is free camping in a canyon, (I can't remember the name), that is west of Red Rocks. You drive past the pullout to Mt. Potosoi and head over the pass. We ended up camping there last year when the Red Rocks Rendevous was going on and the piece of crap main campground was full. It's about a 25 min. drive each way but when you're talking Red Rocks, that ain't nothin!

the-gnome
Deleted

Nov 10, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are totally self contained (RV), Walmart parking lots seem to be happenin' with the retired set.
Otherwise, talk to the climbing rangers and get a free backcountry camping permit.
The permits are issued to people who are climbing the larger walls and need a couple of days to do it.

The Potato patch road is another good choice, there is a limited number of sites, 4WD is nice to have.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook