RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

genlock

Nov 22, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Need info about canmore! plz!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip for next summer in canmore and I'd like some informations on a few things

Ill be adding questions as they come.. thanks in advance for helping me out!

( some of them might sounds stupid, but here in my area (gatineau/ottawa) all climbing area are in provincial park, can't camp outside specific areas... FAR FAR away from climbing spots)

-Anyone knows any Hotels/Lodges that we can rent per week ( at a reasonnable price 200-250$/week? I heard that they do exist, but havn't found them.

-where can I find (if any) regulations on camping out in the wild? Or what are they?
.. ouside campgrounds, on mountains..

- Three Sisters (Third Sister)
--how cold does it gets in summer near the summit ( let's say between mid june and mid august)
--How Hard is it to hike to the top?
---any snow equipment required?
--is it possible to camp on top of it?

-Any LOOOOONG climbs ( the more pitches, the better) in the area, ranging in the 5.7s?

-Places where I can find Outdoor equipments

-Where can I find more info about the city it self and things to do besides climbing and hiking? Any Caving, Things worth to see.

I heard of prehistoric paintings in the area.. true?

I guess that's it for now.. If any other things you could add, anything important, it would be very apppreciated!

Thanks a lot!!

- Eric

rendog

Nov 22, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need info about canmore! plz! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm planning a trip for next summer in canmore and I'd like some informations on a few things

Ill be adding questions as they come.. thanks in advance for helping me out!

( some of them might sounds stupid, but here in my area (gatineau/ottawa) all climbing area are in provincial park, can't camp outside specific areas... FAR FAR away from climbing spots)

-Anyone knows any Hotels/Lodges that we can rent per week ( at a reasonnable price 200-250$/week? I heard that they do exist, but havn't found them.

-where can I find (if any) regulations on camping out in the wild? Or what are they?
.. ouside campgrounds, on mountains..

alpine club of canada has a place just outside of town. hostel style, plus any info you need to know about camping backcountry

In reply to:
- Three Sisters (Third Sister)
--how cold does it gets in summer near the summit ( let's say between mid june and mid august)
--How Hard is it to hike to the top?
---any snow equipment required?
--is it possible to camp on top of it?

http://www.tourismcanmore.com/2002images/55.jpg

--around 0c at night up to 20c
--moderate
--later in the season, most likely not
--if you want to
In reply to:
-Any LOOOOONG climbs ( the more pitches, the better) in the area, ranging in the 5.7s?

too many to even think about listing. How about the longest sport route north of mexico? 5.10d...22 pitches, or a 300m 5.8+

pick up the guide book called Bow Valley Rockhttp://www.trailstuff.com/...cs/covers/MGC009.jpg
In reply to:
-Places where I can find Outdoor equipments

Valhalla pure outfitters- canmore
Mountain Magic - Banff (personal favorites)
Monods- banff
Gear up rentals- canmore (last resort)

-Where can I find more info about the city it self and things to do besides climbing and hiking? Any Caving, Things worth to see.
canmore
caving Charles young wrote the book (literally) on caving around canmore. he's the owner/ facilitator. Also he'll know where a person can go in and around the area

In reply to:
I heard of prehistoric paintings in the area.. true?
yes at Grassi Lakes

In reply to:
I guess that's it for now.. If any other things you could add, anything important, it would be very apppreciated!

Thanks a lot!!

- Eric

look me up when you get ehre, I'm always looking to take people out climbing

http://www.canmorealberta.com/

broesel

Nov 23, 2004, 2:34 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Darren,
you are DA MAN for getting answers around Canmore. Keep helping...

Christian

web_slave

Nov 23, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm helpful............... :P

Set in the Bow Valley amid the rugged majesty of the Front Ranges of the Canadian Rockies, Canmore enjoys a singular relationship with its surroundings. It is a community with a vision, based on the conviction that environmental sensitivity and economic sustainability can be reconciled.

Following its founding in 1883, Canmore served both as a railway division point and mining town. Today it provides services for the entire Bow Valley and is recognized world-wide as an outdoor recreational and adventure centre.

Canmore's abundant natural and scenic resources are matched by the spirit and energy of its people. The invigorating surrounding and friendly atmosphere of the town make it ideal for people of all ages. The community is a diverse mix of age groups, cultures, occupations and talents united in a commitment to the town and our environment. That commitment finds expression in the community service of enthusiastic volunteers and in the way citizens become actively engaged in local planning.

We respect the town's past, are active in its present, and want to be involved in planning its future. We cherish the fresh air, clean water and magnificent scenery that surrounds us. This is life of a high quality, and the quality of life is what matters most to us. It is a magical and inspiring place that brings out the best in people, a place to be shared with the world.

With the Town's history and future in mind, the Canmore Community Monitoring Program (CCMP) was established to monitor and evaluate trends developing in the community. This was a recommendation in the 1995 Growth Management Strategy Report. The Canmore Community Monitoring Program is designed to assist with municipal and community decision-making; serve as part of an early detection system that assists in identifying risk areas that threaten the health of the community; and presents a snapshot of the community’s progress towards its vision, the Vision of Canmore, 2015.

rendog

Nov 23, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Darren,
you are DA MAN for getting answers around Canmore. Keep helping...

Christian

Hey Germ!!!

when are you coming back man????

kman

Nov 24, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey webslave, you either copied that from a tourism website or you write pamphlets for a living. :wink: which is it?

web_slave

Nov 24, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey webslave, you either copied that from a tourism website or you write pamphlets for a living. :wink: which is it?

Ctrl A + Ctrl C = Ctrl V

rendog

Nov 25, 2004, 1:43 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ :righton:

androids

Nov 25, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if youre interested in scrambles i highly recomend that youu pick up a copy
of "scrambles in the canadian rockies" by allan kane, and forget about the the tourist route on the middle sister, youll never be alone there!! try the wedge in kananakis the veiw is amazing from the peak. i hear the grades are stiffer in canmore than gatineau( having climbed lots in both areas) i highly recomend the 5.6 NE face of chinamans peak its a little runout and the rock is loose, but so is everything else in the rockies(god i love it!) be prepared to tap on rocks before you grab them. you may also wan to invest in some pitons, they come in handy ALOT!

genlock

Nov 25, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks alot guys!!

that's a lot of goood info!!

some more general info about mountain :

at what height do we start having show in summer
what height before getting clouds. ( I know it depends on the type of clouds )

I'll sure get a copy of that book "scrambles in the canadian rockies"

Android:
>>i hear the grades are stiffer in canmore than gatineau
humm.. I tough it was the opposite.. I climbed once at grassi lake, on a so called 5.8... felt like a 5.3.. I'll see when I get there..

well that's it for now.. gotta leave work..

hope to hear from you guys again!
climb safe!!

kman

Nov 26, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
at what height do we start having show in summer
what height before getting clouds. ( I know it depends on the type of clouds )

If your wearing a kilt the show starts at about 3 feet depending on how tall you are :oops:

The cloud thing totally depends.

androids

Nov 26, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grassi lakes is sport climbing though, and next time try meat hooks i can climb half of it in my street shoes but its a 5.11a biggest jugz ive ever fallen from! the trad is harder, no doubt. that 5.8 is not technically difficult but its pumpy, and meant for the kids. most of the time youre nver above the clouds. the weather is unpredictable in canmore area its possible to get snow at almost any height. i got snowed on on grizz peak in august when the temp was in the mid 30's in canmore . was only jsut above 2000m at the time. for every200m theres like a 2 degree drop in temp .

rendog

Nov 26, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Android:
>>i hear the grades are stiffer in canmore than gatineau
humm.. I tough it was the opposite.. I climbed once at grassi lake, on a so called 5.8... felt like a 5.3.. I'll see when I get there..

yeah well man that's sport, becareful climbing the trad around here...there's rock ratings and there's bow vally rock ratings. basically it goes like this: on Yamnuska, if a route was climbed over 15 years ago, add at least a full grade and a bit to it (5.8+ becomes 5.9+ almost .10a). if it was first climbed less thatn 15 years ago add half a grade (5.10a becomes 5.10d)

the rock deffinately leaves something to be diesired as well. if you find a really good hand hold, put it into your pack, you're going to need it later on in the climb

In reply to:
what height before getting clouds

I dunno, I've been quite high with my head in the clouds before

T2

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook