Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

timd

Oct 28, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #101 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Re: Colorado Ice/Snow Partners Ongoing Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ya, come to Rifle (not yet, no !@#$%^ ice). Ouray should be in soon. Has anyone heard about the ice conditions along the I-70 corridor. Oh and by the way, who the heck is Burt Bronson?

mother_sheep

Oct 28, 2004, 2:18 PM
Post #102 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We checked Silver Plume yesterday and there was absolutely nothing there. Not even a little icesicle. So we decided not to check anywhere else off of I-70 because we figured it would be the same. But I am curious if the Shroud at Officer's Gulch has anything on it yet.

zozo

Oct 28, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #103 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so Im all set with the gear - so now what do I do?

Anyone feel like taking a ice virgin out a few times? Id like to go a few times before Ouray just to see what it's all about.

llama

Oct 29, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #104 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Need and ice partner for the early season, mine is stuck renovating his house. :cry: I'd like to get out to Lincoln next week maybe.

timd

Oct 30, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #105 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a drag, I was going to head down to silverplume this weekend and check it out. I guess I'll make other plans. Maybe RMNP or some where along those lines. If I don't find some ice soon I'll just spray down the side of the house

mother_sheep

Nov 1, 2004, 3:21 PM
Post #106 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soooooooo. . . did anyone make it out into the Park this weekend. I'm curious about Black Lake ice.

timd

Nov 5, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #107 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got the beta for the park. NO ICE!!!. I'm still going this weekend just cuz I need to see for myself. Let you know.

mother_sheep

Nov 5, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #108 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just got the beta for the park. NO ICE!!!. I'm still going this weekend just cuz I need to see for myself. Let you know.

Grrrr! That's crazy. My partner and I may be up there as well on Sunday. Either there or up on James Peak. Anyone know how the cornice is doing up on Super Star Couloir?

mother_sheep

Nov 5, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #109 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

Grrrr! That's crazy. There has to be ice!!! My partner and I may be up there as well on Sunday. Either there or up on James Peak. Anyone know how the cornice is doing up on Super Star Couloir?

mjroche

Nov 5, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #110 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No info on the cornice. But, if you're doing that route, remember, you don't go up through the cornice, you bail left onto the rock. Not that that helps if the cornice cuts loose while you're on the route

mbg

Nov 5, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #111 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Enough snow has fallen in the Front Range for avalanches to be a problem. Backcountry skiers have already triggered a slide or two on Berthoud Pass and two Montana climbers were recently killed when they were swept over cliffs on the Sphinx. Early season slides can be especially deadly since they are usually unexpected and the entire snowpack has the potential to go if there is not good adhesion to the ground. Be careful about heading up couloirs, especially if the top has been getting loaded and I’d guess that the Super Star cornice has been building with the howling winds we’ve had this last week.

Have fun and be safe. :)

mbg

Nov 5, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #112 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Enough snow has fallen in the Front Range for avalanches to be a problem. Backcountry skiers have already triggered a slide or two on Berthoud Pass and two Montana climbers were recently killed when they were swept over cliffs on the Sphinx. Early season slides can be especially deadly since they are usually unexpected and the entire snowpack has the potential to go if there is not good adhesion to the ground. Be careful about heading up couloirs, especially if the top has been getting loaded and I’d guess that the Super Star cornice has been building with the howling winds we’ve had this last week.

mother_sheep

Nov 5, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #113 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yeah, I'm not looking to get myself killed or do anything stoopid. But I am looking for some adventure. We'll assess the conditions carefully before we make any decisions.

clymber

Nov 7, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #114 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone out there willing to take a newbie out on some ice...i have all the gear and less brains i think but still willing to go...i live in golden and can go during the week if i get a days notice

timd

Nov 9, 2004, 3:20 AM
Post #115 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have new beta on the park, Red MountainPass and Rifle Mountain Park. Ouray is very thin. There are a few possibilities around the School room area. Beware of the upper bridge (lead area). It is very bony and large (volkswagon) size slabs were falling into the bottom of the gorge. Up Red Mountain Pass the ice looks better. There seem to be a lot of lines forming along the right side of the highway. And as for Rifle Mountain Park, it is bony as well with slabs coming off. I will keep you posted.

mbg

Dec 2, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #116 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D

I hijacked this from cb.com:

Heard this through the grapevine...

"...were at EMS on Sunday and there is a petition concerning farming Boulder Canyon for ice climbing. I talked to the gal at the checkout and she said the City of Boulder is willing to install several spickets where the falls are currently as well as across the road just east of Castle Rock. I don't know if the petition is at Neptune's or not, but if you get a chance please stop by and sign the petition. It would be great if the City of Boulder would all Boulder Canyon to become a mini-Ouray.
- Ben Mottinger

[end]

I head rumors of this happening a while ago but it sounds like the ball might actually be rolling. If Ben's grapevine speaks the truth and if you're tired of the schwag foothills ice that we've seen over the last few years, get your ink on the paper and hopefully we won't have to drive half a day for farmed ice anymore!

mother_sheep

Dec 2, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #117 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KEWL!!! Did anyone else hear rumors of a proposed ice park in Idaho Springs?

sharpie

Dec 2, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #118 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both are true and in the works. Idaho Springs is currently farming ice on the wall behind the wheel, although the official rule for liability reasons is still "do not climb", rumor has it that there will be no penalty or fine if it is climbed. The city of IS is/was behind the initiative to develop an ice park, but it has been delayed in favor of some sort of "Scandinavian Christmas Village" or something similar to that, that the city council believes will bring more revenue to the town. There would be approximately 30-35 routes and may be partially sponsored/supported by Tommy Knockers. If you decide to take the chance and climb it please remember that you are representing the entire ice climbing community: if town authorities ask you to stop please do, and there is a housing development above the falls so please keep a low profile when at the top.

The BC ice climbing initiative is currently in a petition phase and the petition can be signed at EMS, Neptunes and other outdoor shops in Boulder County.

killclimbz

Dec 2, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #119 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ice is already pretty fat at Idaho Springs. Sharpie is probably more up on the news, but last I heard that if it was going to open it would be at the first of the year. Supposedly one of the big things blocking it was that some were worried that there would be a rash of wrecks and slow downs on I70 from gawkers. Well of course there would be, but it would subside after it became part of the 70 experience.

sharpie

Dec 2, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #120 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That concern had been discussed and eschewed to some extent; the town apparently liked the idea of the I70 attention and felt that it would probably encourage people to get off in IS.

The major hold up, as I understand it, is the construction of a bridge from the "viewing area" to the base of the climb on the other side of the creek. The funds to build the bridge, and then ancillary expenses like supplemental insurance for the town, building anchors and perhaps some sort of small walkway at the top, have been redirected to the other town "project" I mentioned.

mbg

Dec 2, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #121 of 327 (40643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit: I see you guys type faster than I do ^ :wink:

I'm not sure if “commercial” climbing at the Idaho Springs ice is such a good idea. Can you imagine the gapers' blocks and accidents that would ensue on an already busy section of I-70 if there were hordes of people swinging their tools up there? Plus, the idea of climbing 200 ft. from a crowded interstate doesn't really sound that attractive.

Do you know who owns the land around the waterwheel?

I’m all for expanding our backyard ice options and with the success of Ouray it’s surprising that nothing around here has been developed yet. Idaho Springs just doesn’t seem like the best place for it; there are other, more low-profile locations in the Denver area that have more options for routes.

sandbag

Dec 2, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #122 of 327 (40637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry if i sound obtuse, but what the hell ever happened to the sense of adventure and discovery by trekking around and searching for frozen waterfalls? I think Ice farming is a way to bring the noob/goob factor way up and crowds, so have at it. ill continue to go hike 4-10 miles and ice boulder or solo stuff unless i find people that still want to foray into the back country....
:roll:

killclimbz

Dec 2, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #123 of 327 (40637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sorry if i sound obtuse, but what the hell ever happened to the sense of adventure and discovery by trekking around and searching for frozen waterfalls? I think Ice farming is a way to bring the noob/goob factor way up and crowds, so have at it. ill continue to go hike 4-10 miles and ice boulder or solo stuff unless i find people that still want to foray into the back country....
:roll:

I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with that. I prefer climbing and snowboarding at areas that don't see as much traffic. I think the Idaho Springs icepark is a great idea. At the very least it'll offer an alternative to other popular areas for people to go to. Idaho Springs would certainly benefit from the traffic. No matter how popular backcountry riding gets, I'll still hike 3-4 hours for one huge run down one of my powder stashes, that will probably only see 3 or 4 descents if any all season. You go with your bad self 8^)

sharpie

Dec 2, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #124 of 327 (40637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would probably cut the traffic Lincoln & Ten Mile see in half or more...that would be enough for me to support it.

sharpie

Dec 2, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #125 of 327 (40637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ill continue to go hike 4-10 miles and ice boulder or solo stuff

You're fucking hard core man... :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook